Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Shaft/gearbox coming away from engine!!

Has anyone had this happen??

It just happened to us. Out for a pleasant weekend sailing, go to motor off the anchor and the engine won't go into gear. Strange crunching and metal noises. Have a look in the engine bay and the gearbox/shaft has come off the(now cracked) casing thingy.

Very annoying.

Had my shaft seal(a pss dripless) replaced recently...and the engine lifted to better align. hmmmm could that have caused the engine and gearbox to no longer be friends?

At the moment we are happily anchored in a delightful, wonderful little anchorage. 500 nm from the mechanic that did the work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 10-13-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013
Picnic Sailor

Re: Shaft/gearbox coming away from engine!!

Exhibit A
[/URL]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

the people that did the shaft work and new PSS will claim 'NOTHING WE DID"! were bolts missing from the flange? One bolt missing would cause it stress the rest of the mounting plate. Did you get back to port ok?

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Wow... amazed at the degree of failure of that mounting flange. Must have been subjected to some stresses unless it was a faulty casting to begin with.

Did the dripless seal hold still?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Well

The cracks i can see are BRAND NEW and i do NOT see any OLD cracks which would have lost that shiny new look pretty fast

i only see TWO bolts in place and two or more empty holes ?

It does look the crack started on top and speaking of the top were is it ?

i guess the good news is it only looks like the flange is damaged

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-13-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Chall, I would guess it was an alignment problem that caused this. If the shaft and engine had been in perfect alignment the forces on the bolts and flange are minimal (there is no force trying to push the flange sideways). Being 500nm away from the guys who aligned your engine makes going after them a bit harder ... I also question why they didn't replace the bolts with new ones- anyone who doesn't replace rusty bolts is obviously not very thorough in my opinion. I hope you can get it fixed where you are.
Old 10-13-2013
Picnic Sailor

Thanks all for advice and encouragement.
The dripless seal did hold, but I do have to sail a few miles to get us back I am concerned about shaft movement and the seal giving way.

Last edited by chall03; 10-13-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Thanks all for advice and encouragement.
The dripless seal did hold, but I do have to sail a few miles to get us back I am concerned about shaft movement and the seal giving way.
Chall... I'd wrap the collar and the bellows end ring wth some decent tape before you start bouncing around under sail.. if those two rings shift from each other they leak a lot...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-13-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Chall, I would guess it was an alignment problem that caused this. If the shaft and engine had been in perfect alignment the forces on the bolts and flange are minimal (there is no force trying to push the flange sideways). Being 500nm away from the guys who aligned your engine makes going after them a bit harder ... I also question why they didn't replace the bolts with new ones- anyone who doesn't replace rusty bolts is obviously not very thorough in my opinion. I hope you can get it fixed where you are.
I can't imagine why a re-alignment of engine/shaft would require the bolts holding the bellhousing (cracked part) to the engine to be removed.

I can imagine that a serious misalignment would cause the housing to eventually break but by then anyone in the boat would have to have their teeth seen to after having them rattle loose.

Maybe the lifting of the engine/transmission from the back could have cracked the housing if the engine was lifted far enough to come in contact with something else on the way up ( like a bulkhead). As Tommays says, those cracks are clearly brand new so something recent has changed to cause this.

Did the contractor replace any engine mounts? Maybe that required a higher lift that usual. A simple re-aligment would not require a very high lift of the assembly, maybe a few millimetres.

Sure is strange
Jgbrown likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-13-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

CH .... all I can say is erk. We've had something similar happen on two occasions. After installing new shaft seal the mechanic firstly failed to properly fit the clamps. As soon as she went into gear the entire thing simply ripped away. Nearly lost her over that. Secondly, they had failed to properly tighten the connection from shaft to gearbox so that it simply separated itself and the shaft tried to exit stage rear. Thankfully the only damage we suffered was to my poor skinned knuckles as I tried to reattach the bloody thing while we were still moving.

btw .. what Fast said. You need to stabilise the shaft before you go for a sail. You do not want the damn thing moving about or even sliding out and possibly getting tangled up in your rudder. Obviously that would depend on where you rudder is in relation to your prop.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.