Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2014

JohnB40 is on a distinguished road
Transmission Yanmar KM35P problem

Hi Folks

2009 Beneteau 40
4JH4AE engine .... 1100 hours
Yanmar KM35P transmission (also called Kanzaki TTMC35P)

Works in reverse. When in forward it does not engage or only weakly. Then get revs up to about 1800 and it slams into gear. The cables are fine and the lever on the side of gear box moves easily and to the fullest extent.

Sounds like truly an internal problem. The oil (SAE 30 HD) is a bit black but doesn't smell burnt.
A friend suggests flushing numerous times with say SAE 10 to see if anything is stuck or "plugged". I've no idea what's inside!!
Any ideas?
thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2014

redline is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission Yanmar KM35P problem

If that is a cone clutch tranny, it sounds like the cone is worn. My 2GM20 had that problem (don't recall which transmission it had; your number sounds familiar, though yours is likely bigger but may still be a cone clutch). One shop lapped the cone, but that was a band-aid (for $800!) and not much cheaper than having it replaced properly. A worn cone slips until enough revs/power to get it to engage... until it's too worn for even that. I had to drive the boat thru Canadian Customs in reverse when forward would no longer work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Does your book ask for 30 wt or hydraulic trannie oil ? Either way it's not a biggie to put it on the bench for a look see. Then you can decide on fix or replace.
Old 06-06-2014

JohnB40 is on a distinguished road

The oil is engine oil ... SAE 30 HD (Heavy Duty).

Not very easy to take tranny out .... I guess depends on your experience and skilll level. It obviously needs to be disconnected from prop shaft hoping have enough room to push shaft back before prop hits rudder and taking care to secure the shaft. Unbolting from engine also not easy unless you are very slim/strong with very long arms. It is all pretty packed in and not exactly designed for most folks to take apart. Would help if a few bits of aft berth woodwork were screwed together rather than glued.
Really appreciate the info.

IMPORTANT FOLLOW UP:
Has anyone else had negative experience with "lapping the cone" which I think means getting rid of the glazed/slippery surface that is causing the slippage. As against replacing with a new piece.

John
Old 06-10-2014

redline is on a distinguished road

I had that negative experience - "lapping" initially "fixed" the problem, but only for about one season... Then it came back. Even worse, the marine lapped it a second time, which lasted even less. Combined wth their time charges (which included every time the mechanic had to walk from the shop across the yard to the boat), it was rediculous.

In the end, I removed the transmission myself with my wife's help, took it to a real Yanmar shop who replaced the cone, and reinstalled it myself, with the total number of hours coming to less than what the yard charged for their lapping band-aid. And it stayed fixed. So much of the work is getting to the tranny, disassembly and reassembly (including a couple of one-time-use seals) that replacing isn't that much more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.