SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   how to pull a motor? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/128554-how-pull-motor.html)

xymotic 03-18-2014 05:55 PM

how to pull a motor?

I've decided I want to pull my masts and refurb them as well as the steps since I'm spending that $$ I figured I might as well pull the motor to refurb/paint the engine room too

There's an eye directly above the motor and one on the edge of the companionway forward of the motor

I was thinking of using a load balancer suspended upside down between the two eyes - but wondering if there's a better/easier cheaper way to do it? Can I get away with a small chain hoist to lift and a come along to swing it forward?

Faster 03-18-2014 06:09 PM

Re: how to pull a motor?

Knowing the boat/motor/weight would help.. as would any pics of the area.. Do you plan to remove the motor entirely or simply move it over in order to clean things up in the engine space?

xymotic 03-18-2014 07:28 PM

I'm pulling the masts (ketch) and since I have the crane I'm thinking I'm going to take it out completely

It runs flawlessly but it has 3700 hours so I may rebuild it just preventatively (man project creep is a B*tch!)

It's a Yanmar 75

This is the forward Eye
http://www.ontheboat.net/gallery3/va...g?m=1395113215

It's a one off boat as far as I know

xymotic 03-18-2014 07:31 PM

I'm pulling the masts (ketch) and since I have the crane I'm thinking I'm going to take it out completely

It runs flawlessly but it has 3700 hours so I may rebuild it just preventatively (man project creep is a B*tch!)

It's a Yanmar 75 (I've read 560lbs)

This is the forward Eye
http://www.ontheboat.net/gallery3/va...g?m=1395113215

erps 03-18-2014 07:44 PM

I can't tell where the second eye hook is, but if it's nearby and a straight unobstructed shot, I would probably try and fabricate a steel tube anchored to the the two eyes, lift the motor off the pads with a small comealong and then slide the comealong down the steel tube to where it can be lifted out of the boat. You can remove alternators, starters and other engine accessories to minimize the motor's weight and overall dimensions before the big lift as well. That's all imaginary right now, as I can't see the layout, but I have seen some creative temporary structures built to move motors in boats.

xymotic 03-18-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 1643186)
I can't tell where the second eye hook is, but if it's nearby and a straight unobstructed shot, I would probably try and fabricate a steel tube anchored to the the two eyes, lift the motor off the pads with a small comealong and then slide the comealong down the steel tube to where it can be lifted out of the boat. You can remove alternators, starters and other engine accessories to minimize the motor's weight and overall dimensions before the big lift as well. That's all imaginary right now, as I can't see the layout, but I have seen some creative temporary structures built to move motors in boats.

The second eye is barely visible just to the right of the red throttle cable

560# straight up with a comealong? man that sounds scary! :eek:

HF sells a chain fall with a 500 pound max and I'm seriously toying with the idea of that instead of the bigger one just because the size is a lot more useful but I'm not sure I trust HF to the max much less slightly more

I was actually thinking it might be cool to have a 4' I beam and a trolly and I could either bolt it or weld some L shaped slats to hold it to the cross beam and then I could move the beam from engine room to the port quarter-berth where I plan to put in a generator or the starboard one to move Batts in out Maybe could even make a crane/davit/ on deck out of it?

But then I chicken out at the thought of dealing with even a small steel beam like that and then haven;t a clue about stainless or a smaller alum beam and that's when I realize I'm way overthinking it so I like your way better :)

I suppose a few wraps of nylon strap are more than enough to hold a piece of bar and the motor on the bar!?

is 1x1 by 1/8 rigid enough to support an engine like that or do I need something more like 1x2?

Gladrags1 03-19-2014 06:06 AM

I used a trolley and I beam to remove my 55 hp Yanmar with a chainfall. It worked very well and made replacing the engine much easier as well. If you can go that route I would highly recommend it.

Tod

xymotic 03-19-2014 06:48 AM

How did you mount the I beam? If i do that it sure would be nice to have it extend past the threshold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xymotic 03-19-2014 06:53 AM

Also did you find a second use for the beam or did you ditch it after the swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gladrags1 03-19-2014 07:05 AM

I built 2 A frame legs out of doubled up 2 x 4's and positioned 1 behind motor and the other in front. I was able to set motor down on cabin sole.

Afterwards I did not have a use for the I beam - it's sitting in my back porch (under cover but now enclosed).

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk