Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2014

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road
Perkins 4-107 in Bellingham help

I am getting ready to drop back in the water in a new to me sailboat with a perkins 4-107. I and the boat are in Bellingham and I am mechanically, shall we say, less then pro level.. ok less than amateur level.

I had a Mechanic look over it and said everything seemed to be there and hooked up correctly but the shop is super busy and will take more then a week until he could actually fit me in to do anything.

I am hopeing I can find someone to help me look it over a little more, check the tank check the impeller, check the fuel filters etc. then in a perfect world come back over when I try to fire it up a few days lator. when I actually drop back in the water. I am doing this rebuild on as small a budget as I can manage, but I can clear a little something for your time and travel.

this is the first of many I need help posts I expect to be putting up here but hopefully most the rest will be able to be done by me and just some pointers in which way to go next.

thank you in advance
contact me through the messaging here and Ill send you my phone or email what eve you prefer.
Old 06-26-2014

Re: Perkins 4-107 in Bellingham help

or if anyone knows a good mechanic in bellingham that might have some time that would work too.
Old 06-26-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Don't know anyone in Bellingham, but I can point you in a couple directions of good reliable and knowledgable folks.

Stewart Marine Engine & Machine Works - Ballard - Seattle, WA | Yelp

This guy, and his wife are awesome. They have forgotten more about perkins engines than most will ever know. Their shop is a mess, and they bicker, and Stewart looks like Billy-Bob from "U-Turn" but they're great people. I got stuck, unable to bleed my engine after changing the fuel filter and he dropped what he was doing in the shop and walked me through it over the phone. I wanted to try it and call him back but he wouldn't let me off the phone until she fired up. I tried to give them business every chance I could.

Some of my new favorite people are Chuck and Carol from Norpac marine surveors. They also have a diesel shop and Carol owned a truck diesel repair shop for 40-some years. They're great people also and very knowledgeable. Awesome surveyors too.

One or the other of these two may be able to help you find someone good up in Bellingham. In fact, Stewart once was trying to help me out by arranging for one of his employees, who lives up north, to drive up on a weekend to work on my boat.

MedSailor

PS What kind of boat is it? Did you get a survey? Does the perkins have any known or suspected issues?
Old 07-10-2014

no survey was bought as a restoration then the company went out of business and Im stuck figuring it all out. engine supposedly had a full rebuild 150 hours ago so I do not expect any large problems but without being able to put the masts up(thats another issue for lator) I want to make sure the engine is going to get me home.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.