Oil pressure sending unit - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2013 Thread Starter

Oil pressure sending unit

Hi all: The oil pressure switch on my Ford Lehman stared to give me eratic readings and I knew the oil pressure was fine, so I replaced the sending unit on the block with a new 0-80 lb unit. Now when I first turn the key on the gauge needle goes all the way over to 80 lbs and is pinned there before I even turn the motor over. When I do start the motor, jt goes down to 40lbs and seems to be reading correctly as that was the same reading I had before this problem all started. When I shut down the motor and turn off the key it goes back to 80 lbs and then starts to drop toward zero. When I changed out the pressure switch I also replaced the gauge, I even tried the old guage and it does the same thing. I also have a alarm for low oil pressure that is wired to a different sending unit, and that is working fine. Anybody have an idea what is going on?
Thanks in advance
captden
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2013
Banned

Re: Oil pressure sending unit

Assuming it is an electrical gauge the sending unit probably has a variable resistor that sends current to the gauge. Although all the electrical gauges I have used read zero with the engine off maybe yours is designed to operate that way?

If your sending unit has two wires coming out of it you might try reversing them? I have never seen one with two wires, but who knows?

Paul T

Edit: Actually, IIRC, the sender sends ground to the gauge in varying amounts with battery on the other side of the gauge.

Last edited by dabnis; 08-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2015

There are two type of oil pressure senders one that pulls the voltage to ground (that is the one you have now) as the oil pressure increases and the other is one that allows the voltage to increase as the oil pressure increases. That is the one you need.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-11-2015

Dock

Will keep an eye on this post as well, my oil prssre guage seems to be stuck at 80psi as well which is all the way over, it's a 0-80 scale.. Was working fine last season and just noticed when firing up the engine for spring commissioning.
Stays at 80 even when power off.

Paul
s/v TENACITY - CS36T
post #5 of 6 Old 05-11-2015

Bet gauge is toast or break in wire. Two kinds of senders (two wire).Like in old chev/ford. a broken fuel sender wire would read full or empty, depending on make.

Last edited by Capt Len; 05-11-2015 at 10:11 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-11-2015

I don't know anything about boats but it sure sounds like a polarity problem to me.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.