Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013

mandrewman is on a distinguished road
Yanmar SB8 Maintence

New sailboat owner. 78 Hunter 27, and she is great. Ton of fun, ton of worry. And I learn about new stuff to worry about every day.

One thing i have been worried about since buying her is the engine maintenance. Installed and running is a Yanmar SB8. Seems to be a good reliable engine, if a bit loud and not exactly powerful.

The lubricating oil looks pretty black. Should I change it? How do I change it? The fuel filter? Whats up with that thing? Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Portland, OR area that could take a look at my boat, perform whatever maintenance that needs to be done and then give me the rundown of what to do and watch ongoing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013

Re: Yanmar SB8 Maintence

Also I would take book recommendations. I just have zero experience with diesel, let alone marine diesels
Old 10-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Diesels are pretty simple.. got fuel? check... got air? check... got compression? check... chug chug...

By all means change the oil.. you have no idea, probably, when it was last done, but the oil in our engine looks black within minutes of a change anyhow. We typically change oil every 50-100 hours, the filters at the same time. Changing it is neatest if you use a vacuum extractor pump.. drain plugs are tough to get to and you can make a mess. Idealy at some point run a hose from the drainplug to the top of the engine for removal, but many simply insert a tube down the dipstick hole into the sump.

Keep the fuel clean. I routinely use a screened funnel when refueling, it slows things down but prevents catching a tank full of sludge if the fuel dock's running a bit low that day. The fuel filter is crucial to a diesel - and you need a good way to change it and rebleed the system once you're done. Check out the engine based forums here and elsewhere, Google is your friend!

The main difference with marine engines is the cooling side, esp if FWC which yours likely is not..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
mandrewman (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013

One thing I am puzzled about is the apparent lack of an oil filter. So there is some sort of oil... screen... i should clean?
Old 10-08-2013

Ahoyhoy is on a distinguished road

There is an internal oil screen which you clean out by turning the lever back and forth below and to the left of the fuel filter. Generally you do this prior to changing out your warmed oil which then removes the sludge and whatnot. Doing it without changing the oil is simply reintroducing the contaminate to the oil pan for recirculation (not recommended).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahoyhoy For This Useful Post:
mandrewman (10-08-2013)
Old 11-07-2013

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

Drew,
The YSE, YSB and YSM are refinements of the same engine. They do not have an oil filter in the traditional sense, but a screen that should be cleaned. The manuals for the YSM are on line for free, don't know about the YSE or YSB, I never checked. Try searching.
Usual method of changing oil is to pump it out of the dip stick spout. Make sure the oil is warm. First time I tried to pump cool oil.. well just make sure it is warm! You can spend hundreds on an electric pump or about $40.00 for a manual one.

Have at it!
Lou
The Following User Says Thank You to lillia28 For This Useful Post:
mandrewman (11-07-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.