SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Water in Cylinders (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/104681-water-cylinders.html)

mikogold 10-13-2013 07:41 PM

Water in Cylinders

Hi, I tried to start my yanmar today and after a few minutes that Icould not start it, the engine began to throw salt water through the air intake. Then I realized that my water separation filter was half empty. I closed the water intake, and open the decompression valves on my engine, but by then my battery was out. I understand that the water got into the engine due to my excessive starting, but ow should I get the remaining water out of the cylinders?

desert rat 10-13-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Water in Cylinders

What you SHOULD do is romove the head and dry out every little bit of water in the
system and oil the piston rings. I wouldn't go that far. You need a good cranking battery. drain all water from the intake manifold. open the preasure release and clear all the water you can from the cylinder. drain the intake manifold again. Then start the engine and run it up to temp. Hoping that it doesn't explode from water in the cylinder.

Faster 10-13-2013 07:58 PM

Drain the water lift too, and keep the water intake shut until it starts. But if you get at this soon you'll probably be OK...

mikogold 10-13-2013 08:12 PM

stupid question but, how do I drain the water from the intake manifold/lift?

Maine Sail 10-13-2013 08:21 PM

You may need to pull an injector to get the water out of the cylinder. You will then have multiple oil changes. Once youve change the oil enough so it exhibits no milkyness then go run the engine hard to dry it out internally...

Delezynski 10-13-2013 08:21 PM

A note here.....

EVERY hour you wait, the bigger the problem!!! DO IT FAST!!!! or you will have frozen engine.

Greg

Faster 10-13-2013 08:25 PM

We've had success in the past with a friend's yanmar w/decompression, cranking the engine with the levers open 'pumped' the water out the intake.. drained the muffler to be certain there was nothing near the engine in the exhaust side, got it running right away.

Certainly a few oil changes as recommended by MS is a must-do.

CalebD 10-13-2013 08:36 PM

This problem often happens when you have to do excessive cranking to get the motor to start. If you suspect a reluctance to start you should ALWAYS leave the cooling water valve closed until the engine starts up.

How do you get the water out?
Hopefully gravity will help you here. Check your engine oil; it should have water in it, under the oil. A few rapid oil changes with a cheap oil should get most of the water out. Make your last oil change with a good diesel or "C" (compression) rated oil (Rotella T is one).
As for water in the cylinders: cranking engine with decompression levers open may help move any water in the cylinders. With my Atomic 4 gas engine I would pour some Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinder chambers via the spark plug holes - not sure if this is feasible with diesel injectors.

As already mentioned you should try to get the engine running ASAP and up to full temperature. I'd do 2 oil changes with a crappy oil before doing anything, then try to get it running. If you get it running then do the last oil change before the oil gets really hot.

mikogold 10-14-2013 01:49 PM

YEY!!
Engine is up an running
Thank you all for the help

engineer_sailor 10-14-2013 08:41 PM

Water in Cylinders

Any details on the procedure you followed and issues encountered? Might make a nice case study if/when others suffer a similar fate

Josh