Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013

nramsey is on a distinguished road
Motor mount replacement

My 1986 O'Day 40 needs new motor mounts.
The mechanical work is familiar but I've never lifted a motor in a sailboat.

The first thing I learned is that the prop shaft needs to be disconnected!
I found this out by putting a scissor jack under the front of the engine, spreading the load with heavy plywood, and jacking it up a very little. Water gushed out from underneath the jack and for 2 or 3 heartbeats I thought I'd pushed the jack through the bottom of the boat. Then my brain started to function and I remembered that I am replacing the mounts because the engine shifts so far forward when in reverse that the PSS seal sprays water in surprising amounts

However it has planted a large seed of doubt about jacking the engine this way. Has anyone out there have any experience lifting a similar engine (Westerbeke W46) in a similarly designed boat (2 parallel deep fiberglass beams with access holes cut out for bolt access and a sump underneath?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Motor mount replacement

The thing with the PSS seal is that you must keep proper pressure on the sealing collars.. that pressure is provided by the bellows hose against the (fixed) position of the motor and gear.. remove that restraint, the bellows follows the coupling forward and gush ..

So first you need to 'seal' the seal. This can be done with good tape sealing the gap between the collars.. but it sounds like you have a V drive and that makes access a real PITA. - Not to mention the 'direct lift' that that applies to the shaft and seal. In fact you possibly can't easily do this in the water with a V drive and a PSS seal.

You could try to loosen a mount, both on the adjusting stud and at the engine bearer beam, and lift that one corner just enough to slip the mount out... and reinstall the new, doing them one at a time. Alternatively, if the mount bracket attached to the motor is removable, support the engine, remove both the mount and the motor attachment bracket, change mount and reassemble.

If you do tape the seal for this job don't forget to remove the tape before engaging the gear again...

Best of luck...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook