Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014

xymotic is on a distinguished road
how to pull a motor?

I've decided I want to pull my masts and refurb them as well as the steps since I'm spending that $$ I figured I might as well pull the motor to refurb/paint the engine room too

There's an eye directly above the motor and one on the edge of the companionway forward of the motor

I was thinking of using a load balancer suspended upside down between the two eyes - but wondering if there's a better/easier cheaper way to do it? Can I get away with a small chain hoist to lift and a come along to swing it forward?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: how to pull a motor?

Knowing the boat/motor/weight would help.. as would any pics of the area.. Do you plan to remove the motor entirely or simply move it over in order to clean things up in the engine space?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-18-2014

I'm pulling the masts (ketch) and since I have the crane I'm thinking I'm going to take it out completely

It runs flawlessly but it has 3700 hours so I may rebuild it just preventatively (man project creep is a B*tch!)

It's a Yanmar 75

This is the forward Eye

It's a one off boat as far as I know
Old 03-18-2014

I'm pulling the masts (ketch) and since I have the crane I'm thinking I'm going to take it out completely

It runs flawlessly but it has 3700 hours so I may rebuild it just preventatively (man project creep is a B*tch!)

It's a Yanmar 75 (I've read 560lbs)

This is the forward Eye
Old 03-18-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

I can't tell where the second eye hook is, but if it's nearby and a straight unobstructed shot, I would probably try and fabricate a steel tube anchored to the the two eyes, lift the motor off the pads with a small comealong and then slide the comealong down the steel tube to where it can be lifted out of the boat. You can remove alternators, starters and other engine accessories to minimize the motor's weight and overall dimensions before the big lift as well. That's all imaginary right now, as I can't see the layout, but I have seen some creative temporary structures built to move motors in boats.
jrd22 likes this.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I can't tell where the second eye hook is, but if it's nearby and a straight unobstructed shot, I would probably try and fabricate a steel tube anchored to the the two eyes, lift the motor off the pads with a small comealong and then slide the comealong down the steel tube to where it can be lifted out of the boat. You can remove alternators, starters and other engine accessories to minimize the motor's weight and overall dimensions before the big lift as well. That's all imaginary right now, as I can't see the layout, but I have seen some creative temporary structures built to move motors in boats.
The second eye is barely visible just to the right of the red throttle cable

560# straight up with a comealong? man that sounds scary!

HF sells a chain fall with a 500 pound max and I'm seriously toying with the idea of that instead of the bigger one just because the size is a lot more useful but I'm not sure I trust HF to the max much less slightly more

I was actually thinking it might be cool to have a 4' I beam and a trolly and I could either bolt it or weld some L shaped slats to hold it to the cross beam and then I could move the beam from engine room to the port quarter-berth where I plan to put in a generator or the starboard one to move Batts in out Maybe could even make a crane/davit/ on deck out of it?

But then I chicken out at the thought of dealing with even a small steel beam like that and then haven;t a clue about stainless or a smaller alum beam and that's when I realize I'm way overthinking it so I like your way better

I suppose a few wraps of nylon strap are more than enough to hold a piece of bar and the motor on the bar!?

is 1x1 by 1/8 rigid enough to support an engine like that or do I need something more like 1x2?
Old 03-19-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I used a trolley and I beam to remove my 55 hp Yanmar with a chainfall. It worked very well and made replacing the engine much easier as well. If you can go that route I would highly recommend it.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2014

How did you mount the I beam? If i do that it sure would be nice to have it extend past the threshold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014

Also did you find a second use for the beam or did you ditch it after the swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I built 2 A frame legs out of doubled up 2 x 4's and positioned 1 behind motor and the other in front. I was able to set motor down on cabin sole.

Afterwards I did not have a use for the I beam - it's sitting in my back porch (under cover but now enclosed).

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xymotic likes this.