Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MarkSF
  • 1 Post By aa3jy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13 Hours Ago
S/V "MACKINAC"

Maine_bill is on a distinguished road
Diesel oil question

My Universal M-30 diesel calls for 10w-40 diesel oil. Locally I can only find 5w-30 or 15w-40.
Can I substitute for another weight oil??? If so which way do I go. Living and sailing in Maine.
OR
Do I look around to find the right weight
Thanks
Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 13 Hours Ago

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel oil question

All I can say is, I've been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 for the last 4 years in my Universal 5424, and the previous owner used it for about 10. I buy it from Walmart.

If you really want 10w40, Shell make Rotella T5, a more expensive synthetic blend, in 10w40. I can see the advantage being easier starting on very cold days, and you're in a colder climate than me.

Both are well-respected diesel oils.

Interestingly, I just fixed a noisy tappet in my Land Rover V8, with Rotella T. Took about 500 miles to work its magic.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 13 Hours Ago
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

or delo 400....I stick with oils for the life of the engine or for the time I use said engine

switcing oils searching for the holy grail does no good and in some cases can cause excess sludge and or sediment

15-40 is fine in a 10 40 specd engine.

unless you are in freezing morning temps you are in the same temp range that calls for 10 40

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13 Hours Ago

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
If you really want 10w40, Shell make Rotella T5, a more expensive synthetic blend, in 10w40. I can see the advantage being easier starting on very cold days, and you're in a colder climate than me.
A caution note about using synthetics in an older diesel engine..

Using synthetic oils in older engines
christian.hess likes this.
Old 13 Hours Ago
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yeah Im no fan of synthetics for an old inboard diesel

if anything stick to dino stuff the delo 400 and rotella are so similar its funny...they are heavy and have nice amounts of detergents and anti shearing qualities.

if you are worried about wear previous to your ownership you can add some zddp like stp, or marvel mystery oil(those are the only 2 I have used and recomend) and call it good.

again stick to the same oil for the life of your engine especially if you have access to the same oil in your area...unless you move to another climate your good to go with 15-40

NOW BE WARNED this is the beginning of an oil thread, and wars start easily as soon as someone says only use this dont do that and never do this etc...

be warned! jajajaa

Old 10 Hours Ago
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Bill, 10W40 should be stocked at any auto parts store. And any gas station. If you don't see it and don't need to do the oil change today, any service station can order it in for you. That might mean buying a case (12 cans) but wtf, it won't go stale.

Usually you can go below the ##W end of the rating, a lower number just means easier starting in cold weather. And the higher number reflects typical operation, that's more important. If your engine calls for 40 and you use 30, it is under-protected in high temperatures. If you use 50, the oil stays too thick and you lose some economy and power. But if you are worried, the right oil certainly can be ordered in for you. Check a price versus mail order or Amazon just to make sure you're not being taken advantage of on that.
Old 9 Hours Ago

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I do think it's a good idea to use a diesel-focused oil like Delo or Rotella T, not just any 10w40. They have more of the detergents and surfactants to keep all that soot in solution. They also clean up a dirty engine, given time.