Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

Brian Buzz is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15 Tranny Noise

Hi
I'm a new member to SailNet and a new owner of a 1979 Spirit 28. I'm in the cleaning and fluid changing stage now and have not had her sailing yet. When I start the engine and put the shifter in forward I get a whining noise from the tranny , but no noise in reverse. It's not that loud but it's is a whine. Is this normal? I am only shifting forward and reverse in the slip so I can't leave it in gear for a long time. It makes this noise before and after I changed the AFT. I read that the transmission must be fully engaged or you can damage it so I will check the shifter cable to make sure it is. Do these transmissions have a different sound in forward then reverse? Thanks in advance. Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15 Tranny Noise

nope adjust cable

for example atomic 4 are famous for always having that whinning in reverse as the clutch never fully engages and isnt designed to

for your engine though in forward it shouldbe a solid engagement

have a helper move the throttle and shifter while you are donw by the engine

the best way to do this is to actually disengage the cable so you can manually see where engagement has ocurred then adjust cable and mount to desired cable "throw" or range if you will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-05-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

If you have the Kanzaki-Carl Hurth KBW-10 transmission and don't have the tech manual...PM me and I'll send you the Tech Manual pages that describe linkage/shifter adjustment.
Old 05-05-2014

Brian Buzz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I just got home from the boat. More cleaning and maintenance. I had a friend in the cockpit shift the lever slowly as I was down by the tranny. The tranny shifted all the way forward, even past the part when it click into gear. It did the same in reverse. I then started the motor and had my friend shift the tranny into forward and reverse, the shaft turned in both F and R but the tranny had a whine in forward only. I can only do this for a few seconds because I an tied to the dock. The ATF looked clean when I pumped it out? I will have my insurance tomorrow in effect so I can go for a test cruise to see if anything changes. I also have the Manuals and will look at them tonight. Thanks for the offer to send them to me. Any help is appreciated.
Brian