Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

Dave Montgomery is on a distinguished road
Cleaning my Yanmar injectors?

Has anyone cleaned their injectors before and what were the results? I just pulled out the injectors on my 1991 Yanmar 3GM30F as the engine was becoming quite hard to start when cold (otherwise ran ok). Several shops said it "probably" is the injectors. I had read it could be quite difficult to remove them so I was prepared with an array of tools, liquid loosening agents and pry bars. All three were out in about 5 minutes!! Very simple. Each had carbon sludge built up around the nozzle so I took them apart, cleaned with a toothpick the valve case inside and out and also the nozzle tip. No big deal at all. I did not get into the spring stuff- looked ok. So you "gotta fix everything myself types" like me, what success have you had doing this on the way the motor runs and starts??

Thanks!
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning my Yanmar injectors?

Cool, instead of taking them apart I would have just dropped them in a container of diesel and let them sit for a day or so.
Old 05-05-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

remember to install them correctly do these use shims?

edit: found they are supposed to use 2 shim washers per injector

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christian.hess; 05-05-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

check the fuel pump too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2014
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

Now you have them out I would prefer to take them to a diesel injection repair shop or read the test and spray proceedures from a shop manual. They are all more or less similar but a common problem is erosion at the tip which messes up the spray pattern. Water in the cylinder is the main cause of this.

But if it was me and my own I'd probably put them back in and see if I gained anything.

If you have pre heaters test them with an ohmeter. They go bad much oftener than the injecters. If they are bad they will be "open".

Be very careful with cleaning out the holes in the head. They must be very clean. A speck of carbon will make the needle run out of true and that will mess up your spray pattern or worse. Bad spray pattern means smoke, especially when cold.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechsmith View Post
Now you have them out I would prefer to take them to a diesel injection repair shop or read the test and spray proceedures from a shop manual. They are all more or less similar but a common problem is erosion at the tip which messes up the spray pattern. Water in the cylinder is the main cause of this.
I would definitely send out to be cleaned and tested or DIY if you have a ultrasonic cleaner.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-05-2014

Thanks you guys! Yes I could have sent them out to be done but I have found that the cost for a pro rebuild was almost as much as new ones. So I thought I'd try this first. I don't believe any harm could be done as I only used (as recommended) wood toothpicks to clean with. For those of you considering doing the same, unless you are going to get into the actual injector valve where the little parts are, this cleaning I did is something we most all could do. I will have them pop tested to see if the springs are correct and also if the pattern is correct after my cleaning. If you folks are interested I will reply back after I put them back in the engine with the results of my cleaning project.

Dave
Old 05-05-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

yup always nice to finish off threads with positive results

Old 05-05-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

What commonly happens to injectors is the tip which controls the spray pattern gets corroded or just worn with the result being fuel dribbling out instead of spraying a fine mist. An injection shop can easily test them and rebuild as necessary.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-07-2014

So here is one update to my cleaning the injector post. So even though I cleaned my injectors as stated, I decided to acquire a new set just in case. That new set cost almost $600 after related parts were added... YIKES! Well yesterday I took my new cleaned injectors down to a injector shop and they pop tested them. In 20 minutes they has adjusted the pressure, checked the spray and given them all a positive bill of health...... for $59.00!!!!! They said they should function as new. Well I still need to put them back in the engine to see what happens but I learned an important lesson so far that a bit of my efforts can go along way to saving serious cash, which hopefully now could go towards a spinnaker roller furler. Will get back about with the in-the-engine-trial.

Dave

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.