Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 73Morgan
  • 1 Post By copacabana
  • 1 Post By bljones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2GM starting issue (sort of)

I have a Yanmar 2GM which runs beautifully (except for the fuel issue this summer but that got sorted out). However, when I push the starter button, sometimes the starter catches on the first push. Other times, it just makes "click" sound and the starter doesn't engage. I may have to push it 2 -7 times before the starter cranks the engine. It has never failed me yet (and has been doing this for a couple of years) and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it goes on one push or seven. I haven't been overly concerned about it, but am thinking that I need to correct it before it gets worse. any suggestions about proabable causes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2GM starting issue (sort of)

This is a well known problem with many engines and a common one with Yanmars. It is due to voltage drop from poor wiring. Do a search, it's been covered many times on this site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2013

73Morgan is on a distinguished road

Clean all of your cable terminals both positive and negative, at the battery and at the engine. If the problem persists check your battery. The best way to do this is to buy a cheap battery load tester from one of the discount tool catalogs. If you have multiple batteries and some cars this tool will come in handy. If your battery is good then it is your starter, either the solenoid sticks or the gears jam, get a rebuilt starter. My guess by the way you are describing the problem it's your starter, but you cant be certain until you check the other things first.
Ahoyhoy likes this.

Last edited by 73Morgan; 10-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

It is a common problem with Yanmars and I thought the most common reason was the solenoid wiring, not the battery cables or battery.

The problem is that the solenoid doesn't have enough voltage/current to make a good connection.

One way to tell whether it might be the solenoid versus the battery wiring is to monitor the system voltage or watch other electronics and lights. If they dim/flicker then you know the solenoid is closing. If they don't dim at all then it's likely the solenoid that's failing to close.

If I remember correctly, good old boat ran an article where someone ran new 14awg wiring from the starter button to the solenoid to solve the problem.

Last edited by asdf38; 10-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

After verifying Battery + cable to solenoid and Ground - cables are clean and secure (as described above) first replacement to try is starter solenoid. "Clicking" indicates solenoid is energizing properly, but not making the required high current connection between battery and starter motor. Cheap, (~30.00) and it fits symptom of intermittent problem.

Contact surface inside is usually a thin metallic disc which contacts the lg copper studs when solenoid is energized. Disk rotates at random helping to distribute erosion caused by high (60-100A) current arcs when contacts open and close. After sufficient wear, disc will be too eroded to make adequate contact in all positions. Repeated engagement of solenoid "joggles" the disk around till eventually you reach a position where the disk will make contact with both studs. Depending on the solenoid type and mfg it is sometimes possible (not recommended) to disassemble the solenoid file the terminal posts and disk to get a faulty solenoid working in a pinch.

When I purchase a solenoid, I am fine with a 'Rebuilt". New terminals and contactors are basically replacing all the parts that wear. Your mileage (or opinion) may vary... While it is possible to replace the solenoid without removing the starter (depending on your engine space), probably best to pull the starter out. While it's out, go ahead and check the brushes, and the bendix for damage/wear. Hey, its already out.. right?

Good luck
Cap' Couillon

Onboard - Solitaire

Last edited by Cap-Couillon; 10-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
This is a well known problem with many engines and a common one with Yanmars. It is due to voltage drop from poor wiring. Do a search, it's been covered many times on this site.
Yep Your right about that! Time to get mucking around with electrical connections. Mast is off as of Sunday anyway, so sailing is out of the question.

Old 10-13-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my Yanmar 3GM30f starter. It never let me down, but having to push the button a few times to get it to start didn't leave me feeling too confident in the starter. I went through all the suggestions above (rebuilt the starter, redid the connections etc.) and in the end I finally opened up the starter button itself on the engine panel and found the problem- carbon build up. A good cleaning and sanding and it now starts on the first push. The button itself is a bit tricky to open up (it wasn't immediately obvious how to disassemble it), but a bit of patience is all you need. Anyway, after checking voltage and connections, if the problem persists you might want to look at the button before you do an expensive rebuild of the starter.
73Morgan likes this.
Old 10-13-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Install a relay.
http://tartan3500.com/uploads/3/1/1/...ter_wiring.pdf
Faster likes this.

Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

That interposing relay works a treat!.. you can use pretty well any 12V relay that's rated for the solenoid's current draw. It's usually the length/small gauge of the long wires between panel and starter that are the culprit.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.