Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teamstone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014

Teamstone is on a distinguished road
farymann diesel generator

Hello Experts,

I am the owner of a 84 Allmand 35 sailboat that I bought about 6 months ago. I have an interesting problem with my genset. When I turn the genset key, will not crank.

Past history:

Generator worked when I bought the boat and up to 2 weeks ago, still did. It always took a long crank to start it. According to hour meter, 53 hours on generator (have NO idea if accurate!)

Boat is docked at my home (which I don't have access to as it is rented) in Port Charlotte, Florida. Running the 110 volt off an outside outlet until I can get shore power put in. Popped a breaker in the house and the resident were away. Powered up the genset and all was good. Ran Genset for about 1 to two hours a day, over multiple days. No problem. Turned off Genset using key on power panel.

Left for three days and I had left something on that drained the batteries to the point that the Yanmar engine, nor the Faryman genset would start.

Repowered to 110 and fully charged the batteries. Yanmar starts fine. Faryman does not crank at all.

I am not sure if I flipped a switch somewhere, have a bad starter, did something "really really bad" or ...

Any ideas? Anyone in the area with any expertise?

Thanks
Tom
PeaceMaker.
deltaten likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: farymann diesel generator

First off check to see if you have 12 volt power to the genset starter solenoid if not correct and retry start if you have power to it have starter inspected does solenoid make any noise at all with key turn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2014

Thanks.

Solenoid does not seem to make any noise with key (but I haven't had a second set of ears either).

I will check for 12 V at starter Solenoid when I get back to the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
First off check to see if you have 12 volt power to the genset starter solenoid if not correct and retry start if you have power to it have starter inspected does solenoid make any noise at all with key turn
Old 02-03-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

It may really depend on how your charging system is hooked up. It may be that the starting battery only gets charged by the generator itself? Is there a circuit to charge the battery like a battery switch or an echo charger?
Old 02-07-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

ferrymann diesels make great mooring anchors....

S/V Union Pacific : Reading and teaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-07-2014

Is that your Farymann?

What are the pro's and con's of that engine? I will say, mine was very loud and I don't know if there was a way to keep it quieter, although since it won't start right now, mine is very quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
ferrymann diesels make great mooring anchors....

S/V Union Pacific : Reading and teaking.
Old 02-07-2014
Schooner Captain

That was my farymann, I took it out.
it worked for a few days after getting the yacht, then we fixed it once, and it broke for good.
They are junk, and parts are expensive and hard to come by.
Much better off with a modern engine, that is very common.
I got a good chuckle of someone wanting $3000 for a farymann on ebay.
they are truely worthless junk.
Entec was the only good source of parts, but to rebuild it was going to be about $1000 before we were done. Its not worth $1000

Old 02-07-2014

UP thanks for your advice.

Was the Farymann the generator engine or your primary drive engine?

Mine is strictly generator, and I am hoping to get it back running as I don't have a new generator in my budget. Maybe I will need to start saving for one!

Thanks for replying also, because I have started following your blog.

Tom S/V Peacemaker .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
That was my farymann, I took it out.
it worked for a few days after getting the yacht, then we fixed it once, and it broke for good.
They are junk, and parts are expensive and hard to come by.
Much better off with a modern engine, that is very common.
I got a good chuckle of someone wanting $3000 for a farymann on ebay.
they are truely worthless junk.
Entec was the only good source of parts, but to rebuild it was going to be about $1000 before we were done. Its not worth $1000
Old 02-07-2014
Schooner Captain

Hi tom, if you look close at the photo you can see the generator attachment on the engine.
I pity anyone with one of these as a main engine, thou i know they do exist.
Our main engine is a 63HP westerbeke. not a bad engine.
Our farymann was also from the early 80's in fact it had a brigs and straton sticker on it.
It was raw water cooled... yuck. I understand that entec now fresh water cools them, but anything using this engine is off my shopping list for good.

I have also read mixed reviews on the 2 cyl kabota. I am looking at a brand that slips my mind right now. It runs a 1cyl kabota at 2800RPM, and is rated for 4KW using a 6KW generator head. I have seen them online new for about $4000. I keep my eyes open constantly for a great deal on a used unit. The problem with that is some people drastically overpaid for the generator when new (some paid $12,000 for 6KW) so they think $6,000 is a bargain. Honestly I wish they made a nice quiet reliable cheep 3KW unit. With the solar we will install i don't see us using the generator much, except on nasty hot nights, and when the batteries need topped off when sailing in cloudy conditions.

I wish you luck with your farymann, but don't spend too much on the repair.
thanks for watching the blog!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.