Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel System and ABYC Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I don't think it makes the boat illegal to operate as ABYC is not a legal requirement though your insurance company would likely be unhappily. Many insurance policies require meeting ABYC for modifications and might ask for some systems to be brought up to the standard though some may not.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
See... 46 CRF 182.130 below. This applies to non-commercial small boats as well as commercial. Though inspection isn't required.

Title 46: Shipping

CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (CONTINUED)

SUBCHAPTER T: SMALL PASSENGER VESSELS (UNDER 100 GROSS TONS)

PART 182: MACHINERY INSTALLATION

Subpart A: General Provisions

182.130 - Alternative standards.

As an alternative to complying with the provisions of this part, a vessel of not more than 19.8 meters (65 feet) in length, carrying not more than 12 passengers, and propelled by gasoline or diesel internal combustion engines, other than a High Speed Craft, may comply with ABYC H-2, ABYC H-22, ABYC H-24, ABYC H-25, ABYC H-32, ABYC H-33, ABYC P-1, and ABYC P-4 (all eight standards incorporated by reference, see 46 CFR 175.600) as specified in this part.

[USCG-2003-16630, 73 FR 65207, Oct. 31, 2008]
Old 12-10-2013

For what it's worth I finally got a reply from someone who was on the ABYC fuel system committee from the mid 90's to 2004. His reply was basically that the USCG prohibited stainless years ago in keeping with ABYC requirements. Once the USCG adopted the rules it has become almost impossible to change them, since the ABYC cannot permit that which the law prohibits.

Apparently rewriting this was looked at, but there were still not a consensus that stainless as a fuel line was safe, due to concerns over crevice corrosion, work hardening, cracking at the fittings, and galvanic corrosion. Though there seems to be plenty of evidence these concerns are minor.

In short, there doesn't seen to be a clear engineering prohibition, just a legal one. But that legal one does effect recreational boats.
Old 12-11-2013

nsweeting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
For what it's worth I finally got a reply from someone who was on the ABYC fuel system committee from the mid 90's to 2004. His reply was basically that the USCG prohibited stainless years ago in keeping with ABYC requirements. Once the USCG adopted the rules it has become almost impossible to change them, since the ABYC cannot permit that which the law prohibits.

Apparently rewriting this was looked at, but there were still not a consensus that stainless as a fuel line was safe, due to concerns over crevice corrosion, work hardening, cracking at the fittings, and galvanic corrosion. Though there seems to be plenty of evidence these concerns are minor.

In short, there doesn't seen to be a clear engineering prohibition, just a legal one. But that legal one does effect recreational boats.
Thanks for your time and effort in tracking down this info.

Are you able to provide a little more insight and explanation into the whole sub system point you made? With the filterboss, the filters are used as your primary filters, so it is very much a part of the regular fuel route. But it can also be used as a polishing system.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013

Basically this rule only effects the delivery lines. But it doesn't effect fittings, or subsystems. So from the tank to the racor, from the racor to the engine, and any transfer lines between tanks. Once it gets to the engine you can use stainless, fittings, high preasure lines, ect.
Old 12-11-2013

nsweeting is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify -

I was reviewing the USCG Boatbuilders Hanbook which references Title 33 CFR Part 183 Subpart J for its fuel requirements. The very first line mentions that these are the requirements for gasoline powered inboards. So am I to understand the rule regarding the fuel lines does not apply to our diesel engines then?

First sentence in the below link:

Fuel Systems - Introduction

Edit:

I also found the actual regulation which also states the laws are applicable to gas inboards - under the Applicability section.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title33/33...:2.0.1.8.44.10

Last edited by nsweeting; 12-11-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2013

183 is a standard for gas engines
182 incorporates the ABYC rules.
Old 12-11-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

My limited understanding is that the sulphur traditionally found in diesel fuels, attacks stainless steel and makes stainless unsuitable for diesel systems.

Granted that two "new" reductions in sulphur content have happened in recent times, it is possible that the recommendation excluding stainless is just a legacy issue and now a moot point for US vessels.

I don't see work hardening as being an issue, that affects copper lines much more than stainless, and is the reason why copper lines are forbidden in automotive brake systems--where stainless is the standard metal, constantly being hit by expansions and still not work hardening at all.
Old 12-17-2013

FiveFilter is on a distinguished road

I have seen several sources indicating that one should not allow copper, zink or any compound containing them (brass) to come into contact with diesel.

If this is correct, how does this affect the fuel system standards being quoted in this thread when one is operating with diesel as a fuel?

I have some brass fittings in my diesel fuel system and always wonder if I'm hurting my engine. Not so far.

Any comments?
Old 12-17-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Brass is ok as far as I know but do not attach brass fittings to an aluminum tank.