Raw water pump...what's normal? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-09-2015 Thread Starter

Raw water pump...what's normal?

I have a 1986 Westerbeke 27 and always motor on and off the dock. When I start the engine at the dock, I normally get exhaust water splashes right away, even if the boat has been sitting for a couple of weeks.

However, frequently when I start the engine after we've been sailing (in preparation to return to the dock), the only way I can get the exhaust water splashes is to rev the engine up high. (The engine starts fine in idle, but the pump will not suck up water at that speed.) It's as if all the bouncing around while sailing causes the pump to lose its prime and it cannot re-establish it without the engine being at a higher rpm. The impeller has been replaced and is fine. I've checked for blockages and there are none. My mechanic does not seem to be concerned, so maybe it's normal. I just do not recall having to do this on my prior boat, which had a Westerbeke 21, and I'm afraid that I'm putting unnecessary stress on the impeller.

What's a reasonable expectation for the raw water pump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-09-2015

Re: Raw water pump...what's normal?

Maybe the water that sits between the top of the waterlift and the end of the exhaust hose has drained out and the system is just filling back up?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-09-2015

How old is the heat exchanger?
post #4 of 26 Old 02-09-2015

Dock

Try not tilting the boat whilst sailing.
The big water thingy should be in the centre of the boat aligned fore and aft (i think) but it may still leak out if you jiggle the boat.
Then when you restart the engine it has to fill the big water thingy again.

But, of course, maybe I'm wrong

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #5 of 26 Old 02-10-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
How old is the heat exchanger?
It's original, so nearly 29 years.

West River, MD
post #6 of 26 Old 02-10-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Maybe the water that sits between the top of the waterlift and the end of the exhaust hose has drained out and the system is just filling back up?
Hmmm, I had not thought of that...I'll have to go below and check out the configuration of the hoses. However, my impression of the situation is that if I turned on the engine after sailing and just let it run in idle then I would not get water coming through. But, if I turn on the engine and increase the throttle, I do get water through. Seems to me if it was just a need to fill the waterlift back up then I would get water either way, just maybe a bit faster at higher RPMs?

West River, MD
post #7 of 26 Old 02-10-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Try not tilting the boat whilst sailing.
The big water thingy should be in the centre of the boat aligned fore and aft (i think) but it may still leak out if you jiggle the boat.
Then when you restart the engine it has to fill the big water thingy again.

But, of course, maybe I'm wrong
Hey Mark,
I can keep the boat from tilting when I'm just running the engine. But I soon as I use that vertical clothesline gizmo to haul up that big white flappy thingy, the boat starts to tilt. Haven't found the adjustment yet to stop that from happening. Although the screaming from the crew does tend to be distracting, so maybe that's why I haven't figured it out. So, I'll try not jiggling the boat so much and see how that works.

Seriously, it may be as you suggest, but I would have thought it would result in getting water splashes in either idle or higher RPMs, although maybe take longer in idle? That doesn't seem to be the case. But I could be all wrong and probably am.

Thanks!
Jim

West River, MD
post #8 of 26 Old 02-10-2015

Sometimes, pump efficiency is reduced by wear of the faceplate of the pump. Flipping the plate can restore efficiency if it hasn't already been flipped in the past.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
post #9 of 26 Old 02-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Hmmm, I had not thought of that...I'll have to go below and check out the configuration of the hoses. However, my impression of the situation is that if I turned on the engine after sailing and just let it run in idle then I would not get water coming through. But, if I turn on the engine and increase the throttle, I do get water through. Seems to me if it was just a need to fill the waterlift back up then I would get water either way, just maybe a bit faster at higher RPMs?
When was the exchanger last cleaned or replaced?
post #10 of 26 Old 02-10-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Sometimes, pump efficiency is reduced by wear of the faceplate of the pump. Flipping the plate can restore efficiency if it hasn't already been flipped in the past.
Currently has a Speedseal cover (was on the boat when I bought it 2 years ago), so it cannot be flipped. But I'll check that and if I see any wear I'll try replacing it and see if that helps. Thanks.

West River, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.