Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave Montgomery
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013

Dave Montgomery is on a distinguished road
Smile Homemade exhaust riser outcome....

Well the new exhaust riser is done and installed. Hopefully the pics. show up in this thread. This turned out to be a great solution to buying the original from Yanmar. I believe that it will be much cheaper in the end and easier to repair. I also believe that this DIY system will allow more exhaust out possibly making the engine more efficient. When the riser system does need to be worked on due to corrosion problems it should only involve the several small pipe parts that actually have contact with the salt water. The rest of the housing should be little effected. The amount of raw cooling water and exhaust getting through the engine seems to be much much better than before (of course the original mixing elbow was clogged pretty good). Engine seemed to rev quicker and the exhaust piping is much cooler feeling. If you have questions or concerns please pile on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade exhaust riser outcome....-img_1018.jpg  
eherlihy and bristol299bob like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Homemade exhaust riser outcome....

did you use galvanized pipe to make your exhaust riser or black pipe?
Galvanized is supposed to give off odors in early use.
A heat protective wrap around some of that pipe in the hot section is often used.
Moyer Marine carries an exhaust wrap that would work (not asbestos).

I thought the cooling water entrance point was supposed to be lower than the top of the column?
Otherwise it looks quite solid.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2013

Caleb,

I used black pipe for this system. The silver is high temp paint.

A heat protecting wrap could be used though I am not sure it would be any more needed than on the Yanmar edition which has no wrap. What are you thinking?

Good point on the water inlet. What you cannot see is that where the water comes in at the top, I welded about a 3 1/2 long 1/2 inch black pipe pointing down into the exhaust tube so the water actually does not enter until it gets beyond where the exhaust comes in.

Dave
Old 09-30-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

What a great job I love all the diy stuff.
Old 08-03-2014

finner77 is on a distinguished road

Dave, anything further on this system after a year in service?
I wondered about the actual water injection into the manifold in that it's going straight down the exhaust hose and not touching the metal bits to provide cooling. Would a capped exit pipe that has numerous holes drilled in it's sides to spray water horizontally to the inside of the black pipe be an idea? Your temperature readings would suggest otherwise but it's something that I thought seemed reasonable.
Old 08-03-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Montgomery View Post
Well the new exhaust riser is done and installed. Hopefully the pics. show up in this thread. This turned out to be a great solution to buying the original from Yanmar. I believe that it will be much cheaper in the end and easier to repair. I also believe that this DIY system will allow more exhaust out possibly making the engine more efficient. When the riser system does need to be worked on due to corrosion problems it should only involve the several small pipe parts that actually have contact with the salt water. The rest of the housing should be little effected. The amount of raw cooling water and exhaust getting through the engine seems to be much much better than before (of course the original mixing elbow was clogged pretty good). Engine seemed to rev quicker and the exhaust piping is much cooler feeling. If you have questions or concerns please pile on here.
Just be sure you have a water injection tube extending well down into the part that connects to the rubber hose... Injecting water at the TOP of the elbow, tee in this case, could ruin your day...

All pipe used in exhaust systems should be schedule 80...
RichH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-03-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

I just did something similar for our Yanmar 2QM20H

Full stories and specs here

Total cost - about $40.00

Rik
Old 08-13-2014

Hi all, yes it has been about a year since I created and installed the new riser setup. It has worked flawlessly with quite a few hours on it. I hear all the concerns... Schedule 80, where the manifold water comes in, heat, etc. I have had no problems yet. Towards the end of he summer I will remove the entire system and report how the innards held up. As I stated once before, the engine has seemed to run better ever since I installed this system. Be sure though, I carry the old original cleaned up one with me. I may be dumb but I'm not (totally) stupid! I also like the one listed in this thread by another DIYer. Let's get some feedback on that one also!

Dave
Old 08-13-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

There's nothing magic about the exhaust riser. Main issue is insuring the water injection can't get back into the engine. The Universal 5411 on my previous boat had its riser made up of standard pipe fittings and nipples. When it needed replacement, a trip to Home Depot resulted in all the needed black iron parts for about $30. Nice to see it can be done with a Yanmar.