Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014
S/V "MACKINAC"

Maine_bill is on a distinguished road
Universal 5424 Diesel

Good Morning
Almost hate to ask this question..but i will anyway

I am looking to purchase a 1981 Pearson 35 that is equipped with a Universal 5424 engine with HIGH hours, 2440.
The heat exchanger has been replaced (don't know when, yet!)

Even tho I will have the boat surveyed, hopeful finding a surveyor with that engine knowledge, what are your thoughts on what to watch out for regarding this engine: Parts avail...cost to replace...transmission issues...you know, all those same question to a new boat owner.
any PROS or CONS
Thanks
Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Universal 5424 Diesel

Lots of tractor parts are available for that engine (the non marinized parts) at deep discounts to the cost of marine engine parts (sometimes as much as 90% off). If you buy the boat, PM me and I will email you a spreadsheet with crossover parts numbers I have put together. There are some issues with decreasing parts availability (search for M-30 and heat exchanger for an example) but they don't seem too bad. 2500 hours doesn't have to be "HIGH" if the engine was well maintained it may have tons of life left. Frankly, the Hurth transmissions seem to be the biggest source of complaints I have noticed (I have had no such probs myself -- KoW). Look for smoke, it should probably run @2800-3000RPM at the top end. Cost to replace has more to do with the set up of your stringers, motor mount, etc. New Kubota is probably under $8K to purchase . . . with basic install maybe $12-15K -- installed with bells and whistles probably run you as much as $20-22K.

Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

FYI... don't expect any surveyor to give you any kind of useful info on the state of the engine. A separate mechanical inspection would be required as well. Same goes for the state of the rigging, esp above deck level. Most surveyors will remark on visual indicators only.
jimgo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-22-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

The 5424 was one of the original Universal diesels. Since the boat is a 1981, I suspect its the original engine. As has been noted they are marinized Kubota diesels. Parts are available from Universal dealers (pricy!) or Kubota dealers if you know their engine or tractor model number. If its been well maintained, it should be good for a number of more years of service.
Old 01-22-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Generally, it's a very good engine. Tough and long lasting, but a bit noisy and vibratory. It should have ample power for that Pearson.

Transmissions are available, rebuilt, or you can put in a ZF.

So far on my 5424, the Sherwood raw water pump has been lasting for 2 years / 200 hrs before the shaft seals fail. Watch for corrosion on the block under the pump, which indicates a leak. A slight leak is not too disastrous for a short while, until the corrosion blocks the hole in the pump that allows water to escape, then it starts getting forced into the engine oil!

You can get the parts to rebuild the Sherwood, or replace with an Oberdorfer. The Sherwood is nudging $400 for a replacement, the Oberdorfer around $200 right now. I've installed an Oberdorfer, and hoping for longer life. I also rebuilt the Sherwood to use as a spare.

The manual says to change the transmission oil every 100 hours, and it needs it. There isn't much oil quantity and it's under some heat stress.

Heat exchangers are easily available.

The main issue seems to be the exhaust manifold, hard to find.

All the engine parts common to the Kubota block are easily available. Just bought a starter motor for $80.
Old 01-22-2014

PS, I use Wix filters from a truck parts store.
Old 01-23-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

I too have a 5424, that I new nothing about. HAD I known what I know now... maybe I would have...?

Other than the starter, alternator and filters, nost everything else is no longer available. No fuel pumps (not the electric ones), manifolds, instrument panels. OK, I will get arguments about Kabota tractor engine parts... but really? My boat is at a marina surounded by marine fixem shops, but I have to try and mail order parts from all over the country? Your hours are not an issue if everything is in good order. I've got 3359 and runs like a kitten. I resolved that when she goes... bite the bullet and repower. Mine was in excellent condition so I went with it.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 01-23-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2014

The instrument panel isn't available, but one is from Catalina Direct for a Cat with the same engine. You'd just have to be a bit cunning with the wiring.

See here :

Catalina Direct: Electrical

You can replace the instruments with generic ones. I've replaced several, installed a quartz hour meter because the one in the rev counter broke, and replaced the ignition switch.

If your panel needed replacing though, I would use a CAD program to design a panel, have it made, and use generic instruments.

The electric pump is just a lift pump and any low pressure diesel pump should work. Catalina Direct have the correct one, though. For $237.
Old 01-23-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_bill View Post
Good Morning
Almost hate to ask this question..but i will anyway

I am looking to purchase a 1981 Pearson 35 that is equipped with a Universal 5424 engine with HIGH hours, 2440.
The heat exchanger has been replaced (don't know when, yet!)

Even tho I will have the boat surveyed, hopeful finding a surveyor with that engine knowledge, what are your thoughts on what to watch out for regarding this engine: Parts avail...cost to replace...transmission issues...you know, all those same question to a new boat owner.
any PROS or CONS
Thanks
Bill
That is not a lot of hours at all. The motor, if well maintained should be good for close to 10,000 hours. This is a sturdy little tractor motor. If really concerned have a mechanic look it over, or an engine oil analysis. Parts are quite available with some creativity with a few exceptions. Now if it has not been maintained well, then that it could be near the end. I would take one over a Volvo any day!
Old 04-28-2014

SailCT is on a distinguished road

Lots of tractor parts are available for that engine (the non marinized parts) at deep discounts to the cost of marine engine parts (sometimes as much as 90% off). If you buy the boat, PM me and I will email you a spreadsheet with crossover parts numbers I have put together. There are some issues with decreasing parts availability (search for M-30 and heat exchanger for an example) but they don't seem too bad. 2500 hours doesn't have to be "HIGH" if the engine was well maintained it may have tons of life left. Frankly, the Hurth transmissions seem to be the biggest source of complaints I have noticed (I have had no such probs myself -- KoW). Look for smoke, it should probably run @2800-3000RPM at the top end. Cost to replace has more to do with the set up of your stringers, motor mount, etc. New Kubota is probably under $8K to purchase . . . with basic install maybe $12-15K -- installed with bells and whistles probably run you as much as $20-22K.

blowinstink,
Could you email the spreadsheet for the 5424. I am looking for some cooling system gaskets that I cannot find through the marine stores.
SailCt