Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ka lunk

While it is out, consider new engine mounts. They really do stiffen up, and eventually crack. So, a lot less labor to just change them now, while the engine is out.

Of course the big question is whether to just repaint the engine, or have it properly recovered in mirrored bits and spangles before it goes back in. (G)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

engine mounts are good..were inspectred and secured...lol you would not believe how the engine was sitting in the well...lol...
it took 3 of us to lift that beastie out the main saloon overhead hatch.. and during the lift out, we had a nice panga wake to surf..engine was half up and out...lol.... we survived..was a job and half, but engine is now at mechanic´s house in joluco. it will travel to manzanillo for machining, parts will go to casimiro castillo for fuel line parts and service..injectors, etc..the injector pump rebuilder, javier, is friends with my mechanic...so it is awesome!!!
and, so... we will update and advise as to progress as it happens....i coulo dwell have an engine como nuevo in under one month...lol life rocks. and for under 1000 so far in parts and labor.
yes i did break down in the right place.
we using no gringos and no foreign businesses..all mexican. i spoke with the one against whom i received many warnings of poor workmanship--a gringo, no less..lol...and he exhibited only ego and disgust for perkins 4-108. he desires 10k or more usd for his services. not my style. too much reported fail for the dollar.
i love this cruiser network we have..word of mouth goes a loooonnnggg way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

HA HA HA HAHA yesterday i met with mechanic. i was shown pix of interior of my block...wholly schwartzes batmon,....never saw an interior so chewed up entirely..only salvageable bits were block, cam and crank.... EVERYTHING else was twisted, torn, ripped. wtf´d into mayhem and only good for recycling of metals..... whew.
wish i had the pix to post so we could poll for the ultimate price i will have to pay for this rebuild.....
consider, so far....
and 6000 remaining.
medium is PESOS. we are now 13 pesos to one u s dollar, but effectively that works out to 12.5 in transactions.
you do the math...
essentially brand new engine with awesome paint job, much to mechanix dismay..lol...we see what colors he chooses for the block and associated, now in machinist shop, parts.....
so we looking early may,then tank build... that will be a kick.....

oh yeah...forgot to mention that mechanic and son saw motor mounts and approved, as wellas the affixment of same to stringers etc...and fuel and oil filters andwet muffler system.......

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 03-26-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2014

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Wow, sounds like quite a mess.
At least the block, crank and cam are ok. That's something....I guess.
No slobbering on the charts.