Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-02-2013

grandcapri is on a distinguished road
particulate residue in Racor bowl

Hello, mostly new here...anyone willing to chime in on fouled Racor water separator bowl. Winterized yesterday and as is normal routine, I replace both primary and secondary fuel filters (and fuel lift filter as needed), I took off the primary filter, bowl connected, and notice excessive amount of freely floating tannish particulate matter in the bowl and a coating of residue on the clear part of the bowl. It is not black, or sludge like in appearance. And the boat shows no symptoms of fuel issues while underway. Small amount of white smoke upon start up after a week or so of non use, but clears up quickly. I regularly use biocides, fuel cleaner and water dissolver.
I'd be interested in hearing from someone and I apologize up front if this topic as been discussed to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013

Re: particulate residue in Racor bowl

ANYONE? ANYONE?......{crickets}
Old 12-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you get to clean your tank and fuel lines. crickets......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-03-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

fairly normal for most boats....especially if not used regularly...that is the best thing - use the engine under load and run some fuel through the engine.

the bowl is doing what it is supposed to do, collect the settled out stuff .....I clean mine out quarterly and look for water weekly.

best of luck
Old 12-03-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcapri View Post
Hello, mostly new here...anyone willing to chime in on fouled Racor water separator bowl. Winterized yesterday and as is normal routine, I replace both primary and secondary fuel filters (and fuel lift filter as needed), I took off the primary filter, bowl connected, and notice excessive amount of freely floating tannish particulate matter in the bowl and a coating of residue on the clear part of the bowl. It is not black, or sludge like in appearance. And the boat shows no symptoms of fuel issues while underway. Small amount of white smoke upon start up after a week or so of non use, but clears up quickly. I regularly use biocides, fuel cleaner and water dissolver.
I'd be interested in hearing from someone and I apologize up front if this topic as been discussed to death.
Regardless of how diligent one might be with one's fuel maintenance and management, sediment will invariably collect in ones fuel tank and more so as the yacht ages unless the tank is cleaned periodically. Such sediment commonly includes dirt, algae, rust and heaven knows whatever else.

Unfortunately, on many boats, fuel tanks are not fitted with a means for clean-out. An alternative for some in such circumstances is the temporary removal of the fuel level sender (assuming it can be reached) and the suctioning of the fuel out of the tank with a tube passed through the opening, to be "Polished" (i.e. being passed through a number of filters). The fuel is then pumped back into the tank through the on deck fill pipe, often by feeding a small diameter return tube through the fill pipe so that the returning fuel tends to agitate the tank contents which improves the cleaning effort. An in-line "sight glass" in the fuel circuit allows one to see when the fuel has reached an acceptable level of clarity.

Absent the foregoing, all one can do is closely monitor one's fuel filter and change elements as necessary. While I rarely see it done, users also need to thoroughly clean the bowl on the bottom of the filter assembly (here referring to Racor type filters). That can be done by completely removing the drain spout (by which one would normally drain any water accumulated in the bottom of the bowl) and then, patiently, threading the thin plastic tube from a pressurized container of WD-40 between the blades of the filter turbine and "blasting" the gunk in the glass loose with periodic rinsing with a little diesel. After a long run, the amount of gunk that can accumulate in the filter bowl can be quite surprising.

Beyond the foregoing, one must be diligent about what goes in ones tank to begin with. While it frustrates some fuel attendants, we always use a Baja type fuel filter when taking on fuel and the stuff we've removed from that afterward is evidence that doing so was wise. Some hold that buying from a vendor that routinely moves a large volume of fuel can minimize the incidence of debris and water contamination of the fuel but I haven't seen evidence of that myself.

I suppose the foregoing may not answer your question but it is some things to think about, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-03-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 12-03-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Sounds fairly normal.

a. Use an additive that controls corrosion. If the tank is steel, some of this is probably rust.

b. Consider changing biocide periodically. The bacteria can be come aclimated to one product.

Valve Tech Bioguard did well for both in recent PS testing (Aug 2013) and might be good to try as a change. Alternativly, Startron can be used with Biobor, controling corrosion and adding broader spectrum bug control.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2013

Thank you for the ideas and response, I believe preventative care is best, and since no immediate/ obvious damage is occurring, ill have some time to treat/ polish the fuel.
Gracias!
Old 12-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

May also wish to install a filter on your diesel return
Old 12-06-2013

FYI.. I had yachting center inspect racor primary filter and water separator bowl and they believe it was due to "over treatment" of fuel with Additives.. Even recommended to "undertreat" vs. " over treat". I replaced the secondary fuel treatment incidentally, and the fuel emptied from this filter further down the line was in great shape with no obvious contamination. Ran engine after bleeding fuel line and experienced no problem. Thank everyone for your input.
Old 12-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Yes, over treatment is bad. Marinas that sell ValvTect brand fuel, already have biocide added. Some may double up, if they are unaware.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.