Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: New to us CS36T and Westerbeke 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by novic View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. Profile info updated

Will definitely add checking the heat exchanger and anode to the to do list.
Mitipiempo: thanks for the impeller tip!
boatpoker: do you know where I could source a magnesium pencil anode ?

How much smoke should a marine diesel produce? Is the small amount of white smoke I'm noticing something to be concerned with, or within normal operating limits? The smoke dissipates within 1-2 feet behind the boat.

One additional oddity about this engine is the fuel filtration setup. There appears to be two CAV type filters hooked up in series, one on the engine, one mounted to the engine bay wall, both have identical filter elements installed. The Westerbeke service manual seems to suggest the primary filter should be a sedimenter/see through type filter which is nowhere to be found on this boat. Should I go ahead and delete the primary CAV filter on the wall and replace with a Racor type filter or simply leave well enough alone and replace both filter elements.
Sorry, I don't know where to get magnesium anodes, maybe Mainesail can chime in, he knows more about CS36's than anyone. I'd recommend a Racor type primary with the clear bowl, it makes it much easier to monitor the condition of the fuel and the filter. Maybe if you posted a photo of the exhaust smoke we may be able to offer and opinion but a "small amount" is a little too subjective.
Old 06-26-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Smoke or steam?
boatpoker likes this.
Old 06-26-2014

novic is on a distinguished road

Mainesail, good pickup. I went back to the survey and the prop is a 18 x 12 folder. Brand/pitch not specified. Seems like an awful lot of prop to me, but I suppose that's within factory specs. Next time I'm at the boat, I'll take some pictures of the transom exhaust. I can't say I can tell the difference between steam and smoke, best I can describe is it looks like what comes out of everyone's tailpipe on a cold winter day. Smells like Diesel though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Steam will dissipate a short distance from the transom, smoke will leave a lingering 'trail' if it's calm. White smoke is often an indication of a coolant leak, as antifreeze burns white. But overly warm water(vapour) looks white too until it condenses away.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-26-2014

Well, I guess what I'm seeing is possibly some steam. I'll keep an eye on things for now, especially the coolant, get the maintenance done, get a manual tach to compare to the gauge and hope for the best. In the meantime, going to get ready to go do some sailing
Old 06-26-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Novic.. maybe you're obsessing over things just a bit? Make sure all the fluids are right and use the boat. Just check coolant level after you are actually using the engine more.

Buyers remorse will make you dig and dig at things until you finally find the one thing that makes you say AH HA!! I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THIS BOAT!!"
AlaskaMC likes this.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Novic.. maybe you're obsessing over things just a bit? Make sure all the fluids are right and use the boat. Just check coolant level after you are actually using the engine more.

Buyers remorse will make you dig and dig at things until you finally find the one thing that makes you say AH HA!! I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THIS BOAT!!"
Great line!!! I have been guilty of this before but never able to put it cohesively to others! You nailed it.
Old 06-26-2014

Denise,
I won't deny that I can certainly be a bit OCD about things However, in this case, it's also a bit difficult for me to assess what is and isn't normal as I have next to no experience with sailboats and diesel engines. I really appreciate everyone's input, as I now have a few ideas about things to look out for and projects to tackle.

And no worries about buyers remorse. Although probably a bit on the big side for our "starter" boat, our previous largest vessel being a 16ft canoe, so far we love the CS!

Thanks again everyone, and I'm sure I'll be coming up with all sorts of newbie questions.
Old 06-26-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Oh.. I know that feeling! my son and I used to build canoes LOL

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Congrats on the new boat. I know it's not easy, but try not to obsess to much about things. Really, if the engine ran fine for 2+ hours and didn't burn or leak anything, it must be in decent condition. Change the fluids so you have good baseline, then enjoy the boat.

A few minor points:
-Without a clear bowl on one of the fuel filters you really have no way of knowing what's in the tank. One of my fears with old boats is sediment being stirred up in rough seas and clogging the filter. With a clear bowl you can at least get some indication of the tank condition.
-Do you have engine driven refrigeration? If so, there another type of heat exchange with another anode.
-While are working in the engine compartment be cause to check the stuffing box for drips, leaks, etc. That may require some maintenance as well.

Take care,
Barry