SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Yanmar Parts Prices (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/103830-yanmar-parts-prices.html)

White Knight 09-17-2013 11:56 PM

Yanmar Parts Prices

I have just obtained some pricing from our local-New Zealand distributor for parts for a Yanmar 2QM20 and have just got up off the floor.I have been quoted on the following items
Head gasket-NZ$202 approx. USA$160
Thermostat-NZ$105 approx. USA$84
Zincs NZ$22 each approx. USA$16
It has been some time since I have purchased Yanmar spares and these seem awfully expensive to me but can some kind soul tell me it these prices look reasonable in todays market.-Thanks-Chris

boz86 09-18-2013 10:01 AM

Re: Yanmar Parts Prices

Here's one US supplier: Yanmar 2QM20 AND 3QM30 Parts

Problem is, as I understand it, Yanmar tightly controls their suppliers and their territories.

Still, I'd look around. Maybe you could find the tractor equivalent for the gasket and thermostat? Probably not the zinc.

Just some suggestions. I reiterate, I'm not an expert, more of a reader and researcher.

Don0190 09-18-2013 04:13 PM

The thing to do is find out what the tractor etc. engine version of your Yanmar is, that gives you some price relief on the common parts.

Cruisingdad 09-18-2013 04:20 PM

If you don't like that, then you should thank God you didn't buy a Volvo...

Mastry in the US is the distributor. I agree with trying to find the tractor version. You could probably contact Mastry here (Saint Petersburg, Fl) and the might ship to you, but in the end, it might still cost the same.

Brian

White Knight 09-18-2013 07:39 PM

Thanks for the replies-I never thought of going down the tractor road-Looking at the tractor sites it appears that Yanmar have a huge amount of tractor models fitted with small diesels.
I will discuss with tractor folk here in NZ-Thanks again-Chris

fryewe 09-18-2013 07:47 PM

pro-marine.com in the UK lists parts for your engine with the head gasket listing at a bit over 57 pounds. Still expensive but quite a bit less that what you list above.

White Knight 09-18-2013 11:49 PM

Thanks Fryewe,but if Pro Marine are a Yanmar dealer they are unlikely to be able to sell to me due to the strict Yanmar distributor agreements--I would buy if thet could sell-Chris NZ

JimsCAL 09-19-2013 07:52 AM

Unlike Universal and Beta that use Kubota tractor diesels, Yanmar builds its own engines. I think you don't have much choice but go to a Yanmar dealer.

White Knight 09-19-2013 07:28 PM

Yes folks,I am fast realising that my local Yanmar agent is my go to guy-Thanks for the help.

boz86 09-20-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 1090695)
Unlike Universal and Beta that use Kubota tractor diesels, Yanmar builds its own engines. I think you don't have much choice but go to a Yanmar dealer.

I mis-remembered then, sorry about the bum gouge.