Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Thread dope for exhaust fittings?

Any effective products to put on the threads of mixing elbows and associated bits to make them easier to disassemble for replacement next time? It took me 3 days of Kroil, a torch, and a 4 foot breaker bar to get them apart this time (although the threads looked remarkably good once I got them apart).
Old 08-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Thread dope for exhaust fittings?

You can get high temperature anti-seize, however, I might then worry about the bolts backing out and leaking exhaust. Best might be to take them apart more often to inspect and clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Been using Hercules Rea-Tuff pipe dope for years and years on exhaust fittings.. You can get it at any Home Depot..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-29-2013

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road

I've used anti seize which seize. Last year i had to use flame to help unscrew the elbow. I use Teflon tape after that. Last week i unscrewed it with just pipe wrench. No struggle. So from now, I'll use Teflon tape. I've no leak with Teflon tape.
Old 08-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I thought teflon would melt/burn well below exhaust gas temps. Perhaps that heat dissipates a bit by the time it soaks to the bolts. Maybe more on some than other setups. I also thought burning teflon was poisonous.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-29-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I thought teflon would melt/burn well below exhaust gas temps. Perhaps that heat dissipates a bit by the time it soaks to the bolts. Maybe more on some than other setups. I also thought burning teflon was poisonous.
Don't they use Teflon to coat frying pans?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-29-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Don't they use Teflon to coat frying pans? "
Yes, and the fine print usually says you will generate phosgene gas and kill someone if you let the Teflon get over 500F. Or gentler words to similar effect.
Ignoring the finer details, Teflon releases nasty gasses when it gets too hot. Which is one reason there are "ceramic" coatings on the better skillets these days, and some of those make Teflon look like junk because they are so much better at not sticking.
Going back to exhaust fittings...I don't think most of the joints would exceed the Teflon critical temperature but I'd verify that before using Teflon there.
Old 08-29-2013

Thought Teflon melts around 600 degs, which would make sense, if manufacturer suggestion is 500. Exhaust gas temps easily exceed 1,000 degs, although, that may not be the temp that reaches the bolts.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 08-30-2013

kentobin is on a distinguished road

More information to amuse and confuse:

Exhaust Pipe Thread Sealer - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 08-30-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thought Teflon melts around 600 degs, which would make sense, if manufacturer suggestion is 500. Exhaust gas temps easily exceed 1,000 degs, although, that may not be the temp that reaches the bolts.
At 1000° there would be melt-downs of all kinds of components. The temperature of the gas that leaves the cylinder head cools really fast when it gets to the cooling jacket around the manifold.

The water that pours into the manifold jacket will never reach boiling point and by the time it reaches the elbow it is probably not hot enough to make tea.

My exhaust has a glass fibre elbow - I suspect that it would burn through quite a lot earlier than 500° - in fact I would be astonished if it reached even 100°C

The mixing elbow has an unfortunate name - it doesn't mix super-hot exhaust gas with cold water. Actually the exhaust gases generally reach the "mixing elbow" heavily laden with water and mostly the elbow is where the excess water that doesn't go to the exhaust manifold jacket is included in the out-flowing mixture. There is no way that it gets hot enough to melt Teflon.

At least that is my experience - YMMV
SVAuspicious and Minnewaska like this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
The Following User Says Thank You to Omatako For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (08-30-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.