Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013

H and E is on a distinguished road
winterize an engine exhaust system

How do you winterize an engine exhaust system? Boat is a Catalina 25 w/Universal diesel engine. Could not find any drain valves for the intake water. Engine has antifreeze. Thought about using a wet/dry vac to suck water out the exhaust at transom. I assume the manifold and muffler are full of water. I can take off the cover from the pump if necessary. Boat is out of the water since Sunday

Prior years I left it in the slip with a heater plugged in
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Re: winterize an engine exhaust system

Close seacock for raw water intake. Remove hose from seacock and stick it in a small bucket of antifreeze. Run the engine long enough to suck antifreeze through the exhaust system, making sure not to let your bucket (and thus the engine) run dry.

Some owners install a valve on the raw water intake hose to be able to do this without taking the hose off the seacock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 12-04-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

You will get a lot of answers to this question.

Here is what I do, and I have an M25 in my O'day 35;
I have a sea water strainer between my through hull, and the raw water pump.

I shut the through hull, and remove the cap from my raw water strainer.
I remove the drain from the waterlift muffler on the exhaust.
I drain the raw water strainer, or suck it dry with a shop vac.
I invert a gallon of -60ļ antifreeze onto the top of the raw water strainer. I also have another gallon ready to go, if this one empties.
I start the engine, and watch the exhaust drain until the exhaust turns purple. I then shut down the engine.
I then take the (empty) gallon of antifreeze off of the strainer.
I then remove the raw water impeller, and leave the cover off.
I remove the zinc from the heat exchanger, and vacuum the liquid as it spills out with the shop vac. I keep the vacuum on the heat exchanger zinc nipple until I start drawing air from the raw water pump.
I then remove the end cover from the heat exchanger, and vacuum out the HX chamber.
Finally, I vacuum out the waterlift muffler from the drain, but I leave the drain plug off until the spring.

Hope this helps...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-04-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: changed "impeller" to "raw water pump".
Old 12-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Most folks will recommend doing something similar to that described above. The biggest change I see is that Maine Sail and others recommend not just running the engine until the antifreeze shows in the exhaust, but actually running it until the antfreeze is essentially full strength at the exhaust. Otherwise you wind up with diluted antifreeze in the pipes and that will increase the freezing/slush point of the mixture in there which isn't a good thing. In the end, in North Texas, you may be OK, but realistically you're probably looking at the cost of one or two more bottles of antifreeze compared to the cost of replacing your engine.
Missingyou likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 12-04-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Done the way that I suggest above, the raw water system is primarily full of air, and secondarily a mixture of PG and sea water. The benefit of draining the system is that that any remaining liquid in the raw water system will have plenty of room for expansion, it is likely to have a much lower freeze point than seawater, and I inspect the whole thing as I do the draining.

The components that are being protected from bursting due to freeze expansion are: the seacock, the raw water strainer, the raw water pump, the heat exchanger, the anti-siphon valve, the mixing valve, and the waterlift muffler.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 12-04-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

mmm...always brought great comfort to me knowing that
system was protected by corrosion inhibiting anti freeze
rather than left dry and subject to rusting when exposed to air.
Delta-T likes this.
Old 12-05-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
... The components that are being protected from bursting due to freeze expansion are: the seacock, the raw water strainer, the raw water pump, the heat exchanger, the anti-siphon valve, the mixing valve, and the waterlift muffler.
Bear in mind that if the raw water impeller is neoprene (some are neoprene, some are nitrile) it will be ruined by PG. In this case, EG is a better choice (does not damage neoprene or nitrile).

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 12-05-2013

H and E is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.
I thought about putting the pink stuff I used in the RV and the potable water system in the boat. Taking things apart to install the antifreeze to get through a couple of days of possible freeze temps during the night seems to be a lot of work. I will put a light bulb in the engine compartment today. I have to run a 200 foot extension cord to get power which should be OK for a light bulb.
Old 12-05-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
My approach

Similar to what others have said, but here are the specifics.

With the boat on the hard:
  1. Drain water from muffler. Allow to drain into the bilge. Recap drain port.
  2. Pull strainer and drain the water from it using a turkey baster. Reinstall strainer basket.
  3. Between my strainer and the water pump, I have a port where I can install a hose, which can insert into a bucket of AF.
  4. Start motor and suck a gallon of -60 deg F Glycol AF
  5. Once the gallon of -60 is gone, I pour in a gallon of -100 deg F Glycol AF.
  6. I run engine until the flowing AF out the back starts to spit.
  7. Shutdown the motor
  8. Drain the muffler again.

Never had an issue with temps down to -10 deg F. Draining the water out of the motor/muffler first results in less AF dilution and therefore the need to use a lot of AF to insure protection.
eherlihy likes this.
Old 12-06-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Not to forget the thu hull for head and sink .Really cold can crack the valve . Close the valve as the antifreeze runs out thru it. Fortunately ,here in BC winterizing means putting on a sweater when you go on deck.