Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ogden, UT
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Re: Eric's 5416 Rebuild
Special Tools? - not much. In my garage, I used a block and tackle (from an old mainsheet system) to lift the engine off the floor. I made a wooden dolly for the motor to sit on from plywood and 2x4's, and made a sort of frame/table from 2x4's that the dolly sat on top of and raised the motor up to a comfortable height to work on it.
Early on, I ran into a problem that the nut on the crankshaft pulley needs a bigger and deeper socket than I could find locally. It's 46 mm if I remember right. I ordered it from Amazon, and waited a few days for it to arrive. Once I had it, I finished the dismantling in one weekend. I went pretty slowly.
During the assembly, I used a piston ring compressor that I borrowed from my local Autozone. I used copious amounts of assembly lube that I got from Napa store. I repainted the motor after assembly using Hammerite "rusty metal primer" and their "hammer finish" copper/bronze paint, that is pretty close to the original Universal color. Both are brush-on. I have previously used these on an Atomic4 engine with good results. See photos in my album for the finished paint job.
Timeline? - Most of the time seemed to be spent waiting for parts to arrive.
I pulled the motor in late June (2013) and started dismantling.
The machine shop took maybe three weeks. Carl was pretty conservative, he would not machine something until he had the new parts in hand and would measure them before machining the old ones. We rejected one set of new bearings that were right on the limit of the tolerance spec and had to wait again for a new set to arrive before proceeding.
Assembly took two weekends, and a few hours during the week. Again, I went slowly. At the end of the reassembly, I set up a test rig and ran the motor for maybe 3 hours.
While waiting on parts etc I also did some work on the engine bay - pulled the fuel tank and flushed it out completely. Painted the engine bay with Interlux 2000, ran new fuel hose and installed a new electric lift pump for the fuel. Reinstalled the tank before the engine (it sits behind the engine in my boat).
Reinstalled engine in early September. My marina has a hand-operated chain hoist that slides along a 10 foot beam, mounted 15 feet above the water on a post that allows it to rotate 360 degrees. It's intended as a mast hoist, but works great for pulling and installing engines too.
I don't have a really exact handle on the hours I spent. Probably 2 weekends each for dismantle and assembly. Plus a few evenings. One day each for removal and re-installation. A few lunchtimes running back and forth to Kubota dealer to order and pick up parts, and to visit the machine shop to drop parts off. Online searching and ordering, maybe a few more evenings.
1980 Bristol 29.9