Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Injectors: Rebuild or Replace?

I'm getting some soot on the transom, and suspect that my c.1986 Universal M25 (Kubota D850) injectors have never received any love.

I therefore went to my local Kubota dealer, and asked if their service department did injector rebuilds. They, in turn, referred me to three local hydraulic and truck parts businesses. None of the three list injector rebuilds as a service that they offer, or have I been able to reach them by phone.

I was able to find the injector for ~$63 on line (plus shipping). The description is;
Quote:
D750/D850/D950/V1100/V1200/D1402/V1702/V1902/S2600/S2800 Injector - KUBOTA BRAND PART
Can anyone here recommend a business in Eastern Massachusetts or Rhode Island that would service injectors, and ball park what it would cost? Or, at the above price, do you think that I should swap the old with the new? My concern is that the opening pressure on a new injector may not be properly set.

For the benefit of others, the injector housing requires a 27MM wrench.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Injectors: Rebuild or Replace?

We paid approx $100/injector to get our Boschs rebuilt.. a new one at less money seems a good bet.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-14-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I always prefer new to rebuild. Your price is excellent. And you can keep your originals as back ups.

FYI I get some soot on the transom of my O 35 and it seems that 9 out of 10 boats have soot on theirs too. Unless you have some other problem, I would just as soon leave well enough alone. Do you get to full RPM (or as high as you got previously?) Are you now burning more gallons per hour? Has your speed at RPM decreased? And finally, how is the boat bottom and prop? If the bottom and prop are fouled it will take more force to move the boat through the water and the load on the engine will increase.

Barry

Old 10-14-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You might try asking at a local truck depot. Or municipal BUS depot. Any freight company or parking lot where there are lots of trucks, and someone knows a local rebuild shop. Or for that matter, look for one on the internet, injectors are easy enough to ship. I'd expect a local NAPA store to know a local rebuilder, too.

The pros and cons are that if you are having them rebuilt, the quality of the work may vary. As opposed to buying new "gen-you-whine" OEM parts, which might cost more.

IIRC black soot can also mean the injector timing is off, rather than injector problems.
Old 10-14-2013
Learning the HARD way...

... you know, I pointed a guy to where he could buy the same injector for $45 in another thread....
jimgo likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Old 10-14-2013
Learning the HARD way...

My thought is that the timing may be off because the springs in the injector have weakened over the past 26 years. Lower opening pressure, means that the injector will spray sooner, thus soot on the transom..

Old 10-14-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

I would have the injectors pop tested before deciding to rebuild or replace. My local guy will test them for free.
Ahoyhoy likes this.
Old 10-14-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Aren't injectors just super high pressure nozzles? The pump produces the super high pressure and sends it out like the distributor on a gas engine? so I looked it up.. this is how they work.

my current "project"!
Old 10-14-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Get the $45 replacements.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-14-2013

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Injectors: Rebuild or Replace?

Starting simple always seems to minimize pain with old engines.
Other potential causes of soot on transom:

1. Is the air filter clean and air intake unobstructed?

2. Clean bottom?

3. Proper prop size and free of entanglement or growth?

4. Is the fuel clean?

5. Is the exhaust path unobstructed (hose, manifold, etc.)? Excessive back pressure can inhibit air flow.

6. Did any injector cleaner solutions help?

7. Have you tried running under WOT in hopes of burning off any carbon buildup that might cause irregular spray patterns (assuming engine reaches rated RPM)?

I agree with BarryL that leaving the injectors alone unless absolutely necessary.

Josh
lillia28 likes this.