Partner shut off key on overnight run now engine won't run... - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Partner shut off key on overnight run now engine won't run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRickW View Post
I am very confident there is nothing inside the injector, it was stripped and cleaned. What I don't know about the injector is the pop pressure and volume...
I'm really not intending to debate you. I'm make it my last input on the issue. The injector nozzle itself is measured in microns (one-millionth of a meter). It takes an imperceptible amount of stuff to screw it up. Without professional ultra-sound, etc, equip to clean it, I don't understand why you're so confident. Nevertheless, all the best with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Take the belt off the alternator and see if it spins OK, since the engine ran at higher rpms and died when you went to idle maybe the alternator is binding just enough to stall out the engine at idle.
This!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 08-28-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm really not intending to debate you. I'm make it my last input on the issue. The injector nozzle itself is measured in microns (one-millionth of a meter). It takes an imperceptible amount of stuff to screw it up. Without professional ultra-sound, etc, equip to clean it, I don't understand why you're so confident. Nevertheless, all the best with it.
I agree here. It takes specialized tools to clean an injector. Sticking a needle into the nozzle (which is what some people are tempted to do to clean an injector) will surely have damaged it if that is what was done.

Having said that, I vote for the alternator binding and causing resistance.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-28-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRickW View Post
I am very confident there is nothing inside the injector, it was stripped and cleaned. What I don't know about the injector is the pop pressure and volume.

The fuel has all been replaced.

It is possible that something is going on with the throttle/governor. I will look into it a bit more.

Yes the batteries were dead after the run. That's because when the key is off, there is no field current to the alternator so it doesn't produce any voltage. The other thing with the key off is the electric fuel pump doesn't work. My engine doesn't seem to have a mechanical lift pump.

Quote:
The other thing with the key off is the electric fuel pump doesn't work.
Perhaps somewhere there is a mechanical pump in series or in parallel with the electric pump? Unless fuel will gravity flow from the tank I think you would need either a mechanical or electric lift pump?

If so, maybe they are interacting with each other. A drawing of how your fuel system is configured would be helpful.

Paul T
Old 08-28-2014

JRickW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
It takes specialized tools to clean an injector. Sticking a needle into the nozzle (which is what some people are tempted to do to clean an injector) will surely have damaged it if that is what was done.
I understand and appreciate your concern and I am not going to assume that the injector is good. I will, of course be wary of the injector and may in-fact end up replacing it. But I can assure you that I fully and carefully disassembled the injector, every part was cleaned and inspected under a microscope. Then each part was lubricated with light oil and reassembled. The injector on this engine is a rather simple mechanical affair. It is not like an auto injector with solenoid and extremely fine holes. It is a precisely machined pin which is held in the end cap hole by a spring. The fuel pressure is countered by the spring until the "pop off" pressure is reached. At that time, the pin retracts out of the hole in the end cap and the fuel escapes out of the hole.

Again, thank you for your assistance. I am appreciative all all comments and theories. Some ideas I had not thought of, some I had, and others I am reconsidering.

Keep'em coming!
Old 08-28-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

After years of electric assist fuel pump ,no surprise that sudden demand to go it alone,the mechanical pump gives it up. weak return spring fail or suck air when before was all right ,Cam lobe is worn (or cam following arm) and didn't matter before. Love a mystery, let us know.
Tempest and bljones like this.
Old 08-29-2014
Lake Hack

Clarks Hill Windbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
After years of electric assist fuel pump ,no surprise that sudden demand to go it alone,the mechanical pump gives it up. weak return spring fail or suck air when before was all right ,Cam lobe is worn (or cam following arm) and didn't matter before. Love a mystery, let us know.
+1

Alternator dragging enough to choke down engine at idle isn't realistic. Belt would slip, screech, or smoke.
Old 08-30-2014
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Is the boat bottom clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Old 08-31-2014

JRickW is on a distinguished road

A quick update:

It is not the alternator.
It is not the electric fuel pump.
It had no bubbles in the fuel.

I am most suspicious of the injector pump or injector so I have removed the injector pump. I have not inspected it yet. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2014
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Is this a problem under load or present with no load? Black soot means unburnt fuel doesn't it?

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean

Last edited by Night_Sailor; 09-01-2014 at 12:25 AM.