Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips on loosening screw

I'm quite familiar with impact torque units. When I taught shop metal 12 it was a popular lath project. They worked really well but it's OK if you have to buy your tools. Just giter done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Here is the tool I would actually recommend for most peoples tool kit does screws as well as uses 1/2 drive sockets. Impact Screwdriver Set with Case I have used mine on many jobs even to break loose over tightened lugnuts on a car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2014

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is the tool I would actually recommend for most peoples tool kit does screws as well as uses 1/2 drive sockets. Impact Screwdriver Set with Case I have used mine on many jobs even to break loose over tightened lugnuts on a car
And after you break it loose using the impact driver, you can use the bit and adapter with your ratchet to back it out.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 08-09-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fix typo.
Old 08-12-2014

carlager is on a distinguished road
Tips on loosening screw

I drilled out both screws with a special drill and was lucky not to ruin the threads.

The oil seal on the hand cranck shaft was leaking and I needed to remove the cover to replace it.

I have now replace the seal with a new one and hope this will stop the leak (The old seal looked OK to me).
Old 08-12-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I think you got lucky, not hearing any cursing and all. What was the "special" drill?
John
Old 08-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlager View Post
I drilled out both screws with a special drill and was lucky not to ruin the threads.

The oil seal on the hand cranck shaft was leaking and I needed to remove the cover to replace it.

I have now replace the seal with a new one and hope this will stop the leak (The old seal looked OK to me).
Did you try the impact drive or just move directly to drilling out the screws?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-13-2014

carlager is on a distinguished road

I bought a DeWalt impact driver (had to bring my tool box up to date any way

The phillips notches were destroyed on both screws when using the impact driver. Cut a new one - which also broke.

Then there was nothing else to do than drilling out the screws. It was remarkably easy (and no cursing )

Below is a photo of the drill and the screw with the destroyed notch Tips on loosening screw-foto.jpg
Old 08-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlager View Post
I bought a DeWalt impact driver (had to bring my tool box up to date any way

The phillips notches were destroyed on both screws when using the impact driver. Cut a new one - which also broke.

Then there was nothing else to do than drilling out the screws. It was remarkably easy (and no cursing )

Below is a photo of the drill and the screw with the destroyed notch Attachment 34337

Ah... FWIW the impact drive I referred to is manual requiring only a good sharp blow from a heavy hammer which tends to press the screw bit into the screw as well as applying the twist, which cuts down on the chance of buggering up the screw. With electric impact drivers, its sometime difficult to apply enough pressure to a screw head to avoid the problem. They do work well on bolts, however. N'any case, I'm glad you were successful and hope that resolves your leakage problem.
ccriders likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-14-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

FWIW, I was also told (and have not enquired further) that a lot of Japanese equipment did not use Philips screws. Electronics and camera equipment from Japan often used Reed-Prince and other screws that are very similar to Philips--but just different enough to mangle them. This is supposedly because Philips refused to license patents to "the Japs".

Dunno if that's all bunk, but I've learned that there's a lot of variation in what is and isn't a genuine Philips head screw, and the quality of the drivers.

FWIW
Old 08-15-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
FWIW, I was also told (and have not enquired further) that a lot of Japanese equipment did not use Philips screws. Electronics and camera equipment from Japan often used Reed-Prince and other screws that are very similar to Philips--but just different enough to mangle them.
I can't speak to the patent issues. I can say that I have run into a lot of Frearson (also called Reed and Prince) screws on boats, particularly in good quality woodwork, including screws used to hold down the sole.

Frearson screws have a lot going for them: one bit fits all size screws and they are much less likely to cam out than a Phillips screw.

I'm a fan.

For more than you really want to know:
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.