Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Gauges for Yanmar YSB-8?

I've never even seen metric pipe anywhere in my trade HVAC, not that I ever thought of looking for it., my dad was a plumber too. so the MM is the size but not actually differen't from what is used here in the USA? seems so.

Diameter Nominal
DN
(mm) Nominal Pipe Size
NPS
(inches)
6 1/8
8 1/4
10 3/8
15 1/2
20 3/4
25 1
32 1 1/4
40 1 1/2
50 2
65 2 1/2
80 3

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I've never even seen metric pipe anywhere in my trade HVAC, not that I ever thought of looking for it., my dad was a plumber too. so the MM is the size but not actually differen't from what is used here in the USA? seems so.

Diameter Nominal
DN
(mm) Nominal Pipe Size
NPS
(inches)
6 1/8
8 1/4
10 3/8
15 1/2
20 3/4
25 1
32 1 1/4
40 1 1/2
50 2
65 2 1/2
80 3
Metric pipe sizes are very close, but threads are different. Slightly different number of threads per inch for the same OD pipe, and threads have a slightly different shape. See ISO 7-1. From the Engineering Toolbox online:

"NPT threads may look similar to ISO 7/1 threads. However, ISO and NPT threads should not be mixed. ISO threads have 55o taper angle versus 60o for NPT. The NPT root and crest configurations are also different from ISO. For ISO threads pitch is usually measured in millimeters (may be expressed in Inch). The pitch are different."
Old 07-15-2014

cptjak is on a distinguished road

Come on doesn't someone know the metric pipe thread size on our
Yanmars.
Old 07-16-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjak View Post
Come on doesn't someone know the metric pipe thread size on our
Yanmars.
Unless someone has actually done this, not likely. Try your local Yanmar dealer or Mack Boring.

Mack Boring & Parts Company - Reliable Power. Everywhere.
Old 07-26-2014

cptjak is on a distinguished road

Ok found out VDO makes a metric thread universal kit
With different size adapters for oil pressure and water
temp. That is what I am going to purchase.
Old 07-27-2014

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

The sending units from later model Yanmars will fit the YSM. It is a common upgrade. Check with Mack Boring or Torrensen or Hoye Tractor.
I've seen kits from Hoye Tractor parts. http://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/TS-1470.htm for the gauge sender, $15.75. They also sell an adapter so you can use the sender from the gauge kit for about $10.00.
The alternator from later GM Yanmars has a tach terminal, and is a straight bolt in, same size case etc. Look for Hitachi LR155, 55 amp. You may need to change out the fans, as the YSM is "reverse" rotation. The YSM had a LR 135, 35 amp. The 155 will use a 1/2 horsepower more than the 35 amp, when it is putting out its full 55 amps, which is not that often. You can find the LR155 on line for about $100.00. For some reason it is a few dollars cheaper than the LR 135.
I have a YSM 12 which is why I did the research.
Lou

Last edited by lillia28; 08-11-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: additional information and clarity
Old 10-23-2014
Jerry-Bayfield-Wisconsin

JerryMeyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghubbell View Post
I have a Yanmar YSB-8 engine on my 1977 CS27, which thankfully runs like a top. The engine panel, however, is in rough shape and due for a make-over.

As I understand it, the engine system has sensors for oil pressure, engine temperature, and voltage (off alternator). I'm wondering if the existing sensors can feed an analog gauge rather than the dummy lights they are currently connected to. If not, is there a moderately painless way to get this information in the right format? I am most interested in looking to have a temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge.

I also want to add a analog tachometer, but I believe that I have to have my alternator modified for a pickup before I can do this. (I don't like the look of the tiny-tach, which I think is my only alternative).

Would appreciate any guidance, as I don't have much information on how these work.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I am about to create a new engine control panel for my boat's Yanmar YSB-8. I have purchased some inexpensive analog gauges (with sending units) from Amazon.com. (They're only about $15 each--they may be too cheaply made--we will see.) I plan to parallel the existing binary (on/off) sending unit output to the warning lights with the new analog gauge sending units so that I can SEE the pressure and temperature and also have a warning light/buzzer. I think the pipe fittings are 1/8th inch NPT. I can let you know how it all worked out next spring when I launch the boat in Lake Superior. Stay in touch. By the way, instead of a tach connected to the alternator, I ordered a hand-held tach that responds to a reflective patch on the engine pulley. (Normally, I don't need to know the exact RPM after I adjust the full-throttle and idle speeds.) The tach only costs about $20 on Amazon.com.

Last edited by JerryMeyer; 10-23-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2014

Rockter will become famous soon enough

A long time ago I fitted an oil pressure guage and oil pressure alarm to my old Volvo MD17C.
I put a wee T-piece in to the oil pressure port on the motor and fitted an oil pressure guage on to the bulkhead of the engine room (my engine room is open on one side so I can see the guage).
To the other side of the T-piece, I fitted the oil pressure switch again, and used it to close a relay (taken from a scrap BMW) that in turn called in a standard automobile horn (taken from another scrap automobile).
I put the horn on an engine room enable/disable switch so I don't get deafened if my head is in there during maintenance with motor stopped and ignition on. The horn is bolted to another engine room wall. It is very loud so anyone can hear it, anywhere on the boat. You need the relay as the oil pressure switch cannot carry the current for the horn.... the switch calls the horn in, but does not carry the current for the horn.
Remember to fuse the circuit for both horn and relay. The only melt-down I ever had on board was the one circuit I did not fuse on the boat.... the oil pressure switch.... and the battery just fried the cable in seconds.
With that lesson learned, it is still working, 20 years on.
The lot cost me about $30 for the (new) guage (0 to 60 psi), and about $10 for the other bits. When cold, my old motor at 2000 rpm will raise about 60 psi with new oil (15W/40 mineral), and new oil drops to about 35 psi when hot, and at the end of season to about 30 psi when hot.

Last edited by Rockter; 10-26-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.