Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014
OUPV 25 Ton

CaptainRahnn is on a distinguished road
Burning Oil

I was told there is an expected amount of oil to be burnt at a specific rate depending the engine. Does anyone know where to find this type of info I'm wondering how much oil my Westerbeke 30 should be burning up?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Burning Oil

It shouldn't be burning oil that is noticeable between oil changes. Ie if you are having to add oil every other time you use it, it isn't acceptable. If you are burning oil it means your rings are shot or they weren't seated right in the first place.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

+1 on BoatyardBoy's post. It could be the valve guides/seats too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-21-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Older diesels engines leak and burn oil. If it functions, you could just add additional oil when needed and change the oil regularly. Examine and smell the diesel oil on the dipstick: is it milky with water or have an odor other than the normal sulfur odor? What color is the smoke from the exhaust? If it really bothers you, replace or rebuild the engine.

I posted a thread some time ago, about a diesel airplane engine mechanic who stated that you knew the engines were working when they leaked oil.
BarryL and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 02-21-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Older diesels engines leak and burn oil. If it functions, you could just add additional oil when needed and change the oil regularly. Examine and smell the diesel oil on the dipstick: is it milky with water or have an odor other than the normal sulfur odor? What color is the smoke from the exhaust? If it really bothers you, replace or rebuild the engine.

I posted a thread some time ago, about a diesel airplane engine mechanic who stated that you knew the engines were working when they leaked oil.
+1 on the " It's OK to burn some oil" That way you know the rings are getting lubricated. The official word from Jaguar on the old straight 6 was if it did not burn oil it would have a VERY short life.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 02-21-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn View Post
I was told there is an expected amount of oil to be burnt at a specific rate depending the engine. Does anyone know where to find this type of info I'm wondering how much oil my Westerbeke 30 should be burning up?
Thanks
As smothers have stated it shouldn't be burning a noticeable amount of oil personally I would recommend to my customers to do an oil analysis looking for all the usual stuff and specificly the amount of fuel/oil degredation that you have. Then you can discuss with your local shop what the options are for you.

Old 02-21-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn View Post
Thanks
a LOT of engines burn oil normally EVEN when in perfect running conditions...

this doesnt mean that you should be happy if you are burning a quart every other trip out the marina...

but a good way to see how your egine stands up against others ir to first check out westerbeke 3o owners...compare yours THEN compare to other manufacturers of the same era, size etc...

I would have no problem running an engine that burned a quart every oil change...

2 or more or a galon and basically you just add oil and the oil changes itself! jajaja

honestly dont get stressed, check out forums and westerbeke owners then take a decision

a rebuild, partial is cheap insurance in the long run

Old 02-21-2014

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
As stated above I would talk with owners of similar engines before getting too worried. Before doing that I was really worried about my Perkins 4.108. While it doesn't burn oil it sure does leak it into the sump. After talking with a few owners I found that mine leaks less than theirs so they offered to drill some holes to even us out. Old diesels eat oil. Just a function of the design limitations when they were built.

Now if I was blowing black smoke out the back I would be worried.
Old 02-21-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

billowy smoke on startup is another classic diesel attribute, however it must go away...

if your belching smoke every throttle input you should at least do a partial rebuild, could also be injectors and or fuel delivery systems etc...

Old 02-21-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Our Westy has approx 3300 hours and burns no oil between changes but every engine is a tad different. She has only ever used Rotella 15W-40 changed earlier than factory intervals...

Engines = expensive / oil = cheap......

One thing I also believe in is to never short run our engine. Once she starts up she is run to full operating temp to burn off start up condensation before being shut down..

Even if an engine is burning some oil they can continue to run this way for many hundreds if not thousands of hours. I have a customer who uses .75 - 1 quart between changes and it has been doing this since the late 80s'.... Engine does just fine...
christian.hess likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Tags
burning , diesel , oil , usage