Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Delezynski
  • 1 Post By Alex W

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

Dreaming is on a distinguished road
How to Remove Water Heater From Engine Cooling Circuit?

Hey folks,

Due to a drip in the plumbing for the Transom shower that was left unattended for years the hot water heater has become exceptionally corroded.

In preparation for its replacement and because I am afraid of the water heater failing I would like to remove it from my Universal M25XPB Cooling circuit. I know that having a hot water heater hooked up to the engine is basically an optional add on so would I just remove the hoses on the engine side? Or Would I connect the hoses or run a short hose between the two valves?

As you can tell, I'm not all that experienced with working on engines but the owners manual only tells you how to hook up a water heater, not disconnect one.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
S/V "Harmony" 2000 Catalina 310 Hull #31
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: How to Remove Water Heater From Engine Cooling Circuit?

unfortunately that water heater would have done that without the drip. mine all did, so they were ditched. we simply undid the plumbing to and from it, making th ecold water deliver water thru circuit, and blocked off hot water lines.
have fun

you could always follow the trail of the install...backwards..i may have missed a step or two...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-04-2013 at 04:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zeehag For This Useful Post:
Dreaming (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Dreaming,

Short reply....
Just run a short hose between the two valves on the engine, as you said. That should do it. Then remove the heater and close up the lines.

Greg
Ahoyhoy likes this.

Youtube page -
Old 10-04-2013

Dreaming is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Dreaming,

Short reply....
Just run a short hose between the two valves on the engine, as you said. That should do it. Then remove the heater and close up the lines.

Greg
I thought it was that simple but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!
S/V "Harmony" 2000 Catalina 310 Hull #31
Old 10-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The hardest part is pumping all of the water out of the heater so that it doesn't make a mess when you disconnect it.

Removing the hot water heater is a great upgrade. Saves dead weight, gets you back storage space, and removes an almost useless feature.
Dreaming likes this.
Old 10-04-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

When you disconnect the water lines from the engine to / from the heat exchanger, you may get some air in the lines. It may be difficult to bleed the air out. So be very careful to monitor the engine temperature for a few hours after you bypass the water heater. Make sure you know where the bleed screw is located (it should be near the thermostat) and you can open and close it. I would run the engine up to temperature, then open the bleed screw and vent any air in the system. Do this a few times. If you don't get air out, then you are good to go.

Personally, I like having hot water on board. I use it to wash the dishes, and will add some to the solar shower for washing up after swimming. My new boat has a shower in the transom, so the water heater will get even more use.

Lastly, a new water heater is not very expensive. If you can remove the old one you can install a new one. Just saying.

Barry

Old 10-07-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Removing the hot water heater is a great upgrade. Saves dead weight, gets you back storage space, and removes an almost useless feature.
I guess usefulness is in the eye of the beholder. Hot water is one of those civilized bits that entices my better half to do more than just day sail with me, which makes it very useful. Nor am I immune to the delight of a hot water washup, or a warm shower on the transom after coming out of the water.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-07-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I did check with my wife before removing it. She was fine with it and forgot that we even had a hot water heater.

We don't use the engine very much. As a result the hot water heater rarely had hot water in it. The couple of times that I actually got hot water out of it were a complete surprise to me.

When cruising we do keep a solar shower out and on the foredeck. I use this when coming in from a swim. It's only hot enough to swim here if the sun is also out, so the fact that solar showers don't work for 9 months of the year is fine.
Old 10-07-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

The water heater is plumbed to the engine in one of two ways. Either attached inline with the main heat exchanger and exhaust manifold, or as a hot water bypass at the thermostat. My water heater on my M25 was originally in line with the main heat exchanger. If yours is connected here, the simple fix would be to cut the 5/8" line from the heat exchanger, so that it is long enough to connect to the manifold.
Here is a pic showing the locations of the two heat exchanger hoses highlighted in red and yellow;

If yours is, as mine now is, connected to bypass the thermostat, the fix is easier, in that you need only cut the 3/8" line that runs from the top of the thermostat housing, and ensure that it is long enough to make it to the bottom of the thermostat housing.

Here is a pic with the 3/8" hose location highlighted;

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.