Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Ka lunk

ok so i went into marina here in barra de navidad in june, towed in, ignominiously, by panga due to runaway diesel experience... fun.... we even grounded softly on way into marina and lost steering..lol cable jumped off quadrant -- is fixed .
we have been fixing everything except engine over the past 5 months, and now we get around to the problem we dont wanna deal with. i even has some , err, one set ratlines on main mast shrouding. found wood for belaying pin rails fro december for my christmas present to boat.

we looked all over block for numbers. finding none of the indented variety, we decided ours is a bastid perkins sin numeros and therefore deserves different colors.

ok and parts will look even different after our artist is dine with certain lil bits she is painting with pretties and intricate lil stufffies which will not be known even by me until it is done.

so.
so far engine went back together nicely...had to fab some bushings for fuel line...went to injector place for diesel bits//funny how they were closed, so we went to a transmission shop and had some made... price was excellent..nada/ gratis.. wow. i love mexico. try that in usa!!!
so my boat is one with spare bushings for injetionsystem. lol
then we go to start the beastie.

KALUNK

ok. corrosion on terminals. fixed.now i has better battery power.
next day we do some more lil stuffies to engine beast....

KALUNK

now i am asked if i have a pry bar. (some of you know what is next..lol)

no pry bar in marina. ok. so all boats here are megas and some very few cruisers who left for summer...

OK GUYS, WHY DONT YE CARRY A PRY BAR IN YOUR CRUISING BOATS!!???

SOO..... spozedly today we lube beejeeziz out of the interior of engine and wait.
prybar is being built. is raining like crazy today as we are under a pretend tropical storm wannabe(is too late in season for a real one) so work may have to wait to tomorrow yet again....(see how it coulda seized up , as we had to wait a lot this past season. we had letters A-S form over us in some fashion, as we are southwest coast of mexico, 20 miles north of manzanillo)

yeah . the engine seized up while we waited after runaway so we get to unklunk it and make it new inside. ok
is only money...

meanwhile, i could be stuck in a worse place.

but i WANT noise and smoke and drippyness and leakiness and smoke......and....NOISE.
i WANT noise!!!!!! i WANT stinky......ggrrr

is gorgeous here. is actually a good place to stash a boat for summer, as long as rates are low in summer...for me the rate differential summer at 4400 pesos to winter at 14000 pesos.... peso is being charged here in marina at 12.15 to one usdollar.
rate is 13.0 at present.
good thing it is gorgeous here.
and parts are findable.
aarrgghh..my feet itch bad......

ok so now i cannot brag on how my sailing weather is soooo awesome...... aargghhh
but i will sail opb while mine is repairing.....so i still could have pix if i can find wifi like today..lol..on my boat.

here is how it looked after a nice named storm not too long ago...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Ka lunk

Interesting, keep us posted on your project. Nice paint job.

Paul T
Old 11-16-2013

corrosion in 2 cylinders and dirty injectors. figgered we would have dirty injectors as per history.
working on this .. will keep posted after the tboomer from hell leaves us alone. no mas de electricos (luces) horita.....oops.. this is invest 98e feeders...lovely end of season non named storm with 30 percent chance..yada yada bye bye....

The Following User Says Thank You to zeehag For This Useful Post:
Melrna (04-27-2014)
Old 11-16-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
corrosion in 2 cylinders and dirty injectors. figgered we would have dirty injectors as per history.
working on this .. will keep posted after the tboomer from hell leaves us alone. no mas de electricos (luces) horita.....oops.. this is invest 98e feeders...lovely end of season non named storm with 30 percent chance..yada yada bye bye....
I see, I think. "runaway diesel experience"? Curious to know why? Don't see a turbo? Excess engine oil blowby? Injector pump run amok? Did it seize during the runaway?

Paul T
Old 11-16-2013

just prior to coming into marina we had runaway,. was stopped by cracking all 4 injectors, so we figgered it to be fuel delivery, aka injector pump. we got the lift pump and injector pump and the transmission heat exchanger rebuilt here and now we put it back together to find omg no go just literally ka lunk. so......onward and upward.....today we found the dirty injectors which does follow the history of this boat and this engine.
now we look for where the water is coming into cylinders so we can fix that and fix the cylinders and all the rest to be able to leave this precious pricy palace that costs arms and legs and such and continue on along my cheapo cruising lifestyle.

is perkins 4-108, probably built in 1982, or there abouts as the forging drop number is august of 1982.

Old 11-16-2013
Banned

Quote:
just prior to coming into marina we had runaway,. was stopped by cracking all 4 injectors, so we figgered it to be fuel delivery, aka injector pump. we got the lift pump and injector pump and the transmission heat exchanger rebuilt here and now we put it back together to find omg no go just literally ka lunk. so......onward and upward.....today we found the dirty injectors which does follow the history of this boat and this engine.
now we look for where the water is coming into cylinders so we can fix that and fix the cylinders and all the rest to be able to leave this precious pricy palace that costs arms and legs and such and continue on along my cheapo cruising lifestyle.

is perkins 4-108, probably built in 1982, or there abouts as the forging drop number is august of 1982.
My apologies, but I am having just a bit of a problem understanding some of your descriptions. Did it overheat prior to or during the runaway? If so, maybe a blown head gasket allowing coolant into the cylinders, or worse, a cracked head or block?

That must have been interesting opening all four fittings while the engine is trying to scatter itself. Maybe a fuel shut off valve somewhere downstream of the filters? Not sure if an injector pump going wacko is usual or unusual? Maybe some of the experts out there can comment?

Paul T
Old 11-16-2013

there was no overheat and no detonation when we had runaway
injector pump rebuilder found sea water in the injector pump, in places it shouldnt have been able to access..
i bought the engine used. i put 3000 miles on it at 1.2-4.5 kts per hour except when we sailed at 8.4 kts in a chubasco...(.hooyaah that was fun...lol)
i was in cockpit, repair guy was on the engine within 5 min of onset it as off. he was pale and shakey. i have gauges in cabin near engine, so he was watching the temp as he cracked the injectors --no overheat of water. engine has always run well and not ever hot even in hot ocean.

hopefully is only a blown head gasket if anything...i dont wanna have to replace the block...but if i had to, i guess here would be as good as anywhere--but we would have t find someone with a truck and a crane--those things are not availabe in this location

Old 11-16-2013
Banned

Quote:
there was no overheat and no detonation when we had runaway
injector pump rebuilder found sea water in the injector pump, in places it shouldnt have been able to access..
i bought the engine used. i put 3000 miles on it at 1.2-4.5 kts per hour except when we sailed at 8.4 kts in a chubasco...(.hooyaah that was fun...lol)
i was in cockpit, repair guy was on the engine within 5 min of onset it as off. he was pale and shakey. i have gauges in cabin near engine, so he was watching the temp as he cracked the injectors --no overheat of water. engine has always run well and not ever hot even in hot ocean.

hopefully is only a blown head gasket if anything...i dont wanna have to replace the block...but if i had to, i guess here would be as good as anywhere--but we would have t find someone with a truck and a crane--those things are not availabe in this location
"Pale & shaking"?, brave guy to get that close to it. Sea water in the pump? If you have a good water separator it is hard to imagine where it came from?

Maybe "dirty injectors" are a sign of some water in the fuel? Any water in the lube oil, milky colored oil? In any event it is seized? There have been some posts here about how to "un-seize" it, from penetrating oil from the top to hammering on the pistons, which sounds a bit scary. But at this point, you don't have too much to lose. Let us know what happens.

Paul T
Old 11-16-2013

the water in the fuel pump wasnt from my boat. it was antique and in places not normally found with water during a fail in system. it was outside of the fuel passage areas.
i have racor, no water in my fuel and all is well there.... we did have many troubles with air in fuel line but that isnt the same problem. no condensation in these 85-95 degree f waters with 85-90 f air.
no cafe au lait, no mayonnaise
all we had was black carbon and black fuel from return line. then fuel in oil, after i got into marina there was fuel in oil on the second change, not the immediate oil change after runaway.

most of the gremlins with this engine have been identified and given names....soon we will master it and let ye know what it is....mebbe even have pix....
oh, yes. we are doing the we aint got no spare dough repair.
it will be done so there is minimal damage caused by the repairing itself.
estimate of number of hours on this beastie which was really not treated right, as it wasnt aligned and motor mounts were so flakey...
3000 miles at average 3 miles per hour. before i got it, is unknown. drop date on block is 1982.
it is good there are easily obtained parts here for reasonable prices.

Old 11-16-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Zee...
The obvious problem is not enough pink paint. good luck! look for the simple solution grasshopper!
zeehag likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.