Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Burning Oil

there you have it! awesome info maine

btw my favourite oil is delo400 15-40 dino diesel oil similar to your rotella, rotella down here is called rimula(shell) but its twice as expensive as delo400 at pricemart

used it for my racing enduro bike, my old montero truck or anything old and stout...jaja

change often is all I ever advocate on old engines, or any engine for that matter...never let it get CRITICALLY low this is what damages the most not what oil you use

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

+++ to delo400 15-40
Old 02-21-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
there you have it! awesome info maine

btw my favourite oil is delo400 15-40 dino diesel oil similar to your rotella, rotella down here is called rimula(shell) but its twice as expensive as delo400 at pricemart

used it for my racing enduro bike, my old montero truck or anything old and stout...jaja

change often is all I ever advocate on old engines, or any engine for that matter...never let it get CRITICALLY low this is what damages the most not what oil you use

peace
Actually while any oil is better than nothing diesel engines need oils that are formulated for their needs. You need oils that meet specs for diesel engines due to higher heat of diesels among other things. I would recommend the delo 100 for marine uses
Chevron
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by newhaul; 02-21-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

that can be said for any engine...but without getting into oil wars(they are popular) never get any OIL critically low to damage journals, beraings and the sort and dont overfill drastically either

any diesel oil is good for inboards on our boats...but there are ones with better detergents, anti foaming qualities, higher levels of minerals and the like like zddp or zinc if you will that help...

delo400
rotella rimula
other chevron or fleet truck oils work too(these are all diesel oils)

etc...

the list is endless

I love 15-40 grade for most climates

peace

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-22-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I had a Detroit diesel that the original owner used to take to the Galapagos area for albacore for many years. He had it built in 1949 and we bought it in 1964, had no hour meter in it, but as he was a full time commercial fisherman all those years I can only assume it had a LOT of hours on it. He said "it runs fine" and had not been re-built. It burned no measurable amount of oil between changes. Same situation for 2 VW diesels I worked on, one of which was turbo charged, and run HARD, by my daughter, that is.

However I had a piece of junk Ford F-250 truck that burned one quart every 500 miles after all of 60,000 miles. It actually ran all right, just burned a lot of oil.

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
Burning Oil-two-brothers.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Come on, no one has said it yet?......

CR... "Diesels love oil like a sailor loves rum"

Dad.. "Why is that Captain Ron?"

CR.... "Nobody knows"
jameswilson29 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-23-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I had a Detroit diesel that the original owner used to take to the Galapagos area for albacore for many years. He had it built in 1949 and we bought it in 1964, had no hour meter in it, but as he was a full time commercial fisherman all those years I can only assume it had a LOT of hours on it. He said "it runs fine" and had not been re-built. It burned no measurable amount of oil between changes. Same situation for 2 VW diesels I worked on, one of which was turbo charged, and run HARD, by my daughter, that is.

However I had a piece of junk Ford F-250 truck that burned one quart every 500 miles after all of 60,000 miles. It actually ran all right, just burned a lot of oil.

Paul T
It shouldn't have burned that much but not uncommon for the old 6.9 idi they didn't have valve guide seals in those engines

The Following User Says Thank You to newhaul For This Useful Post:
dabnis (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It shouldn't have burned that much but not uncommon for the old 6.9 idi they didn't have valve guide seals in those engines
Ours was a 1975 390 Cubic inch gas V8. As there was not excessive blow by that I could detect valve guides were probably a major part of the problem.

60,000 miles? Dealer said "They all do that". I couldn't believe he actually said that , but he did.

Paul T
Old 02-24-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Ours was a 1975 390 Cubic inch gas V8. As there was not excessive blow by that I could detect valve guides were probably a major part of the problem.

60,000 miles? Dealer said "They all do that". I couldn't believe he actually said that , but he did.

Paul T
Yep in the mid 70's they used inferior materials in the guide seals. I assumed you were referring to the old diesel truck engines.

Old 02-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Yep in the mid 70's they used inferior materials in the guide seals. I assumed you were referring to the old diesel truck engines.
Ours was a brand new 1975 F-250 Super Cab pickup, equipped with the "Heave Duty Towing package", from the factory, 390 cubic inch gas V8. At about 60,000 miles it started burning about a quart every 500 miles, kind of like a 2 stroke.

The only thing good on that truck was the brakes, stopped straight as an arrow, even with a 5,500 pound boat/trailer boat behind it.

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
Burning Oil-skipjack-1-.jpg  

Tags
burning , diesel , oil , usage