Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Won't Start after 4 hours of cruising.

I have Universal M25 in a 1985 Catalina 30.

Motorsailed to Catalina Island (4 hours) at a steady 2200 RPM (The throttle lever is at max forward, but only brings the engine up to 2200)

Stayed the night in Catalina, started up the engine and left, it was a 3.5 hour motorsail again at 2200 RPM, then I slowed it down in the harbor and went to the fuel dock. Engine off, filled the tank with diesel, then the engine would NOT start.

It sort of rolled over as if the glow plug wasn't ready. After 15 minutes trying a few times, I called for a tow - the guy said $300 (for a 100 yard tow to the slip) and put me on hold - while on hold, I tried the engine one more time and it fired right up as if nothing was the matter.

Any idea? Could it have been flooded, even though it was running fine during the 3.5 hour motor back from the island? Another dock-neighbor said something about "vapor lock" and I'm not even sure what that's about, but I nodded my head.

Thankful I didn't have to spend the money for a 2 minute tow.

Any insight or advice is appreciated!
Maine Sail likes this.
Old 10-13-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Won't Start after 4 hours of cruising.

I'd be looking at the starter.. they can have a 'bad spot', or the solenoid can weaken and either can be intermittent problems..

Not enough breeze to turn the motor off altogether??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

If I were you, the first thing I would do is buy a towing policy from BoatUS (BoatUS Towing). Then, check your batteries to ensure they're good; your fuel filter to ensure that it's not full of gunk and/or water that settled a little while you were waiting and allowed fuel to pass through; and, your wiring to ensure the connections are sound to your starter. IF the engine is turning over too slowly, it won't start. Most diesel engines pop to life within two or three revolutions at good rotational speed, eh Faster?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-13-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

"Rolled over"? Meaning turning over very slowly? If the engine was warm, it should spin over rather quickly, assuming the battery is good? Maybe bad terminal connections?

Maybe check battery with a hydrometer? If reading is good, bad connections could be the next place to look. Might not hurt to disconnect all connections, clean with a wire brush & re-connect.

After cleaning & making sure the battery is charged, maybe the starter or solenoid is/are going bad? You could try jumping, with a heavy cable, directly from the battery to the starter terminal, but be ready for it to fire.

Sounds like it is getting fuel to run that long at speed. But as mentioned, debris could be floating around in the tank or the filter.

Paul T
Old 10-13-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Thanks these are great suggestions. I will do a good battery check and clean/maintenance asap. I was thinking fuel pump, but it was running perfectly well (and has for two years) and did after it started up again.

I would elaborate the "rolling over" as more of a chug chug chug and that was it, it didn't actually start. Just bizarre that it started as usual after waiting 20 minutes. My pilot friend that it's common on prop planes and probably flooded...

I HAVE THE BOATUS TOWING POLICY! Can you believe it? That's the number I called, for their seatow, and he said "okay with your insurance through us, and the $50 off, it will be $300.

I was blown away.

In most scenarios I would/could sail into the dock. Today was blowing a little stronger than I was comfortable - I'm glad I didn't try either because there was a boat blocking my dock area the first time around, I had to circle and go back, this would've been disaster under sail
Old 10-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
Thanks these are great suggestions. I will do a good battery check and clean/maintenance asap. I was thinking fuel pump, but it was running perfectly well (and has for two years) and did after it started up again.

I would elaborate the "rolling over" as more of a chug chug chug and that was it, it didn't actually start. Just bizarre that it started as usual after waiting 20 minutes. My pilot friend that it's common on prop planes and probably flooded...

I HAVE THE BOATUS TOWING POLICY! Can you believe it? That's the number I called, for their seatow, and he said "okay with your insurance through us, and the $50 off, it will be $300.

I was blown away.

In most scenarios I would/could sail into the dock. Today was blowing a little stronger than I was comfortable - I'm glad I didn't try either because there was a boat blocking my dock area the first time around, I had to circle and go back, this would've been disaster under sail
Ah... Phil... Seatow and TowBoatUS are not the same although, if you put a call out on 16 Seatow will often answer. For you, with a BoatUS policy, either call for TowBoatUS or Vessel Assist on VHF 16; or, if you are within Cell Phone Range, Call 800-391-4869 for Dispatch. BoatUS doesn't screw with their subscribers or, for that matter, with subscribers to other services. SeaTow...not so much in some areas. You (almost) got Hustled Dude! SeaTow "ain't" what you needed/wanted.

While I may be misinformed (and others here abouts will surely correct me if I am) I have never heard of a "Vapor Lock" on a diesel although that problem, in a carburetor, was not uncommon on gasoline engines because the fuel was so volatile and carburetors, sitting on intake manifolds on top of the cylinders could get hot enough that fuel in the carburetor bowl could vaporize and lock-up the fuel distribution system. "Side draft" carburetors supposedly overcame that problem but, frankly, not too well (ask anyone that owned a mid-60's era MG/MGB/Jaguar. (BTDT) I suspect the problem is crap in your fuel filter, and particularly water. By your description of the starting effort, however, it certainly sounds like your starter was spinning awfully s-l-o-w-l-y which "ain't" normal either.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-13-2014

Ward H is on a distinguished road

Phil,
I know nothing about your diesel problem but do have a comment on your towing insurance.
Check your TowBoatUS coverage. There are a couple of levels. Sounds like you have Basic which costs $24. Pays first $50 of a tow.
Unlimited or Gold would be needed to completely cover a tow. I think the difference is both would cover towing from a restricted dock to your home slip but Gold includes that plus covers towing from your home slip to a repair facility. I seem to remember when I spoke to them that that was the only difference between Unlimited and Gold. They told me I didn't need Gold since I had an OB that the yard would work on in the slip and would move it to the lift if needed.

Worth checking before you need it.

Last edited by Ward H; 10-13-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

HyLyte you are not wrong about the vapour lock thing.Beat me to the comment. You didn't mention the cure for it. Cool the carb and/or fuel pump. Tried and true method is to stand on the fender and whizz at the parts. worked best on the fuel pump of the flat head V8 Ford. On the 6's hard to avoid the exhaust manifold with awful results Diesel problem nearly always stem from air sucking in somewhere or dirt./water. Old starters can get tired before they fail. sometimes just need new brushes.and a clean commutator .Worked for me and my starter is OK too.

Last edited by Capt Len; 10-13-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2014

Aquarian is on a distinguished road

Had a similar issue a while back. Fought it for months before we finally thoroughly checked the fuel tank vent hose. Ours was routed so as to allow overfilled or sloshed diesel to accumulate in a low spot until it completely blocked the vent. A blast of air to remove the diesel from the line followed by rerouting it solved the problem.
miatapaul likes this.
Old 10-14-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think we're all missing the elephant in the room. According to the OP, the motor is only making 2200 rpm at wide open throttle. According to a quick google search, the M25 should make 3000rpm at WOT.

That's a basic test of prop pitch or engine health and it's failed. I would want to know why.

Prop pitch is always my first guess, unless the condition changed and the prop hasn't been touched. However, if one has an adjustable folding/feathering prop, it may be hung up all of a sudden.

If not the prop, there is a problem with its internal organs somewhere. Fuel, air, compression. Check 'em out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.