About to buy, nagging engine issue - seeking advice - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: About to buy, nagging engine issue - seeking advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power For Sail View Post
A lot of these companies charge people a ton of money and try to make a killing. ...
Actually the work was done by a first-rate yard who delivered an excellent result for what I considered a reasonable (ouch!) charge. To expect the same type of results for much less money, is to well, expect something for nothing.
Old 04-03-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

12k for a rebuild? wtf?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2014
Paid Sponsor

Power For Sail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Actually the work was done by a first-rate yard who delivered an excellent result for what I considered a reasonable (ouch!) charge. To expect the same type of results for much less money, is to well, expect something for nothing.
Yes, i am sure it was a first-rate company, but what we are saying is that many of those companies need to charge a lot of money due to their enormous overhead. We do not have a 30,000 sq/ft building to keep up, nor do we have 50 employees. We charge what we feel is fair, nothing more, and we do a first rate job just like those big companies....

PAID SPONSOR
Old 04-06-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

One could buy a brand new Beta 30 marine diesel for $12K (plus installation)far better than a $12K rebuild..IMHO.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-06-2014 at 07:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jameswilson29 For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014
new dad!

exactly there is a point when a rebuild is not worth it...and I say that as an avid gear head
MikeOReilly likes this.

Old 04-08-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
exactly there is a point when a rebuild is not worth it...and I say that as an avid gear head
Actually I suspect not. You dont understand the numbers here. For example, in my circumstance, although the comparable engine is a Beta35, if one were to go with a new Beta30 (BETA MARINE WEST | West Coast Distributor for Beta Marine Engines) at $12k for the engine with shipping, add the $6K the yard's extract/installation work (which no suggested alternative reduces, unless you do it yourself..) and you get to $18K. A different engine adds new costs at least for engine mount changes, re-wiring, new hoses, and panel replacement, which would conservatively run $3K. The only offset is whatever you can get on EBay for the old block.

So the real choice to the rebuild at $12K is a new engine at $20K. To me the additional cost made no financial sense, I guess if I expected the keep the boat for life, and was younger, the extra $8K for a Yanmar could have worked...
Old 04-08-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

for 12k i can find 3 rebuild brand new inside engines, 4-108, installed. wow, what a rip... this(4-108) engine rebuild kit is 861usdollars, including pistons and everything. ask me how i know..lol .. ka lunk......and with EVERYTHING except cam,crankand block replaced,and head milled and refit, and injector and lift pump and tranny heat exchanger rebuilt in full, my total is under $2500 usd. wow i wanna be a diesel mechanic in usa!!!!! what a gold mine!!!!
btw..new 4-108 shouod be 4500 usd as it was when i was looking for this one..lol goood luck. i would find another professional rebuilder to do this estimate. it should not be as much as you are quoting.
Power For Sail likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-08-2014
new dad!

ok cool good for you(previous post)...12k for a rebuild is ridiculously expensive and overpriced and the only reason I agreed with the comparison towards a new engine was simply numbers...

12k for a rebuild is too much...and you are getting hosed (as is the sugggestion that a yard charging 6k for an installation as an only option)...even though its less than a brand new installed engine which is besides the point...

in any case its sounds like you got an awesome engine back...

which is cool...except for THAT price...and the premise that was the ONLY option...

beleive me there are options(like those posted by zeehag)...and ok so you dont do any work yourself or dont like to, or have the money for people to do it for you:

if that is the case:

I STILL ARGUE THE PRICE...12k is simply TOO much for a mid size diesel engine rebuild...

but thats just my point of view...

cheers

Old 04-08-2014
Paid Sponsor

Power For Sail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Actually I suspect not. You dont understand the numbers here. For example, in my circumstance, although the comparable engine is a Beta35, if one were to go with a new Beta30 (BETA MARINE WEST | West Coast Distributor for Beta Marine Engines) at $12k for the engine with shipping, add the $6K the yard's extract/installation work (which no suggested alternative reduces, unless you do it yourself..) and you get to $18K. A different engine adds new costs at least for engine mount changes, re-wiring, new hoses, and panel replacement, which would conservatively run $3K. The only offset is whatever you can get on EBay for the old block.

So the real choice to the rebuild at $12K is a new engine at $20K. To me the additional cost made no financial sense, I guess if I expected the keep the boat for life, and was younger, the extra $8K for a Yanmar could have worked...
$6K the yard's extract/installation work????? SERIOUSLY??? OMG, i need their salesman, LOL We would have charged no more than $2K....
zeehag likes this.

PAID SPONSOR
Old 04-08-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

omydog...i removed mine myself. i am an old female..wtf 6000...holymofgods..someone pay me 12000 for having done this TWICE inmy own boat,,MYSELF!!!!!!!!!,,, hail marys....
geez this threadis giving me a stroke. wow ..... please where do i sign up for working..i know at least as much as your alleged repair guy and i am cheaper..lol i could use some fuel tank building dough.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward