Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013

charleston is on a distinguished road
Oil overfill in 1gm Yanmar

I recently purchased an oil filter and changed the oil on my Yanmar 1gm. I overfilled the oil and ran the motor afterwards. After bogging down with increased rpm I checked oil again to discover I had overfilled.
I removed oil down to half way of stick but still I bog down.
Is my problem a bad oil filter? Did I damage something? Would changing fuel filter remedy as increased throttle chokes motor down? Do I need a pro out to diagnose and repair?
Bayfield 25 in Charleston
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil overfill in 1gm Yanmar

"Bog down"? will it reach max rpm as it did before you changed the oil? Is there much exhaust smoke? Any other work done at the same time? Is the oil pressure the same as before? some filters may have differing relief valves.

Maybe excess oil has accumulated in the crankcase breather system, causing an "extra fuel" condition? Let us know what you find.

Paul T
Old 11-02-2013

It will not reach max rpm as before. It starts right up but then any throttle above idle causes it to die and shut off as if it is flooding out. The oil pressure light does not come on and I do not have a pressure gauge.
No exhaust smoke and not sure how to check crankcase breather.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleston View Post
It will not reach max rpm as before. It starts right up but then any throttle above idle causes it to die and shut off as if it is flooding out. The oil pressure light does not come on and I do not have a pressure gauge.
No exhaust smoke and not sure how to check crankcase breather.
Thanks for your reply.
Pull the filter head/cover off your air intake and check the core. It may be sufficiently saturated with oil forced through the breather tube that it will not allow enough air to be drawn into the engine to support higher rpm combustion. Replacing the filter core is pretty easy.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-02-2013

Thanks. I will try this. So I need to purchase a new "filter core" and replace it for a probable solution?
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Thanks. I will try this. So I need to purchase a new "filter core" and replace it for a probable solution?
No hands on experience with your specific engine. You may have a rubber hose, about 1" in diameter, that runs from the valve cover to the intake tract, either before or after the air filter. As SV said, it may have plugged up the air filter? If it is not smoking excessively, it may be starving for air.

Oil may accumulate in any low spot in the crankcase breather hose or in the intake tract. The air filter is a likely suspect. No other work done at the same time?

Paul T
Old 11-02-2013

No other work done except to change oil filter. Have not changed fuel filter and not wanting to yet unless need be.
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
No other work done except to change oil filter. Have not changed fuel filter and not wanting to yet unless need be.
OK, kind of looks like the extra oil may have found it's way into the intake tract, as SV mentioned. I doubt that the oil filter capacity would vary that much to effect anything.

As mentioned, different filters may have different pressure relief values, but I doubt that would cause your stalling problems unless you have a system that senses low pressure and attempts to shut down the engine. Probably a stretch, however, you might try a genuine Yanmar filter. I have read about some high pressure injector pumps being operated by the engine oil pressure, don't know about Yanmar?

Likely it may be excess oil somewhere in the intake tract.

Paul T
Old 11-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The intake filter on the 1GM is on the aft side of the engine, above the bell housing/transmission and somewhat resembles a pot with a long snout, normally facing downward. A couple of cam-lock latches hold it in place. The filter core is either foam or in some cases paper with an accordion fold. In either case, the core can become saturated with oil from the breather tube, which plugs into the side of the filter housing. Frankly the 1 and 2GM motors are pretty idiot proof and very reliable so I would be surprised if you have done any more than foul the intake filter. In future, pay attention to the oil capacity of the motor and the amount you remove during an oil change, including about 1/2-2/3'rds of a quart for the filter canister, assuming you are also replacing the filter. N'any case, don't worry about it. Other's have done worse.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-03-2013

Sounds like SV has "been there & done that". If the air filter is clean & no oil accumulating, MAYBE, a real stretch, your fuel filter has just decided to pack it in? I can't think of anything else, maybe tank vent , air leak, or other "normal" fuel system related problems. Curious to know what you find. I am assuming it stalls when out of gear?

Paul T