SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   20 hours on diesel this summer. change oil or not? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/104987-20-hours-diesel-summer-change-oil-not.html)

jasonr575 10-23-2013 10:54 AM

20 hours on diesel this summer. change oil or not?

Because of a medical issue and other things I only put about 20 hours on my Morgan sailboat with a Perkins 4-108. I usually change oil and filter at the end of summer. Should I bother with such low hours on this year or what. I know the hard fast rule is to change every year or x hours but I would like some realistic opinions. Is it really needed ?

MikeOReilly 10-23-2013 11:03 AM

Re: 20 hours on diesel this summer. change oil or not?

I've got the almost identical situation Jason: 4108, very low hours this season. My boat gets pulled and winterized for the winter months and I always change the oil at the end of the season, no matter how many hours I've put on.

I'm far from an expert, but I've always been warned that used oil will contain acids that are not good to sit in your engine. Changing oil seems to be a cheap and easy way to help keep the old beast working well. I have skipped changing my filter some years, but always change the oil.

chucklesR 10-23-2013 11:09 AM

Yes, used oil has acid's in it that you don't want leaving sitting around all winter.

arf145 10-23-2013 08:04 PM

Yes, you change the oil anyway. And hopefully your engine didn't overhear you thinking about skipping it. :)

DJR351 10-23-2013 09:26 PM

If you look at most new boat/car/truck/motorbike etc etc engine service requirements, you will usually see the intervals of oil change in miles/kilometres/hours and a time period followed by "whichever comes first"......

The reason for the time period is as others have stated regarding acidity in the oil possibly doing damage while just sitting.....

vtsailguy 10-23-2013 09:31 PM

I have the SAME situation. I changed the oil. A few minutes and $15 in oil. Most worth it. I'll wait till spring to change the filters tho

Stonecutter36 10-27-2013 08:33 PM

I do a seasonal oil and filter change cheap insurance for the cost of an engin
NS

and Im a tight wad with money won/t spend a nickel if can avoid it

Minnewaska 10-28-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonr575 (Post 1109442)
.......I would like some realistic opinions. Is it really needed ?

Not sure what a realistic opinion would be in this case. The petro industry tells us that the corrosion preventatives in their oils will degrade over a published time. Therefore, we change it out in the time.

If you failed to do this on one single season, it would then do damage. Would you notice the damage? Couldn't say. But, if you did, wouldn't you serious regret not swapping out a few quarts of oil.

rikhall 10-28-2013 02:40 PM

Let's see:
  • Oil - $20.00
  • Filter $5.00
Peace of mind - priceless :)

And you get to spend another hour on your boat!

Rik

Missingyou 10-28-2013 02:55 PM

I'm of a slightly different school of thought. I just changed my oil because it had passed the 50 hour new engine break in. It will have about 20 additional hours on it when I winterize. I'm not changing it again, instead I am going to take an oil sample and send it away for testing (about $20 with postage). I hope to get a better sense of real oil change intervals by the time the warranty runs out. Most modern oils have plenty additives to control PH, unlike the old days of SAE 30 or 40. I think changing the oil 'just because' is a bit wasteful nowadays.

That being said as the others have stated, it's hard to argue with the low cost of an oil change. It really isn't that expensive compared to a new engine.