Hans Christian 39 Pilothouse; Rebuild oldd engine versus repower with new - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Hans Christian 39 Pilothouse; Rebuild oldd engine versus repower with new

Now we are talking choice of engine. I really like a 60hp isuzie for your situation. no blower and parts redly available anywhere.(small truck ) I installed a 100 hp with a hurth 630 for the needed step down. Cheaper and way more rugged than a Yami. I would hang the engine on a chain block and 4x4s or whatever underneath. and make up arms to reach out or up for the rubber mounts. The rears are simply bent J's to make the width(5/8 x 3) If they bolt to the block rather than the tranny, better. The fronts can be a bit more complex as they can have larger pads for mounting alt or hydraulics .Drill some likely bolt holes before installation for use later.Make sure you move everything forw'd far enough to clear things like oil filter, fuel pump re/re .A new shaft is cheap compared to unhappy every time you look at it.If you run out of stringer length, just grind and glass on an extension.Nothing you can't do yourself with all of us looking over your shoulder.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Maybe Callie is "locked in" with the re power outfit. hope not!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014

Caille is on a distinguished road

I am not locked in.

However, I am veritably locked in (by my own choosing) for a few reasons.

1) I want this done in a reasonable time frame and both teaching myself how to and doing it will eat up time I can spend on project parts I am more comfortable with (electric systems, wiring, head systems, tiling in the head, water systems, teak/brightwork, etc). I can then learn about engines through servicing first and build my knowledge.

2) I want the warranty on my engine that comes with using an authorized dealer. Since I plan to start in the Sound for a while it is good to have a warranty in my home port.

3) My marina is not cheap for things like boom truck/fork lifting. $150 an hour and a minimum of 1.5 hours. This can add up really fast. Though the framework method would alleviate some of it.

4) I do not have to pay work yard fees for the entire time my boat is in the repower shop, AND, the guys there will let us work on her when they are not. Free work yard hours is a big bonus when it costs $2500/month to be in the work yard! That is a month or so for free, before we work from the slip.

5) My knowledge of marine diesel engines and systems is limited, by working with these chaps on this I am able to pickle their brain on other systems. Similar to what I can do here but face to face.

6) They have proven time and again to not be greedy, telling me if I do not need to add something, or pointing out cheaper ways to do something. They are also quick to point me to thing I can do solo and have generally been very helpful.

7) They are going to be spraying her for us as well, we will have sanded, washed, and taped her off by the time they get her so it is going to be a less expensive paint job. But seeing as how they are doing two major jobs for us. One of which we are not allowed to do in out Marina, working with them on both makes a good deal of sense. We are not allowed to erect a tent and spray her ourselves in the work yard, it is roll on and brush back, or let them spray her. Spray looks better and is much less labor if we do all the prep.

Now I know that with the combined knowledge of everyone here I could likely do this myself. I intend to utilize this forum to build on my knowledge simultaneously anyways. But I am also younger, and still work full time. After Tuesday, when my vacation is over I am able to work on the boat from about 6am-11am then I have to run to work for a full day; after which the yard is closed. I cannot afford to keep her for months in the work yard with so little time to work on her. Moving it over to their shop alleviates that part of the financial burden. Allowing me to do work on her this month and then not having to pay yard fees next (though still being able to do some work), after which we can work in slip ($500/mo as opposed to $2500/mo).

On a final note, one side is sanded and evened out to be washed with cleaner today. Teak gunwale on the port side is almost sanded of its white aging and should be done today. Starboard side paint should be sanded and ready by tomorrow, with me getting to the gunwhale starboard tomorrow to begin it if I can finish the port side today. Cockpit's ancient teak caulking is almost removed so we can begin up there. Moving along.

Engine decision should be made tomorrow once I talk to the distributor and get some actual measurements. It is looking like the 54 hp naturally aspirated is going to be smaller. But considering the similarities between the 4jh5e, 4jh4te, and 4jh4hte I have to be careful to make sure.

Caille
Old 07-06-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a plan Callie! Please do keep us posted? I know when I try to help online it often looks like "another heavy hitter" trying to tell someone what to do, even though it's really not meant that way.

Project boats and the people reviving them deserve all the praise we can muster because; they are usually saving a vessel worth saving!

Good luck on the paint!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014

Froggy is on a distinguished road

I almost bought one of the 9 about 10 years ago. It's name was (is?) Jolly Mon. The owner had repowered with an Izuzu 50 or 60hp I think, and he was very happy with it as it was underpowered with the original engine. It was sold to someone in Washington and had been resold a few years later I believe. I would try Googleing it and maybe you can get some insight and contact with a current owner. Good Luck!