Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2 gm filters

My recently purchased boat has the Yanmar 2gm. I'm wanting to do oil, filters and belts on my next trip down. But when trying to order the parts online I am learning there may be 2 different options of this motor a UK version and a Japanize version. Question is this, would the filters and belts be the same on both? I live several hours away from the boat so going for a quick look is out of the question. Thanks
Old 03-04-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2 gm filters

I also have a Yanmar 2GM (specifically the 2GM20F). I've never been asked which version I have when purchasing parts. However it is important to know which sub-model you have. The belts are different on the 2GM20F then a 2GM or 2GM20 due to the extra water pump used on the freshwater version of the engine.

You can't order most Yanmar parts online except from local dealers anyway, they have a very protective dealer network. There are two Yanmar dealers within 4 miles of my boat, so I just buy parts there. The online prices (from stores that I can't use) don't seem to be much cheaper anyway.

There should be two fuel filters on your boat. There is one attached to the Yanmar that is standardized. The other is mounted close to the fuel tank and varies boat to boat. You'll need to look at it to get the model number when purchasing filters. As an example my boat uses Racor 200 filters for that primary fuel filter, where a friend's boat that has the same Yanmar as my boat uses Racor 500 filters.
Old 03-05-2014
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

My boat has a European version 3GM30F and the only difference I am aware of is the water pump--I use a different impeller. Primary (on engine) fuel filter and oil filter were standard.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

If you go to WIX Filters, Wix oil filters, WIX air filters, Wix Heavy Duty Oil filters - Home ---> filter lookup ---> offroad ---> yanmar ---> engines marine ---> model number, etc., you'll find that the part number for the engine mounted fuel 'guard' filter is:
Part Number 3362
.... AND is listed for all the variations of the 2GM20 engine.
This wix part number can be cross referenced to all other such filter manufacturers

All such filters are made with the 'resinated' paper filter media from essentially ONE world supplier ... so it really doesnt matter which 'brand' you buy. Wix is probably the foremost USA manufacturer of this type of filtration and they make 'private label' or 'rebranded' for many manufacturers/industrial/wholesale/retail sources.

Media: Paper
Height: 2.717
Outer Diameter: 1.378
Inside Diameter Top: Closed:
Inside Diameter Bottom: 0.492
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Here's how is should be: Fuel Tank ---> 30ÁM (Racor - primary)* ---> 10ÁM (Racor- secondary) ---> 19ÁM (engine guard) ---> engine.
* apply 30ÁM if tank has a history of 'fouling' and the 10ÁM 'secondary' is subject to short service life.

Belts.
I dont have the belt part numbers for the 2GM; but, my preference for long service life is to use Gates "TopCog™" belts. Your local auto supply store (NAPA, Advanced, Autozone etc) should be able to 'cross reference' and special order based on your FULL engine model number (there should be an ID plate on the side of your engine, the side thats opposite of the exhaust manifold).

Here's your Wix crankcase oil filter ID: 51358
Dont forget to change the transmission fluid/oil every time you change your engine oil.

hope this helps.

Last edited by RichH; 03-05-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rich. Nice to have a second source for my engine fuel filter other than the Yanmar dealer.

Another choice to get spare belts is to take the current ones to your local auto parts dealer. They can then match them.
Old 03-06-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Be careful as a lot of 'asian crap' is now being sold as 'vee belts'. Stick with the top-quality mfgrs. such as Gates, etc. Its a case of "pay me now, or pay me twice (or more) the cost later on"

Also.
Most Yanmars have a pressed steel sheave which drives the fresh water pump - which is notorious for rusting and pitting on the vee groove surfaces. The rusting happens during long term engine shut down. This pitting can be a major cause of vee belt wear.
1. Inspect your fwc pump sheave for signs of rust/pitting and either replace or 'dress' the surfaces by using a long stick with 320 sandpaper fixed to the end of the stick. Be careful not to get you necktie pulled into the engine when doing this.
2. For long term engine shut-down, I suggest that all the vee groove 'faces' be sprayed with Boeshield™ ... a rust and corrosion preventative 'wax'. Just a small sprtiz, then 'wipe'.
Amazon.com: Boeshield G2870 T-9, 4 oz. Aerosol Can: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Boeshield G2870 T-9, 4 oz. Aerosol Can: Sports & Outdoors

Old 03-23-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

My boat has a regular 2GM. I found out Fram has filters that will fit for oil and fuel.

For oil - Fram PH3593A
For fuel - FRAM C7516

I know Walmart carries the one for oil, but the fuel filter may have to be sourced somewhere else.

My off-engine filters, I have two Racor 500FG's.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell