Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Gauges for Yanmar YSB-8?

I have a Yanmar YSB-8 engine on my 1977 CS27, which thankfully runs like a top. The engine panel, however, is in rough shape and due for a make-over.

As I understand it, the engine system has sensors for oil pressure, engine temperature, and voltage (off alternator). I'm wondering if the existing sensors can feed an analog gauge rather than the dummy lights they are currently connected to. If not, is there a moderately painless way to get this information in the right format? I am most interested in looking to have a temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge.

I also want to add a analog tachometer, but I believe that I have to have my alternator modified for a pickup before I can do this. (I don't like the look of the tiny-tach, which I think is my only alternative).

Would appreciate any guidance, as I don't have much information on how these work.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Gauges for Yanmar YSB-8?

Generally the alarms use temperature and pressure switches, while gauges need sensors that vary in resistance. You would need to either add the sensors, or replace the switches with a unit that has both the switch and the variable resistance sensors built in. Most of the marine equipment vendors (West Marine, Defender, ect.) carry the sensors and gauges. Not too expensive - about $50 for a sensor/gauge set.
Old 07-03-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I just went down that road. I used faria gauges. about $20 each.
It's really not terribly difficult once one studies the way they hook up.
Amega gauge

sensors are pretty standard in resistant ratings.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I just went down that road. I used faria gauges. about $20 each.
It's really not terribly difficult once one studies the way they hook up.
Amega gauge

sensors are pretty standard in resistant ratings.
Did your boat originally have just dummy lights, which you converted to gauges without replacing sensors? Or did you have to replace the sensors?

I do like the look of those gauges - very nice!
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 07-03-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Just did some further research, and according to the Yanmar parts catalog, the oil pressure and engine temp senders are both switches, so they will not drive a gauge. This means I need to replace them with senders that will work on guages like Faria or Teleflex... Need to figure out how to find the correct after-market senders (I'm assuming the gauges are easy once I find the right senders...
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 07-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghubbell View Post
Just did some further research, and according to the Yanmar parts catalog, the oil pressure and engine temp senders are both switches, so they will not drive a gauge. This means I need to replace them with senders that will work on guages like Faria or Teleflex... Need to figure out how to find the correct after-market senders (I'm assuming the gauges are easy once I find the right senders...
So your research confirmed what I told you in my above post! Feel better?

You still want alarms, so don't replace the switches with senders (sensors). Either add senders or replace the switches with combination switches/senders. Again, what I said in my first post. If you check any marine retailer that sells the gauges, you will find the senders along with them. And most are standard, so you can usually mix and match brands.
Old 07-04-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
So your research confirmed what I told you in my above post! Feel better?

You still want alarms, so don't replace the switches with senders (sensors). Either add senders or replace the switches with combination switches/senders. Again, what I said in my first post. If you check any marine retailer that sells the gauges, you will find the senders along with them. And most are standard, so you can usually mix and match brands.

Yes - I do feel better! You put me on the right track, but I still had to check it out. The thing that's making me nervous now is that I read a post somewhere indicating something about metric threads on a Yanmar block, so I'm trying to figure out whether I can buy one of the standard sensors with 1/8 size fitting, or if I need a special one, or some kind of an adapter.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 07-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghubbell View Post
Yes - I do feel better! You put me on the right track, but I still had to check it out. The thing that's making me nervous now is that I read a post somewhere indicating something about metric threads on a Yanmar block, so I'm trying to figure out whether I can buy one of the standard sensors with 1/8 size fitting, or if I need a special one, or some kind of an adapter.
Good point about metric threads. Note that you can add a water temperature sensor many places in the water circuit with a tee. Just needs to be grounded to the block to complete the circuit. The oil pressure is tougher as you need to use that location. Not nearly as useful as the water temp however, so not a great loss if you decide its not worth it. Volts and fuel level are also more important than an oil pressure gauge.
Old 07-04-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Thing is.. even "marine" sending units are pretty cheap.. for temp, oil, water, volts.

my current "project"!
Old 07-05-2014

cptjak is on a distinguished road

I to want oil pressure water temp gauges. VDO makes
Metric pipe sending units but I have not removed my
fittings to try to match up the Yanmar threads.
Looking on in intreats.