Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters

This is just getting crazy. Regular oil is pretty inexpensive even the "good" stuff. But if you want to use the synthetic and spend more money and then replace it less in order to SPEND THE SAME AMOUNT go ahead. Hey its' your engine!

When it comes to oil only 2 things can go wrong for you: 1 - you didn't have any in the engine, 2 - it went bad because you are stupid cheap

I'm also in the change the oil in the spring camp. I see no reason to allow good oil to sit in the engine all winter collecting water and then use it the next season. I doubt that the oil I put in at the beginning of season went "bad" in 6 months and less than 100 hours of operation.
Ahoyhoy likes this.
Old 10-07-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"But if you want to use the synthetic and spend more money and then replace it less in order to SPEND THE SAME AMOUNT go ahead."
And who changes your oil for you, wee little elves in the middle of the night?
To me an oil change consumes at least 1/2 hour of my time, draining it out, pouring it in, cleaning up the spills, dumping the old oil someplace, buying new oil and stockpiling it or making the extra trip (add more time), so saving half the oil changes liberates at least a half hour of my time, probably closer to an hour.
And then there are also half as many spills or cleanups. If you think you are only saving ten bucks on oil, or twenty bucks on oil and a filter, you're doing the math wrong.

Then there's the engine itself. I started using Mobil1 back in the mid-0's when it was a radical new product available from no one else. That's because I saw the engine tear-down pictures of commercial fleet engines run on premium motor oil versus synthetic. Take off the valve cover, and the best motor oils you can buy still will leave it coated with tar and coke. Some of that flakes off, and now you've got an oil failure when it plugs an orifice. Same engines, same use, with full synthetic oil? There's no coke, no tar, no blockages.

You don't need a lab to see obvious differences that can literally make or break an engine. But hey, if you want to spend the same amount of money using an obsolete product and consuming twice as much of your time and effort......Isn't that really the way it works out when you do it twice as often? You're not saving anything! And, you're creating twice as much waste in the recycling stream, for the filters and the oil alike.
Ahoyhoy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i change my oil every 100 hours and filters double time.
i change my oil before i sit for summer and after i travel the needed miles to get to wherever i go. sometimes i change oil underway.i changed it before runaway diesel and again just after, and again just before i sail out, and .... mine gets changed many times annually.
i usually travel no fewer than 200 miles each trip, unless bay hopping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
But hey, if you want to spend the same amount of money using an obsolete product and consuming twice as much of your time and effort......Isn't that really the way it works out when you do it twice as often? You're not saving anything! And, you're creating twice as much waste in the recycling stream, for the filters and the oil alike.
Since I change the oil myself ONCE a year no matter what oil I may have used, I don't believe it is costing me any extra time or waste. And the old oil goes into the marina oil recycle tank that is used to heat the place anyway.

I don't know when oil became "obsolete", but based on my oil analysis it is doing a great job!

Synthetic oil has been around way longer than my engine, but just old obsolete oil is what the manufacturer says to use. But if it makes you feel good I'm all for you using it in yours.
Ahoyhoy likes this.
Old 10-07-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I have something of the opposite dilemma to the original poster. I am doing about 120 hours a year, slightly over the 100 hours recommended interval. At around 90 hours the oil is looking very nasty, and I start getting a little mist from the dipstick tube. Clearly it's going out of grade.

So do I change it every 6 months? Stick to 100 hours? Extend it to 120 and change once a year? What does everyone else do?
Old 10-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Some points above are hard to follow, but its seems that some are advocating to skip the Fall oil change prior to layup. If I read that correctly, I have an observation to share. Have you pull the dip stick and seen the oil change from bright amber when new to dark and black? Pretty typical in a diesel, even more so in bigger bore diesels.

Those are contaminants that are bad for your motor. Modern oils have additives that are supposed to protect the motor for a short period of time, however, not all winter. Particularly, not after the oil is a full season old already anyway.

It's your motor, do with it as you wish.
sailak likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-09-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

This thread reminds me I need to change the oil in the boat, tractor, 2 trucks and 2 cars. I am due.

In my current 4 cars (between 23 abd 26 years old and having between 160K and 250K miles, and all daily drivers) I use only dino oil. Also use dino oil in the Yanmar boat engine (34 years old). These engines have never had an oil related problem. The engines have never been "opened" up for any internal engine repair. These engines do not drip any oil and no oil seals have ever been replaced.

I'll stay with the dino oil. I change the boat oil twice a year. and the cars between every 6 months and every year depending on miles. Here in Hawaii temperatures are stable year round. When I lived in cold climate I would change the oil every 6 months no matter what the mileage. I think you get a lot more contaminates in the oil when starting and running in cold climates.

The other thing to think about, when changing oil (especially in a boat), a good deal of oil is still left behind. That oil has contaminants in it that will contaminate your new oil. I like having frequent oil changes to get rid of these contaminants.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.