Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters

I have a Yanmar 1 gm. I changed the oil and the oil and fuel filters before the start of the season, and put maybe 20 hours on the engine this season (really only motor on and off the mooring).

Should I go ahead and do this maintenance again? The manual suggests oil change every 100 hours and oil/fuel filter every 250 hours, so it does not seem necessary, but I'm unsure if there's a reason to do this at a minimum annually regardless of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I have a Yanmar 1 gm. I changed the oil and the oil and fuel filters before the start of the season, and put maybe 20 hours on the engine this season (really only motor on and off the mooring).

Should I go ahead and do this maintenance again? The manual suggests oil change every 100 hours and oil/fuel filter every 250 hours, so it does not seem necessary, but I'm unsure if there's a reason to do this at a minimum annually regardless of hours.
Annually or 100 hours, whichever is sooner. Filter material and more importantly, impellers, deteriorate and can/do fail. BTDT
rikhall likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-04-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

The reason for changing it in the fall is so the acids and contaminates don't sit in the engine all winter.
BarryL, Tempest, rikhall and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Oil, even with 20 hours on it, can have acids and such in it. The thought is to not leave that sitting around in your engine over the winter, and certainly not for years.

At 250hours at your annual rate the oil would be old enough to demand you name it and assign it a berth.
Old 10-04-2013

Ahoyhoy is on a distinguished road

Or, as an option to continually worrying about your need to change it because it has been a year but you only put 20 hours on it, use a proper (not cheap) full synthetic and change it every two or three years if you want to. You will find that you can also double the intervals between filter changes as well. Synthetic costs more initially, but who cares? You spend at most $15 on oil as it stands, and you have a growing concern every season's end and beginning. Put in $25 of a high end synthetic, out a sticker in it to "replace in fall of 2015" and Bob's your uncle". Use the boat as you normally would, maintaining the oil level and running it to temperature when you use it, and sleep well at night, for a lot more nights.
Old 10-04-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

I also have a 1GM and put similarly low hours on it. I change in the fall. As others have pointed out, this means it sits with fresh new oil all winter.

While on this subject, how often do people check their oil?

I've met a few people who check their oil every trip to the boat. This doesn't make sense to me for a few reasons. First, it's a difficult and slightly risky procedure. Dirt/grime can fall in through the dipstick hole and I've dropped the stick in the bilge once (which is 3' deep in my case. That mistake lead to the purchase of one of those lighted grabber things).

Second, the oil alarm sounds (and then shuts off) every time I turn the key (and I always wait to here the oil alarm buzz after killing the engine before turning the key off). So on my boat I consider it one of the most trusted devices.

In an ideal world I'd probably inspect all sorts of things - chainplates, rigging etc every time. But given that I like to go sailing and dislike contorting myself to align a hidden stick through a hidden hole in my engine, I think it's reasonable to skip this step. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by asdf38; 10-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoyhoy View Post
Or, as an option to continually worrying about your need to change it because it has been a year but you only put 20 hours on it, use a proper (not cheap) full synthetic and change it every two or three years if you want to. You will find that you can also double the intervals between filter changes as well. Synthetic costs more initially, but who cares? You spend at most $15 on oil as it stands, and you have a growing concern every season's end and beginning. Put in $25 of a high end synthetic, out a sticker in it to "replace in fall of 2015" and Bob's your uncle". Use the boat as you normally would, maintaining the oil level and running it to temperature when you use it, and sleep well at night, for a lot more nights.

Not true with many diesels. Westerbeke Corporation for example specifically says that synthetics do not change the intervals at which you change the oils.

Westerbeke Corporation:
"10. Can I use synthetic oil in my engine?
Westerbeke does not approve or disapprove the use of synthetic oils. If synthetic oils are used, engine break-in must be performed using conventional oil. Oil change intervals must be as listed in the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE section in the Operator's Manual and not be extended if synthetic oils are used. NOTE: The information above supersedes all previous statements regarding synthetic oil."

"Do not leave old engine lubricating oil in the sump over the winter lay-up period. Lubricating oil and combustion deposits combine to produce harmful chemicals which can reduce the life of internal engine parts."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters

I change oil and all fuel and oil filters annually. If nothing else, it forces me to take a close look at the engine at least once a year. I do the same with my cars and the list of other stuff that I've found that needed tending is long.
Tempest likes this.
Old 10-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The reason that oil change recommendations have both time and hours, is because they degrade on both schedules, independently. Obviously, the more you use the oil, the more contaminants are introduced that can and will eat at your motor. However, fresh oil has chemicals that degrade or evaporate over time, whether you run the motor or not. Those chemicals are also there to prevent corrosion.

I change oil at the beginning of the season and end, and once more if I hit 100hr of use mid-season. I do add fresh oil just before hauling and change it again when I launch, even though it essentially has zero hours on it. Sitting there for five months is bad enough.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Good advice. Thanks. I'll change the oil as well as the oil and fuel filters. The manual did not list a time (i.e, annually) only hours. But, makes sense, as I suspected.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.