Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Morse single-arm engine controls

I have a rather old single-arm Morse 'M'-series engine control that is working well, except that the neutral button is becoming extremely difficult to pull out. I suspect the innards of the thing are clogged up with +40 years of grime and plan to take the whole thing out and clean it up.

Anyone have a manual for this beastie? Any 'gotchas' involved in pulling one out and putting it back??
Old 05-06-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Morse single-arm engine controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I have a rather old single-arm Morse 'M'-series engine control that is working well, except that the neutral button is becoming extremely difficult to pull out. I suspect the innards of the thing are clogged up with +40 years of grime and plan to take the whole thing out and clean it up.

Anyone have a manual for this beastie? Any 'gotchas' involved in pulling one out and putting it back??

C .... generically speaking cos I don't know your exact model but taking the handle off is no big deal and you will find that once off a bit of elbow grease and a touch of the new, grease i.e., will solve the problem.

You are tiller steered so presumably the controls are through the cockpit wall ? If so the rest of the mechanism should be exposed behind said wall. Again a good clean up and re lube will sort out your problem, or at least it did for me.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 05-06-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

A, I don't have any decent pics (I'll see if I can get some) but it's the typical old pre-1980's style single-arm control you'd remember if you've been around yachts for a fair while. I've been elbow-greasing it for months now and it's got to the point where it needs to come out and be cleaned up on the bench.

Yep, the controls are through the cockpit wall and access is nigh impossible - there isn't even enough access to read the markings! Given the limited access, I suspect it was connected up and adjusted in the cockpit somehow and then mounted rather than the other way around, although the cables look new and were probably replaced by the OP when the new engine went in in 2009.

I'm a bit wary of disconnecting the cables blindly only to find I've altered something I shouldn't have. From the little I do know, the neutral button linkage is deep inside the mechanism itself and isn't something that is easy to get at... so I'm hoping someone here has been through a disconnection/clean-up/reconnection exercise already (you?) and can point out the pitfalls.

PS: Getting the handle off is the easy part! The grub-screw went walkies many moons ago, so the handle has a nasty habit of falling off all by itself, usually at the most inappropriate time.

Last edited by Classic30; 05-06-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2014

redx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

Hi,
I don't know what control lever you actually have but if it's the old Morse MV2 model you can download a good free manual for it here -

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...ion_manual.pdf

If it is the MV2 be careful when you pull it apart, there is a spring loaded ball bearing inside which could get lost if it pops out. My MV2 was fairly sloppy and needed to have the worn shaft bushes replaced, these are flanged nylon bushes and the Neutral button also has them. They are still obtainble but too expensive for what they are. so I ended up making my own and they work just as well .

The cables can be disconnected by removing the split pins which connect them to the lever arms. You shouldn't have to disturb the adjustent nuts at all.

redx.
tdw likes this.

Last edited by redx; 05-07-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

C ... as per REDX post you should be able to take the control assembly away without disturbing the cable adjustment. That manual redx linked to looks the go. You should be fine. Get it off , give it a good soaking, make a quick visit to Mr Stainless for a new grubscrew you feckless bugger you and then woopdey do. All will be good.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-07-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Made it down to the boat yesterday and this is what I'm dealing with:

Looks like I can probably undo the two screws on the front and drop it out for a better look.. maybe. The neutral button is aluminium and is a bit pitted.

Last edited by Classic30; 05-07-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Errk ....

I thought the control I had on my old Northerner was an antique but it does not compare.

Good luck ... I can feel a stroll in the park coming on.

Old 05-07-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Antique?!? Yep... Just like the rest of the boat.

There are no markings visible at all on this unit and the only reason I think it's a Morse (with a missing cover plate BTW) is because it's too blooming ancient to be anything else. I'm sure the Teleflex version (redx's unit) wasn't even a speck in their thoughts when this baby emerged from the factory.

The workings do seem similar to Redx's unit.. but I'll wait and see if he or anyone else has anything else to add after seeing the pics before tackling this project. The tell-tale signs of Sikaflex 291 Black don't fill me with eagerness to get into it.
Old 05-08-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I have a unit with a slightly different handle but the internal bits are the same. My previous boat also had the same internal bits but with a wooden hatchet handle for a lever.

It's pretty intuitive how the whole thing works and goes apart and back together. Shouldn't be difficult to polish up and get working again. Old but simple....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
Classic30 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

If the innards of this control is similar to the old dual lever controls of Morse I had to renew you will find a plastic bushing or two inside and any you find will be brittle. The first of the two that I restored had quite a bit of corrosion buildup and I sprayed the thing liberally with vinegar to loosen aluminum corrosion and then sprayed with WD-40 to lube the shaft up a bit and then waited a day before taking it apart. The second unit was beyond repair due to corrosion and I replaced it with Teleflex CH 2100 single lever control.
Classic30 (05-08-2014)