Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013

Grampian1989 is on a distinguished road
I think I screwed up...

I never ran stabilizer through my Diesel engine. It's been on land for two months now. I did change the oil, ran antifreeze through engine. But forgot to run the engine with stabilizer in the fuel. What is this going to do? Can I still attempt to run the engine n fill up the fuel tank?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013

RedHorizon is on a distinguished road
Re: I think I screwed up...

Diesel fuel doesn't separate like modern formulations of gasoline, the fuel will be fine until next year. You CAN run the engine on the hard, but you have to supply cooling water. I've never stabilized my diesel fuel, and haven't had any trouble.
Old 12-12-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Filling the tank will stop condensation from accumulating, that looks like #1 reason for diesel to fuel starting to go bad. Here are the facts...http://www.mydieseldoctor.com/FAQ.html You can still treat the tank, but not the engine. Gas is stable if 1, the tank is full to keep out condensation and 2. in an air tight container to keep from oxidation. Carburetors that are vented to the atmosphere need to be drained.
Old 12-12-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

Short answer...
No problem mon..

Long answer...
Hydrocarbon fuels are susceptible to various forms of degradation over time causing reduced combustion properties, filter and fuel system clogging, and other nasties. The primary issues are oxidation and re-polymerization, followed by water and then by biological contaminants.

Oxidation and re-polymerization can cause fuel system failure from the formation of gums, varnishes and long chain agglomerations (solid particulates). The increase in catalytic cracking for the production of hydrocarbon fuels has exacerbated the problems of oxidation/re-polymerization. During the catalytic cracking process long chain hydrocarbon molecules are broken into shorter chains which are refined into additional gasoline, kerosene and fuel oils. However, unlike the natural counterparts, the artificially cracked chains have “active ends” – bonds which have been broken and which are susceptible to recombining with other unstable molecules. Lighter products such as gasoline are far more susceptible to this issue than heavier fuels such as kerosene (jet fuel) and diesels.

Water is a long term issue, caused by contaminated fuel from your supplier, condensation and separation of emulsified water from the fuel during storage. The formulation of ethanol modified gasolines makes them (again) more susceptible to emulsified water due to the hygroscopic properties of ethanol.
A modern fuel/water separator will adequately address the issue of non-emulsified water in a fuel system, but provisions to drain any accumulated water from the lower portion of your fuel tanks should be installed and checked on a regular basis. Separated water in a fuel tank can provide an ideal environment for biological growth and tank corrosion. De-watering additives (90% ethanol/methanol) only serve to combine with emulsified water which then precipitates to the bottom of the tank or other low points in the fuel system.

Biological contaminants (bacteria, fungi, algae) primarily reproduce along the fuel/water interface and the resulting "bio-film" can be found along tank walls, baffles and eventually the entire fuel system leading to clogging of filters and small diameter orifices (injectors, injector pumps and carburetor jets). Diesel fuels are more susceptible than gasolines to bio-contamination due to their (relatively) lower toxicity. Most diesel fuels produced in the USA and other industrialized nations contain biocides, but cost issues make the addition of these additives less common in 3rd world environments.

The bottom line is, if you have clean "bright" diesel fuel fuel, purchased from a reputable dealer, stored in a clean tank and delivered through a proper filtration system, a few months storage without additional additives is.... (as stated in the short answer) No problem mon!
BentSailor likes this.

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 12-12-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

I Dan my diesel truck for 6 months on fuel from an old trucking company fuel truck that had sat for 30 years and actually got better mileage on it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

A very well known diesel mechanic in the Abacos told me his biggest buisness is from foul fuel becsuse of condensation in the tanks which results in sludge which blocks up engines quick. He told me to always keep your tanks filled and to add some of the additive which prevents sludge. Also suggest cleaning out tank every other year.
Old 12-12-2013

Grampian1989 is on a distinguished road
I think I screwed up...

I never did anything to clear the fuel lines. Just placed the boat on land after pulling into the slip. I also noticed my boat is taking on water while on land from rain. I have not tarped her yet...
Old 12-12-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Re not running engine

No problem mon. +2

Aged spanner monkey
Old 12-12-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

H2OUT. These have proven to eliminate the condensation issue. The media generally lasts several years. I understand that Vetus is working on a product that will be available soon.

AVD2 | Air Vent Dryers | Products | H2Out

They also reduce oxygen exposure to some extent, by reducing convention turnover.

Moisture, even in amounts that do not settle out, leads to corrosion and bug growth.

---

But as for the OP, just do it next year and sleep well. No big, one year.
Delta-T likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
Delta-T (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013

jfdubu is on a distinguished road

Don't sweat it you won't have a problem unless you have large (100gal) tank half filled. Any condensation formed on the walls not covered with fuel. I've never added any of the pixie dust products to my fuel for the winter and never had a problem.