Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-21-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
volvo penta MD2030 parts

Hello,

Does anyone have a source for Volvo Penta parts? I have a 2002 MD2030 and I am looking for typical spare parts like oil and fuel filter, impellers, etc. I am also looking for zincs for the sail drive.

Can you recommend a mail order or internet parts store in the US?

Thanks,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: volvo penta MD2030 parts

Marinepartsexpress dot com
boatzincs dot com

We get our stuff from these. Your MD2030 is actually a Perkins, so you can cross-reference parts, although we've just been searching MPE under the MD2030 aegis.

There is, at multihulls4us dot com, a fella with a Manta 40 named 'Reach' I think his nick is colemj or similar, who is a wealth of info in regards Volvos. He might know the Perkins cross-reference
Old 03-22-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Really? I have a 94 Volvo md2030, you can just use Perkins parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 03-22-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I have the same engine, although mine's called a Perkins M30, and often otherwise referred to as a Perama, or 100 Series... You can save yourself some money by avoiding dealing with either a Volvo or Perkins reseller, after coming to an understanding that this little beast has become one of the most popular tractor engines in the world...

This information was originally posted by Blais Marine in Seattle, and has since been widely circulated on a number of forums. I don't have the original link, this is from what I've saved in a file:

Quote:

Those filters are getting easier to find, if you know where to look, and this is why:

Your engine is what Perkins calls a 103-10. Perkins started importing these 100 series engines from a Japanese company called Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery, Ltd. nearly twenty years ago. ISM is part of Ishikawajima Harima Industries, one of Japan’s largest industrial companies. Perkins marketed this engine in a marinized version as the Perama M30. They sold the engine to Volvo Penta who marketed it as their MD2030. They also sold the engine to Massey Ferguson, McCormick, Terramite, Textron, Jacobsen, Cushman, Vermeer, Leech Lewis, JCB, Kobelco, and Northern Lights to name just a few. In the US, the engine was distributed thru Detroit Diesel – Allison which is closely tied to the MTU conglomerate. By 1996, Perkins had become so successful at marketing these engines to other equipment manufacturers that they formed a joint venture with ISM called Perkins Shibaura Engines, Ltd. and began assembling the engines at the Perkins facility in Peterborough, UK from parts shipped from Japan. In 1997, Perkins was acquired by Caterpillar. With an added boost from Caterpillar, this little engine has become one of the most popular engines in the world. It’s used in turf equipment, tractors, mini-excavators, brush choppers, compressors, welders, pumps, generators, etc. etc. etc. Even Caterpillar uses it in some of their smaller equipment. The “Perkins” name was highlighted on the engine ID plate which is located on a distinctive boss just forward of the injection pump. The 2006 model year’s production of the engine has “Shibaura” highlighted on the ID plate. In 2001, the larger Shibaura 400 series engine was introduced with assembling at Peterborough, UK from parts mostly from Japan, and in June, 2004 assembling of the 400 series engine began at a Caterpillar facility in Griffin, Georgia, USA with production exceeding 100,000 units per year.

Perkins’ current part number for the oil filter is 140517050 and sells here in Kent, WA at Perkins Pacific for $6.85. At least that was the price a couple of months ago. All the earlier Perkins oil filter part numbers for this series of engine have superseded to this number. And all the engines in this series (two, three, and four cylinder 100 series) are supposed to take the same filter. I believe that Volvo’s part number is or was 834337. The filter should be readily available from any of the other equipment manufacturer’s using the engine including Caterpillar, and from many of the major filter manufacturers.

I think the numbers you had were:

Oil Filter = Fleetguard LF3826 or LF3376, Wix 51335, Fram PH3512, NAPA FIL1335.
Diesel Filter = Fleetguard LF5114, Wix 33386, Fram P3627, NAPA FIL3386, Volvo 861477-8?.

Disclaimer: Before using any parts suggested here, check them out for yourself, I could be mistook.
His last caution should be noted, as this original information is now perhaps a decade old... Parts numbers change over time, I'm currently using Fleetguard oil flters, for instance, and the current number is now different from the one listed...

If you ever need help with parts for the Volvo 2030/Perkins M30, a good source is TransAtlantic Diesel in Whitemarsh, VA... They're very knowledgeable about this series of engine, nice folks to deal with, they've always given me great service... But for major items like a starter, for instance, you can do much better shopping around with an understanding of what the engine really is, beneath the brand plate...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.