Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013
Not that kind of Captain.

boz86 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ka lunk

Thanks Zeehag,

Sounds like you lucked out in your breakdown location.

Boz
zeehag likes this.
Old 11-22-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz86 View Post
Thanks Zeehag,

Sounds like you lucked out in your breakdown location.

Boz
awesomest of guardian angels evvvaaahhhh!! they guide me and bird and bubba to where we need to be, and is deeply appreciated.
once my cruise for repairs is complete i can run my cruise for pleasure..lol i am enjoying this adventure completely--even the breakdowns, and i am thankful my breakdowns are educational and in the best places possible for finding new bits and pieces for this boat.
as well as finding friends who i am able to help in various ways, as well as vice versa. we all meet for a reason.
some of the adventures i have enjoyed have been humorous and some scary, but it is all a part of the lifestyle i chose, so i best find reason for enjoyment of it, ye think?? i am not changing my lifestyle fro lack or a fridge or breakdown of a lil thing like engine or whatever....i find the part and continue...is fun and challenging and worth it.
i think some over prep because of a fear of whatever thy may fear out here..unknown, sharks, whales, half sunken containers.. pirates, sirens, mermaids, failure, whatever.....once the reason for delay is dealt with, going is really easy.
my reason was that i loved my work and wasnt ready to leave it and go.. once i didnt have that, it was easy to haul out and sail south.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013

latest development in the ka lunk de kalunking process....we managed to break a woodruff key on front of engine...crankshaft bolt....soo......seems this happened for a definite reason..old and worn parts do not hold up long, so they are saying it is time, do it NOW. ok.. no problem...the parts are here somewhere, is just locating....in spanish...... at realistic prices...lol.. yes my boat did break in correct place.

Last edited by zeehag; 11-22-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Not to stress you in paradise but may I suggest carefully measuring piston height while the head is off. Can indicate condition of parts lower down. Consider that the high revs turn a bearing shell which cuts off oil to wrist pin , rings and cooling of piston. Signs of gauling ,glazing /seizing may be visible before reassembly. Broken valve springs not good either. A lost nail can lose a kingdom, even at sea.
Old 11-22-2013

we gonna look see really good before putting it together as many things coulda happened and all my things to do usually follow worst case scenario pattern.....even without audible detonation..now we going on possibility of silent detonation, possibly occurring during increasing rpms of runaway. we will have a wondrous engine when we are done. hopefully not costing too many firstborns as i only have one of those.
we have a loong uphill slog before we can haul this beast out of water, so i hope it makes it as i am in the only true furycme hole i know of in mexico, short of huatulco, which is south of formation zone.

Old 11-22-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
latest development in the ka lunk de kalunking process....we managed to break a woodruff key on front of engine...crankshaft bolt....soo......seems this happened for a definite reason..old and worn parts do not hold up long, so they are saying it is time, do it NOW. ok.. no problem...the parts are here somewhere, is just locating....in spanish...... at realistic prices...lol.. yes my boat did break in correct place.
Oh my, that is too bad, it must really be stuck. Sounds like more than a ring & hone job. Sounds like chain hoist time.

Paul T
Old 11-22-2013

we will win.. the woodruff key was old and worn and very thin.... we get now ones and try again and oil will have more time to play in the engine.....

Old 11-22-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I am sure that you have heard this before, but; the definition of cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places... Have fun, and enjoy!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-22-2013

for past 4 years i been making trip and repair reports... this is an awesome lifestyle, and places are not as difficult for finding parts as you would believe.
seems each estado has a particular specialty as far as repair parts is concerned, and i have been fortunate to break down in places which are perfect for the repair of those bits that beak on my boat.
i found the most awesome rebuilder for injector pump and lift pump and a good furycame hole for summer repairs.
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!

Old 01-28-2014

ka lunk update and happy dance time, boys and girls....
mechanic came with facilitator to my boat via panga. we determined that at minimum we need head gasket as it is a basket case... and tomorrow engine goes to jolupa fro machining and internal inspections.
so we begin......ˇˇfinalmente!!
jimgo likes this.