Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-26-2014
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
What constitutes a load on a diesel engine?

Thereís not much wind here in Indonesia and I have been compelled to do more motoring than I am accustomed to, sometimes several days at a time. My engine is a Perkins 4.236M with a Borg Warner Transmission and V-drive. To conserve fuel, I am often running running between 1000 and 1200rpm. This keeps the engine temp at 155deg (it only goes up to 160 when I run her up to 1800rpm) and goves me 4.5-5.5kts. A diesel likes to be run under a load but would these low RPMs and temps enough to prevent sooty, gunky buildup? Periodically, I do run her up just to blow out all the carbon.

So, what constitutes a load? Iím sure it varies from engine to engine but is there a general rule of thumb? When the engine is in gear? Above idle-forward rpm?
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: What constitutes a load on a diesel engine?

I think you answered your own question: if your engine heats up to 160 at 1800rpm, then 1800 is your engine operating under load that is enough to "get it's juices flowing." I would operate it at that level to avoid excess carbon build up.

Tod
RichH and Tempest like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: What constitutes a load on a diesel engine?

Disclaimer: not a diesel mechanic

I had the same questions, and have found guidance that varies.

Load is more than just RPM. One major consideration is prop pitch. I believe that your engine's max intermittent rpm is 2500 rpm. ( low speed, high torque) The max continuous rpm is 2250. It's my understanding that if a prop is pitched correctly you should be able to achieve or come very close to design criteria at WOT. (including temps) If you can't make max rpm, then that could be an indication of prop pitch or other issues.

Your operating temp from what I found ( closed system) is between 168 and 197 degrees.
Your hull speed is somewhere around 8.8 kn. based on your waterline.

For cruising, I've seen numerous recommendations to operate at between 75-80 % of design criteria. However, there's also plenty of anecdotal information of diesel owners who regularly operate at lower percentages to conserve fuel with no loss of engine life.

My engine's max rpm is 3,000. I typically cruise at 1800 rpm (60%) which seems to be a sweet spot. (@ 180 degrees temp) With a clean bottom and smooth sea, that will produce 4.8- 5 kn. However, I'll run at 2,000 if bucking a current, and I've occasionally had it up to 2500 rpm for a few hours at a time to load it up. ( with throttle left over). My engine is also 30 years old.

At between 1000 and 1200 rpm, you'd be operating at between 40 and 48 %, providing your prop is pitched correctly. It seems to be running cool (155 deg.) at that rpm. (if the gauge is accurate). 1800 rpm @ 160 degrees is 72%.

I believe it's more important for its' health to run an engine at proper operating temperature. Once that's achieved, I don't think you hurt the engine running at lower RPM at temp and conserving fuel. You could do a series of runs at various speeds and fill the tank to record the difference in consumption.

http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/R...20Handbook.pdf

See my disclaimer above.

Last edited by Tempest; 10-28-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.