Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013

dszerlag is on a distinguished road
Blowers for a diesel

I have a 86 Pearson 39 that i have been slowly rehabbing. I am trying to clear away some of the clutter and straighten out lazarettes etc. I have noticed that the boat has blowers located in the aft lazarette and near the engine compartment. The boat has the original Westerbeke 46. When it comes to diesels I am a novice but I thought blowers were only needed for gas engines? Is this necessary? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: Blowers for a diesel

A blower gives you more horsepower for the weight. However heavier engines are more dependable, and a blower also reduces the life expectancy of the engine.
Old 10-09-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
A blower gives you more horsepower for the weight. However heavier engines are more dependable, and a blower also reduces the life expectancy of the engine.
I don't think he means a supercharger or turbocharger. He is talking about a ventilation blower.

Yeah, my diesel has them, too. Even though, I don't think there is much danger of an explosion from diesel fumes.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 10-09-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

You don't need then on a diesel.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

However.... having a blower that runs while you run (and ideally another 10 minutes or so) will go a long way to reducing any residual 'odour' after running, and remove some residual heat in summer.

A friend's 2001 Beneteau in the tropics has a blower that stops and starts with the 'ignition' switch. I'm thinking of putting one in even though I have eliminated all leaks and odour is not an issue, heat can be in summer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

What Faster said, while not needed for safety like a gas engine, it will remove excessive heat. During a hot summer day you may appreciate running it for several minutes after shut down. Helps circulate some fresh air which the engine would benefit from as well

I have one to remove heat primarily because I have a battery bank nearby.

I know a few sailors whom didn't know they had blowers till several years of ownership

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I don't think he means a supercharger or turbocharger. He is talking about a ventilation blower.

Yeah, my diesel has them, too. Even though, I don't think there is much danger of an explosion from diesel fumes.
Yes, thanks I should have been more specific, they are for ventilation. There is quite a bit of the flex duct in the compartments. Also the blower does not come on with ignition but rather its own switch on the breaker panel.
I look forward to cleaning that all out.
Old 10-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
What Faster said, while not needed for safety like a gas engine, it will remove excessive heat. During a hot summer day you may appreciate running it for several minutes after shut down. Helps circulate some fresh air which the engine would benefit from as well

I have one to remove heat primarily because I have a battery bank nearby.

I know a few sailors whom didn't know they had blowers till several years of ownership
I am going to be taking the boat to So. Florida next year so maybe I will rethink the removal. Thank you
Old 10-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

FWIW...when I re-powered I replaced the 30 year old blower, when I did...I didn't put any vent hose on it since its high in the engine room and heat rises, I didn't see the point?

Of course on a gas engine where the fumes are heavier then air and your trying to exhaust the fumes you need to run the flex vent hose low in the bilge

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
I have a 86 Pearson 39 that i have been slowly rehabbing. I am trying to clear away some of the clutter and straighten out lazarettes etc. I have noticed that the boat has blowers located in the aft lazarette and near the engine compartment. The boat has the original Westerbeke 46. When it comes to diesels I am a novice but I thought blowers were only needed for gas engines? Is this necessary? Thanks
If there are two, one will be for exhaust, connected to a vent tube that is positioned near the high point in the engine compartment, to remove hot air. The second will blow relatively cooler outside ambient air into a vent tube (or several connected to one another at a plenum) that terminate near the bottom of the engine compartment. The cooler the air that the engine intakes, the more efficient the engine and the cooler it runs. The vent blowers do make quite a difference as others have noted, above.

FWIW...
irmedic likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.