Plastic bolts! $&@$? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 5 Days Ago
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 33
Thanked 95 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Plastic bolts! $&@$?

I've had one of those days.

Doing a simple oil and filter change so head to the chandlery for oil and filters.

Start with the Racor which should take precisely 3 seconds to change the filter.

But theres gunk in the bowl. So I open the stupid reverse direction valve to clear it, but the gunk won't come out. So I pull the whole Racor out - who mounts them there? And pull it apart and clean it but cant get to all the gunk so unscrew the plastic bolt in the side of the bowl.

Plastic bolt breaks.

Back to the chandlery for an $11 plastic Racor bolt.
Fix fuel system, and final fuel filter and run engine to make sure fuel is OK and warm the oil for extraction.
Pump out the oil, replace with new oil... THEN realise I didnt change the bloody oil filter!
Pump out the cold new oil now mixed with old oil.
Back to the chandlery 3 time in a day for more oil.

Wasted $30 of oil.



BOATS!
__________________
Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 5 Days Ago at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 5 Days Ago
Old enough to know better
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 2,339
Thanks: 18
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 9
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Only three trips? good day if you ask me!
gamayun and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 5 Days Ago
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,835
Thanks: 15
Thanked 116 Times in 110 Posts
Rep Power: 7
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I've had one of those days.

Doing a simple oil and filter change so head to the chandlery for oil and filters.

Start with the Racor which should take precisely 3 seconds to change the filter.

But theres gunk in the bowl. So I open the stupid reverse direction valve to clear it, but the gunk won't come out. So I pull the whole Racor out - who mounts them there? And pull it apart and clean it but cant get to all the gunk so unscrew the plastic bolt in the side of the bowl.

Plastic bolt breaks.

Back to the chandlery for an $11 plastic Racor bolt.
Fix fuel system, and final fuel filter and run engine to make sure fuel is OK and warm the oil for extraction.
Pump out the oil, replace with new oil... THEN realise I didnt change the bloody oil filter!
Pump out the cold new oil now mixed with old oil.
Back to the chandlery 3 time in a day for more oil.

Wasted $30 of oil.



BOATS!
Mark--The next time you need to clean the sediment bowl, the easiest method is to use a pressurized can of WD-40 with the long plastic straw attached. With the filter element removed from the filter canister, the WD-40 straw can be inserted through the vanes of the vortex generator. A few blasts of the WD-40 at several different positions will dislodge the debris that will collect at the bottom of the bowl. A splash of diesel will wash it out nicely. It may take a few "cycles" to completely clean the bowl but the process does work quite nicely. On our boat I have a plastic tube connected the the "drain" spout on the underside of the sediment bowl. By connecting this to a small bronze hand pump I am easily able to suction out the debris in the sediment bowl. The small amount of WD-40 that remains in the bowl easily mixes with the fuel and creates no problems.

FWIW...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 5 Days Ago at 07:30 PM. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (5 Days Ago)
  #4  
Old 5 Days Ago
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 33
Thanked 95 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Nice tricks!! Thanks for those ideas.
__________________
Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 5 Days Ago
Old enough to know better
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 2,339
Thanks: 18
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 9
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Mark--The next time you need to clean the sediment bowl, the easiest method is to use a pressurized can of WD-40 with the long plastic straw attached. With the filter element removed from the filter canister, the WD-40 straw can be inserted through the vanes of the vortex generator. A few blasts of the WD-40 at several different positions will dislodge the debris that will collect at the bottom of the bowl. A splash of diesel will wash it out nicely. It may take a few "cycles" to completely clean the bowl but the process does work quite nicely. On our boat I have a plastic tube connected the the "drain" spout on the underside of the sediment bowl. By connecting this to a small bronze hand pump I am easily able to suction out the debris in the sediment bowl. The small amount of WD-40 that remains in the bowl easily mixes with the fuel and creates no problems.

FWIW...
About the only thing WD-40 is really good at is cleaning. It will take off adhesive goo, and black marks off of fiberglass too. Just be sure to clean it off afterwards.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 5 Days Ago
TQA's Avatar
TQA TQA is offline
Bombay Explorer 44
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Rep Power: 6
TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
About the only thing WD-40 is really good at is cleaning. It will take off adhesive goo, and black marks off of fiberglass too. Just be sure to clean it off afterwards.
Ahh but back when I were a lad on the tools in Scotland I would often be called out to Mini which had come to a halt on a wet day.

Lift the bonnet, give the electrics a wee skoosh and it would fire right up.

I admit with a little shame to selling my 'only' can for 10 times it's shelf price to punters who had just seen the magic restart trick on quite a few occasions.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 5 Days Ago
just ducky
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 958
Thanks: 4
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 7
Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post


BOATS!
Just another day in Paradise right
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
__________________
Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 4 Days Ago
BarryL's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 3
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 12
BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Hey,

Why couldn't you just change the oil filter? Why did you have to pump out the new oil?

Barry
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
__________________
Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 4 Days Ago
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 33
Thanked 95 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Why couldn't you just change the oil filter? Why did you have to pump out the new oil?

Barry
Hi Barry,

If i unscrewed the oil filter I would have lost all the oil into the engine pan. So I had to pump it out anyway.

When I did the oil looked pretty murkey... It was definitly at the 150 hours, maybe a few seconds more, so I opted for a new gallon of oil.

So now I have a gallon with about 2 cups old oil in it. Being loath to waste that much money I am wondering what to do with it.

Any ideas?


Mark
__________________
Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 4 Days Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 2,296
Thanks: 2
Thanked 45 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 4
MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic bolts! $&@$?

WD40, the clue is in the name. WD - water displacement. That's what it's good for - displacing water from electrics, for example that low down Mini distributor! It was never supposed to be a lubricant, OR a penetrating fluid, but if you start using it for displacing water, you'll find out it's really good at it.
__________________
1984 Bristol 31.1
Alameda, California, USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C & C 35MkII forward Keel Bolts powdersnowsailor C & C 3 08-11-2013 09:31 PM
C&C 121 Keel Bolts CarpenterSF C & C 0 10-11-2010 12:36 AM
Keel Bolts on C&C 44 jonb Gear & Maintenance 4 04-12-2009 07:51 PM
MacGregor keel bolts & cables gjmoore2 MacGregor 1 08-07-2008 10:12 AM
Software Review: Plastic Canvas Design Studio by M&R Technologies - Blogger News Network NewsReader News Feeds 0 07-06-2007 11:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.