Burning Oil - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-21-2014 Thread Starter
OUPV 25 Ton

Burning Oil

I was told there is an expected amount of oil to be burnt at a specific rate depending the engine. Does anyone know where to find this type of info I'm wondering how much oil my Westerbeke 30 should be burning up?
Thanks

1976 Cal 34 mk2
"Shameless"
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

Re: Burning Oil

It shouldn't be burning oil that is noticeable between oil changes. Ie if you are having to add oil every other time you use it, it isn't acceptable. If you are burning oil it means your rings are shot or they weren't seated right in the first place.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
Learning the HARD way...

+1 on BoatyardBoy's post. It could be the valve guides/seats too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems
post #4 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

Older diesels engines leak and burn oil. If it functions, you could just add additional oil when needed and change the oil regularly. Examine and smell the diesel oil on the dipstick: is it milky with water or have an odor other than the normal sulfur odor? What color is the smoke from the exhaust? If it really bothers you, replace or rebuild the engine.

I posted a thread some time ago, about a diesel airplane engine mechanic who stated that you knew the engines were working when they leaked oil.
BarryL and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 02-21-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Older diesels engines leak and burn oil. If it functions, you could just add additional oil when needed and change the oil regularly. Examine and smell the diesel oil on the dipstick: is it milky with water or have an odor other than the normal sulfur odor? What color is the smoke from the exhaust? If it really bothers you, replace or rebuild the engine.

I posted a thread some time ago, about a diesel airplane engine mechanic who stated that you knew the engines were working when they leaked oil.
+1 on the " It's OK to burn some oil" That way you know the rings are getting lubricated. The official word from Jaguar on the old straight 6 was if it did not burn oil it would have a VERY short life.
jameswilson29 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn View Post
I was told there is an expected amount of oil to be burnt at a specific rate depending the engine. Does anyone know where to find this type of info I'm wondering how much oil my Westerbeke 30 should be burning up?
Thanks
As smothers have stated it shouldn't be burning a noticeable amount of oil personally I would recommend to my customers to do an oil analysis looking for all the usual stuff and specificly the amount of fuel/oil degredation that you have. Then you can discuss with your local shop what the options are for you.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRahnn View Post
Thanks
a LOT of engines burn oil normally EVEN when in perfect running conditions...

this doesnt mean that you should be happy if you are burning a quart every other trip out the marina...

but a good way to see how your egine stands up against others ir to first check out westerbeke 3o owners...compare yours THEN compare to other manufacturers of the same era, size etc...

I would have no problem running an engine that burned a quart every oil change...

2 or more or a galon and basically you just add oil and the oil changes itself! jajaja

honestly dont get stressed, check out forums and westerbeke owners then take a decision

a rebuild, partial is cheap insurance in the long run

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
post #8 of 20 Old 02-21-2014

As stated above I would talk with owners of similar engines before getting too worried. Before doing that I was really worried about my Perkins 4.108. While it doesn't burn oil it sure does leak it into the sump. After talking with a few owners I found that mine leaks less than theirs so they offered to drill some holes to even us out. Old diesels eat oil. Just a function of the design limitations when they were built.

Now if I was blowing black smoke out the back I would be worried.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-21-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

billowy smoke on startup is another classic diesel attribute, however it must go away...

if your belching smoke every throttle input you should at least do a partial rebuild, could also be injectors and or fuel delivery systems etc...

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
post #10 of 20 Old 02-21-2014

Our Westy has approx 3300 hours and burns no oil between changes but every engine is a tad different. She has only ever used Rotella 15W-40 changed earlier than factory intervals...

Engines = expensive / oil = cheap......

One thing I also believe in is to never short run our engine. Once she starts up she is run to full operating temp to burn off start up condensation before being shut down..

Even if an engine is burning some oil they can continue to run this way for many hundreds if not thousands of hours. I have a customer who uses .75 - 1 quart between changes and it has been doing this since the late 80s'.... Engine does just fine...
christian.hess likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Tags
burning , diesel , oil , usage

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.