Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Volvo Engines

John and I are prepping to buy Next Boat. We chose the type of boat. That is set in stone. It's a sorta heavy offshore boat.

What I am trying to talk myself out of is one with a Volvo engine.

The Chatterlings have almost convinced me that I should run, not walk, away from a boat with a Volvo engine. Too expensive to maintain, parts too hard to find, crappy engine overall, etc. I'm 99% in agreement. I want to be sure.

The fact that the used models with a Volvo have a more than $100K price difference should be a red flag and slap on the cheek. OK, and when we repowered Halcyon our marina, an authorized Volvo repair center, said don't get one for the same reasons.

Still. I did a search for parts. I found parts (although I didn't choose one engine model and search for those specific parts).

Problem is, within the money we're budgeting for this boat, there are four around the world for sale. Adding the boats with a Volvo will add two more to the list.

Are Volvo engines really as bad as their reputation says they are? Does the internet take the "parts are hard to find" off the negative side?

One suggestion was to use the difference in cost and put in a different engine. After the experience with our little engine in Halcyon and the final cost for that, I think because it has to be a much larger engine, the location in the boat and all the rest, it will quickly eat into the savings and won't be worth the mental cost in the end of doing that.

I'm just trying to eliminate the last 1% of doubt.

Thanks.
Saltyrope likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Volvo Engines

We have an old Volvo engine in our boat. It's worn out with a little over 3000 hours on it. Parts are expensive and some of them are hard to come by. We're going to do a repower and it won't be with another Volvo. The replacement Kubota type engine will be lighter, have more horsepower yet fit in the same engine compartment. I don't really have anything against the way the motors run but I think they wear out prematurely and I have a feeling their business model is like some of the cheap printer manufactures out there. Sell them cheap up front and collect it later when it's time to buy printer cartridges. I'm not a fan of older Volvo marine motors.

We also have a Volvo power pack in our patrol boat. Out drives only last 1500 hrs., then it's a rebuild or replacement that costs nearly $10,000. We're on our third outdrive. Raw water pump is worn out and can't be rebuilt. We have to replace the whole darn thing. I'm not a fan of new Volvo motors either.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 08-05-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Which model volvo. I have a 2003T. Never had a problem finding parts w/ some effort at times. There is an on line volvo parts store. Parts can be pricy.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 08-05-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2014
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Which model volvo. I have a 2003T. Never had a problem finding parts w/ some effort at times. There is an on line volvo parts store. Parts can be pricy.
Jim
One listing says MD2003T, the other says just 2003T. Probably the same engine.

I did a search on the model and some posts in other forums seem to think of all the models, that particular one is the least desirable.

Since it's a Swedish boat, probably they used a Swedish (at the time) engine when it was factory new.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-05-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I worked as a mechanic in a small Volvoshop back in 70-71. The early imports; the B-16thru B-18 and 20 were cast iron workhorses. Engines as late as 1968 and were difficult to get parts for. It seemed that we. waited forthem to mine the ore! Remember...these were the days of regular overhauls in EU and UK. Americans. wanted engines to run for 100's of thousands of miles betweeeen rebuilds and near zero maint.
There were specialtool sets and gear for every model/must be "approved" and Volvo branded! Aftermarket parts were available in some instances; used particularly by autos out of warrantee.
Once the "thinking man's car" became more a status symbol, it was all downhill. I had a '72 wagon that near broke me in parts and maint..My '65 544 ? never a worry...until parts dried up!

A Volvo sail-drive??

Double-Whammy!
Old 08-05-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Couple things on the 2003t.
They have a potential problem w/ the spline on the trany shaft into the fly wheel. If the motor was slammed into reverse a lot, think launch, the fly wheel gets stripped. There is a fix but requires some machining.
The engine has no engine zinc so check corrosion on the heat exchanger and raw water side. parts are available but not cheap. Don't ask how I know.
Rebuild kits for the turbo are getting hard to find but there out there. I found one for mine last winter for $180. It is a common turbo and shops can do the work.
My motor runs smooth and quiet but when I have to replace it I won't get another volvo.
Jim
Old 08-05-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Donna, I do think that whatever engine you get, you're going to need a reliable supply of parts for and good local service.

I'm quite happy with my old MD2040 - mainly because (a) it runs reliably, (b) it's easy to service (almost everything in a sensible spot on the engine you can access from the front) and (c)has more grunt than I'll ever need (as a test I towed 2 other yachts - one 30' and one 28' - at hull speed once and found I still had power to spare!)

People rave about Yanmar, but a friend of mine (who owns the abovementioned 30-footer) swears at the lack of access and the fact it's let him down on more than one occasion.. including the one above.

Sure, Volvo parts are expensive - but at least you can buy them pretty-much anywhere in the world without the mechanic looking at you funny and saying "Bukh?!? Never heard of it.. Isn't that something you read?"

Caution note: Whatever you get, make sure you can easily access all the important parts (oil drain, dipstick, drain plugs, drain cocks, fuel filters, injectors, fuel pump, belts, starter, wiring connections). Unless they're not designed to be marine engines from the block upward, some brands are right pigs from the second you get them into the boat.

..oh, and avoid turbo'd engines like the plague. They're only something else to go wrong.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-05-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2014

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

I think if you do a little serious Internet searching, you'll find that Volvo has more of a bad rep than it deserves.

I've got a couple MD2030s in the cat and I can't find anything particularly wrong with them, and the saildrives they're hooked to are 20 years old, original to the boat. The engines have been replaced, and I was not told why when I bought the boat. Boat's had a hard life, her first ten years were in the charter service, so I figure that's prolly why the engines were tired. Plus, they were lower hp than these 2030s.

MarinePartsExpress.com is a valuable resource for Volvo stuff.

And also, if you do some searching, you'll find that quite a few of the Volvos are actually rebranded, for instance, Perkins. Thus, you can find parts cheaper than the Volvo branded parts by searching for the 'real' engine maker. Below is a quote from another forum, with a really good description in regards who's making engines for Volvo.

"

I have the same engine, although mine's called a Perkins M30, and often otherwise referred to as a Perama, or 100 Series... You can save yourself some money by avoiding dealing with either a Volvo or Perkins reseller, after coming to an understanding that this little beast has become one of the most popular tractor engines in the world...

This information was originally posted by Blais Marine in Seattle, and has since been widely circulated on a number of forums. I don't have the original link, this is from what I've saved in a file:

Quote:

Those filters are getting easier to find, if you know where to look, and this is why:

Your engine is what Perkins calls a 103-10. Perkins started importing these 100 series engines from a Japanese company called Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery, Ltd. nearly twenty years ago. ISM is part of Ishikawajima Harima Industries, one of Japan’s largest industrial companies. Perkins marketed this engine in a marinized version as the Perama M30. They sold the engine to Volvo Penta who marketed it as their MD2030. They also sold the engine to Massey Ferguson, McCormick, Terramite, Textron, Jacobsen, Cushman, Vermeer, Leech Lewis, JCB, Kobelco, and Northern Lights to name just a few. In the US, the engine was distributed thru Detroit Diesel – Allison which is closely tied to the MTU conglomerate. By 1996, Perkins had become so successful at marketing these engines to other equipment manufacturers that they formed a joint venture with ISM called Perkins Shibaura Engines, Ltd. and began assembling the engines at the Perkins facility in Peterborough, UK from parts shipped from Japan. In 1997, Perkins was acquired by Caterpillar. With an added boost from Caterpillar, this little engine has become one of the most popular engines in the world. It’s used in turf equipment, tractors, mini-excavators, brush choppers, compressors, welders, pumps, generators, etc. etc. etc. Even Caterpillar uses it in some of their smaller equipment. The “Perkins” name was highlighted on the engine ID plate which is located on a distinctive boss just forward of the injection pump. The 2006 model year’s production of the engine has “Shibaura” highlighted on the ID plate. In 2001, the larger Shibaura 400 series engine was introduced with assembling at Peterborough, UK from parts mostly from Japan, and in June, 2004 assembling of the 400 series engine began at a Caterpillar facility in Griffin, Georgia, USA with production exceeding 100,000 units per year.

Perkins’ current part number for the oil filter is 140517050 and sells here in Kent, WA at Perkins Pacific for $6.85. At least that was the price a couple of months ago. All the earlier Perkins oil filter part numbers for this series of engine have superseded to this number. And all the engines in this series (two, three, and four cylinder 100 series) are supposed to take the same filter. I believe that Volvo’s part number is or was 834337. The filter should be readily available from any of the other equipment manufacturer’s using the engine including Caterpillar, and from many of the major filter manufacturers.

I think the numbers you had were:

Oil Filter = Fleetguard LF3826 or LF3376, Wix 51335, Fram PH3512, NAPA FIL1335.
Diesel Filter = Fleetguard LF5114, Wix 33386, Fram P3627, NAPA FIL3386, Volvo 861477-8?.

Disclaimer: Before using any parts suggested here, check them out for yourself, I could be mistook.
His last caution should be noted, as this original information is now perhaps a decade old... Parts numbers change over time, I'm currently using Fleetguard oil flters, for instance, and the current number is now different from the one listed...

If you ever need help with parts for the Volvo 2030/Perkins M30, a good source is TransAtlantic Diesel in Whitemarsh, VA... They're very knowledgeable about this series of engine, nice folks to deal with, they've always given me great service... But for major items like a starter, for instance, you can do much better shopping around with an understanding of what the engine really is, beneath the brand plate..."

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 08-05-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2014
A mod and her dragon

Thank you all.

Now my 99% against has gone down to 85% against. I'll continue the research.

Also, because all the other boats listed have Yanmars, I'm thinking that if they DID have the Volvo as the original engine, that it came to the end of its life and they repowered. If that's the case, I probably won't have much time before I'd have to do the same, which is what happened with us two years ago with Halcyon and her 30-YO engine.

All this is part of my research and your responses are very much appreciated.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-06-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

If/when we re-power it won't be with a new Volvo, but in general I think the negative reputation of the older engines is undeserved. Consider the fact that there are thousands of older Volvos still in older boats that are generally working fine. That tells me that those engines last a long time and parts must be available, right? Our current engine (model MD31A, 62hp, 4 cyl., 1988) has 5000+- hrs on it and it runs perfectly other than a little smoke at start up. It uses no oil between changes (100 hrs), parts are available (although I've heard some are starting to be difficult to find, and expensive), and it generally acts like it will last forever. My father's boat had a 1970 Volvo in it and that little engine was running great until he had it replaced just a few years ago. The reason he replaced it was the transmission cone clutch went out and they were no longer available, but it was 40 years old! On the other side of the coin, I had a newer Volvo (AD41P, 200hp, 6 cyl, 2002) that was defective (bad casting in the block resulting in several head gasket changes) and had several other issues as well. So I'm not a fan of ALL Volvo engines. I wouldn't rule out a boat solely because it had a Volvo engine, but like any other engine I would have it thoroughly checked out by the best mechanic available.
The other consideration when looking at older boats is if you can get a nice boat with a bad engine and can negotiate a good price you could just plan to replace the engine immediately and consider it part of the purchase price of a boat with a brand new engine of your choosing.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.